polkfan

4 Dcon 10" VS 2 Icon 12"

I'M looking to build a louder setup.

I currently had a Dcon 10" in a 1.15 cu/ft tuned to 31hz drived by a Memphis PRD1000.1 at 4 ohm( 300rms but never clamped it..)

I got the space build optimal box spec of those woofer but probably 5 cu/ft at 30hz.I like low tuned box.I listen to every style of music so i need good reponse.

IDK what way go..

Buy 3 other Dcon or 2 Icon 12" ??

For sure, I'll bought an other amp to well feed those woofers even if a keep Dcon line.. A solid 2000rms amp and i'll be gently with the gain.I like my driver cause it's sound very clear and i'm satisfied by is reponse.

Opinions?

Thanks

A true 2000 watts (yes music is dynamic), at full bore will be pushing the limits of the Dcon's powering handling. The Icon's have greater Xmax, but the Dcon's have greater cone surface IIRC.

Both choices will sound great, as for which one will be louder in your install, I cannot say for certain with out testing.

I think the Icons would be better for the power handling, but 4 Dcons would be cool since I havn't seen them used that much in multiple sub installs. Would be tuned in to that setup for sure!!

What's the coil configuration of the Dcon you have now? If it is a single 4ohm, 3 more with it would give a 1 ohm load and the amp you listed (Memphis PRD1000.1) does 1000watts @ 1ohm. That would give you 250 per sub which might put you were you want to be.

What's the coil configuration of the Dcon you have now? If it is a single 4ohm, 3 more with it would give a 1 ohm load and the amp you listed (Memphis PRD1000.1) does 1000watts @ 1ohm. That would give you 250 per sub which might put you were you want to be.

Yes a got the single 4 ohm version.I think I'll try it and probably buy an other amp if i like the setup.

BTW, Dcon should not be hard to sell if I want to upgrade but i'm still wondering if I'm better to go with the Icon..

If you have room for a quad setup of DCONS I think you maybe surprised at the output! When properly installed in an accurate ported enclosure with a properly setup amplifier, you can achieve great output without having to run more than 1,000 watts.

If you have room for a quad setup of DCONS I think you maybe surprised at the output! When properly installed in an accurate ported enclosure with a properly setup amplifier, you can achieve great output without having to run more than 1,000 watts.

^^ What he said!!!

I agree with the guys above, rock the 4 dcons FTMFW !

:dancing:

It would be like this with 4!!!!!

:dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing:

Go with whichever ones would be in an optimal enclosure.

I suggest 2 Icon's 12" !!!

If you can sell 1 dcon, do it because it will be harder to sell 4 of them later when you'll want to upgrade.And I know you will want to upgrade!!!!!!!!!

:morepower1::morepower1:

Icon's will sound very good on 2000 watts in a good custom ported box. They will be easy to sell, if you ever want to sell them one day. 2 12"s is a more common setup than 4 10"s.

:dancing::dancing:

There is a member here with a quad of Dcon 10's in a Volvo, and he said it is awesome. I believe the build log is posted here.

There is a member here with a quad of Dcon 10's in a Volvo, and he said it is awesome. I believe the build log is posted here.

Yes I remember that build log.He was running it with a sundown 1000 w amp, a nice stup.

I suggest 2 Icon's 12" !!!

If you can sell 1 dcon, do it because it will be harder to sell 4 of them later when you'll want to upgrade.And I know you will want to upgrade!!!!!!!!!

:morepower1::morepower1:

Icon's will sound very good on 2000 watts in a good custom ported box. They will be easy to sell, if you ever want to sell them one day. 2 12"s is a more common setup than 4 10"s.

:dancing::dancing:

Currently, the only reason because i prefer the 2 icon is cause it's simplier but he'll need more power and i dont think I'll upgrade for more after 4 dcon cause i'll need more power for and and dont want to go higher than 2000w because I dont had the electrical currently .I'll upgrade other parts before my woofer.So 4 Dcon look like a good compromise for me! I just change my cars so I'M planning my rebuild.

I'm open to other suggestions too.

Dont say 4 Dcon cause I dont had the space :suicide-santa:

Edited by polkfan

2000 is a lot of power for 4 dcons ? But enough for 2 Icon's!!

I did not look at the costs. There must be differences !

For sure, 4 dcons will look good in a car. Is it important for you ? I can understand that.

:popcorn::lol2:

2000 is a lot of power for 4 dcons ? But enough for 2 Icon's!!

I did not look at the costs. There must be differences !

For sure, 4 dcons will look good in a car. Is it important for you ? I can understand that.

:popcorn::lol2:

Yea 2000 is alot for them but after amp rise, volt drop, ect..I preffer to had a lil more range to play and be gentle with the gain.The overall Look isn't very Important but a like my Dcon that's why I'M confident with that setup and It isn't power angry.

Finally, 4 Dcon 10" on my 1000w at 1ohm amp should me a nice start to me :drink40: I was thinking bulding a box between 4.5 and 5 cu/ft box tuned to 30-32hz 2 sub front, 2 sub up and port back or side in the hatch of an Elantra GT with seat folded down.

Make sure you make a build log. :)

Probably but the build will probably start on spring cause winter is coming( I'M in QC, Canada) and i don't had any garage to build it... :suicide-santa:

I just bought my car and i want to made a proper sound damping job before too so I had to wait... Winter will be loooong...

You're patient.

I couldn't wait so long for a build !!! I can't even wait a week to install any equipment !!!

At least you will be able to save some money during the wait.

:captain:

Probably but the build will probably start on spring cause winter is coming( I'M in QC, Canada) and i don't had any garage to build it... :suicide-santa:

I just bought my car and i want to made a proper sound damping job before too so I had to wait... Winter will be loooong...

Call Don at SDS ASAP. ;)

You're patient.

I couldn't wait so long for a build !!! I can't even wait a week to install any equipment !!!

At least you will be able to save some money during the wait.

:captain:

Yes I patient... No I don't !!! loll

I Just installed my CD5030 Deck for now.

Denim :SDS look to had good product !!

Edited by polkfan

:)

DoctorQ had the 4 dcon's in his volvo facing forward, very clean looking.. I keep track of the Volvo's :x

I think youd be better off with the 2 icons for a couple of reasons: thermal capability, less wiring, more manageable, and enclosure optimization. Just my .02 cents. either way you will be happy but with the 2 icons = more piece of mind, and as mentioned above greater chance of selling them.