slim142

AA Carbon Mids

Few questions

Are they really 7 inches? or just 6.5?

Also, whats a good crossover point for them? Will they play good down to 80hz and up to 3500Hz?

For the ones who have experienced them, how is the midbass response on them? Clear and loud? Do they hit good enough for their size?

Yeah they are 7", Im a PA speaker guy but I lover these speakers. The AA Carbons have great midbass and excellent vocals to be a car audio mid, if I were to go back to car audio speakers these will be the ones I would choose.

I have an extra one sitting around that is new, during shipping the paper/cardboard material holding the positive lead ripped. Just need to be glued together, the speaker works flawlessly otherwise. If interested to test out or just use to get an understanding of active i will sell it to you. I was going to use it in a speaker shelf system but looks like Ill never get around to doing that.

Yeah they are 7", Im a PA speaker guy but I lover these speakers. They have great midbass and excellent vocals to be a car audio mid, if I were to go back to car audio speakers these will be the ones I would choose.

I have an extra one sitting around that is new, during shipping the paper/cardboard material holding the positive lead ripped. Just need to be glued together, the speaker works flawlessly otherwise. If interested to test out or just use to get an understanding of active i will sell it to you. I was going to use it in a speaker shelf system but looks like Ill never get around to doing that.

Go back to car audio speakers? What you mean? You are not into car audio anymore?

And Im just asking around about the mids, not really thinking into getting them anytime soon. Especially now that I just found out they are oversized 6.5s which would mean a bit of modification in my doors.

With a baffle you would be fine, they are not that much oversized but they wont fit into a factory 6.5" speaker hole.

Naw im still into car audio, instead of using your everyday car audio speakers for mids/highs I just use pro audio speakers. Pro Audio speakers lack the midbass but make up for it in the midrange region, more sensitive drivers that dont take a lot of power to get loud and clear. Not to much of an sq type of speaker but with eq'ing they can sound good.

I have mine crossed at 50 hz and 2500 hz with no problems. Very good speakers, well worth making a baffle for them.

I have mine crossed at 50 hz and 2500 hz with no problems. Very good speakers, well worth making a baffle for them.

WOW! 7inch woofer playing that low? How come? why? and how do you avoid distortion at loud volumes?

Because they have 11.5mm of 1 way linear excursion :)

Ballsy mid man..i've got mine @ 56Hz on the bottom end :)

So linear excursion is that xmax thing isnt it?

Wow, 11.5mm makes my Bravox CS60CF feel like a noob!!! their xmax is 3mm

Well, Im not running active anyways, carbons would have needed an amp, more wiring and tweeters. So instead of coming out $225, more like $600

Btw Nick, why run the mid so low? Do yo dislike midbass (8") drivers? Where are your subs (LPF) crossed at? since your carbons are at 53...

Edited by slim142

With a cone that big, and xmax that high it has no problem being double duty midbass and midrange.

I think I know what I will be replacing my bravox woofers with

So linear excursion is that xmax thing isnt it?

Wow, 11.5mm makes my Bravox CS60CF feel like a noob!!! their xmax is 3mm

Well, Im not running active anyways, carbons would have needed an amp, more wiring and tweeters. So instead of coming out $225, more like $600

Btw Nick, why run the mid so low? Do yo dislike midbass (8") drivers? Where are your subs (LPF) crossed at? since your carbons are at 53...

SQ...any idiot that says you need to run a subwoofer up to 80Hz simply does not get the sound quality game (The higher you cross those things over the easier it is to locate in your car). I've ran my mids without a HPF many times at shows and what not (granted this is a controlled environment and I know what I am doing) and got rave reviews for my subs stage..that wasn't even there :)

I don't need an 8" midbass driver if I've got the carbons. They do whatever the 8 would do and more..cleaner.

Split coil technology is great :) I think I had the sub low passed on a 12dB/octave slope around 50Hz or so IIRC. Right off the top of my head I cannot remember.

I cross all of my stuff over very low..just personal taste and tricks of the trade.

SQ...any idiot that says you need to run a subwoofer up to 80Hz simply does not get the sound quality game (The higher you cross those things over the easier it is to locate in your car). I've ran my mids without a HPF many times at shows and what not (granted this is a controlled environment and I know what I am doing) and got rave reviews for my subs stage..that wasn't even there :)

I don't need an 8" midbass driver if I've got the carbons. They do whatever the 8 would do and more..cleaner.

Split coil technology is great :) I think I had the sub low passed on a 12dB/octave slope around 50Hz or so IIRC. Right off the top of my head I cannot remember.

I cross all of my stuff over very low..just personal taste and tricks of the trade.

I see, interesting post you have there sir :popcorn:

Were those "reviews for subs that were not there" done with one pair of carbons? (one carbon per door, front doors only)?

Would you say that with 3 pairs of carbons (3 carbons per door, front doors only) would be more than enough for midbass? Will they really kick to the point it feels like you had an 8" in each door? (yes I know, I wish I had AA next door so I could try it myself)

Also, how high can the carbons go? 2500hz? 3500hz?

2500Hz is fine

If that isn't enough midbass I'm not sure what else to suggest to you :)

These AA Carbons are on my next to purchase list!

What kind of power are you sending to yours, nick?

Good question..

I honestly don't know. I don't look at power ratings or amplifier ratings or anything, I know when a speaker is pissed and is having enough.

In the truck i had a kicker 800.4 per door...so the 2 rear channels on 4 of them so say 100 watts a mid or so?

Good question..

I honestly don't know. I don't look at power ratings or amplifier ratings or anything, I know when a speaker is pissed and is having enough.

In the truck i had a kicker 800.4 per door...so the 2 rear channels on 4 of them so say 100 watts a mid or so?

I hear what you're saying. That makes me feel better, i remember you telling someone that their 100.4 wont do the mids justice (with 2 mids and 2 tweets on the amp), IIRC.

They were not running an external crossover unit :) is why i said that.

2500Hz is fine

If that isn't enough midbass I'm not sure what else to suggest to you :)

Well, they look like they will be enough midbass haha

But just want to know, how high can they go. I thought about 3500hz, but looks like between 2500hz-3000hz is their sweet spot isnt it?

These AA Carbons are on my next to purchase list!

You already have midbass!!! :roflmao:

Now that we are talking about power, Im thinking about pairing carbons with either a sax 125.2 or 100.4

Is that good, too much or not enough? Sorry for the question, but I cant seem to find their rms ratings

Edited by slim142

Can't do 125.2 go 100.4..

Why not, they are 4 ohm drivers so he could easily run two pairs on a 125.2. Were talking about the mids and not the component set as a whole.

I've got mine crossed over at 2300Hz myself..

They're good out to 5K..but I don't like running a mid that high.

i run a set active on the rear channels of a 100.4 and love them, im looking to get a second pair and do a dual 3 way setup. Although these do have great midbass ill be using 2e8v2s per door, 2 aa mids per door and the 200.4 and a 125.2 on 4 id nx30 tweets. When crossed higher ie 120-140 they can take more power and just scream.