cydacoustics

SA-8 for SQ?

I selected a SA-8 as a Demo sub for my community. It happens that the majority have small cars, children, & want to save some trunk space shopping. also they listened to a wide genre not just rap. overall they want to hear nice sounding bass (quality more than output).

Can someone advised me ideas and experince using an SA-8 for SQ applications. so far my design is to used 1 3 inch aeroport on 1cu/ft net box on 30hz. it will be powered by saz-1500 at 2ohms

If you have any ideas & experience on this kind of appilcication. feel free to let me know before I start.

Thanks!

I was actually thinking the same thing. I was thinking something more along the lines of 0.80 gross (then subtract your sub and port displacement from that) what is the purpose for tuning at 30hz? Im leaning towards that not being enough port area either, I personally would lean towards 1 4inch aero tuned to 33-34hz. In my personal testing and playing around with boxs tuning as low as 30hz kinda rolls off hard in the upper freq range like 42+ tuned at 33hz would play up to 46hz.....play around with it.

welcome to SSA !!! Where you from again ?? what type of vehicle this going in ??

I was actually thinking the same thing. I was thinking something more along the lines of 0.80 gross (then subtract your sub and port displacement from that) what is the purpose for tuning at 30hz? Im leaning towards that not being enough port area either, I personally would lean towards 1 4inch aero tuned to 33-34hz. In my personal testing and playing around with boxs tuning as low as 30hz kinda rolls off hard in the upper freq range like 42+ tuned at 33hz would play up to 46hz.....play around with it.

Come on. 0.80 Gross?? LOL. Obviously you have never built a real box.

I have an 8" sub in a boxed tuned to 30Hz that is .65 cuft NET. Gross it is more than 3 cuft. 0.80 Gross will NEVER work.

Your rolloff comments are absurd as well. Do you have experience with the SA-8 in a 30Hz box? Your personal testing must have been with a seriously poor design as it will easily play WELL beyond 42Hz.

And now that we've cleared that up. The problem with an 8" for the OP and ported is that it won't fit the small box requirement that you may have defined by your demographic. Sealed on the other hand would work rather well, in particular if it can still give the output needed for what you are trying to accomplish. When I ran my 8" sealed it was enough to keep up with my front stage, but it ran out of steam for any basshead. Reference levels were tough on it as well.

Can it work? You bet. The question is what compromises are you willing to make. Luckily in your case considering you are asking about SQ setups the front stage will make a WAY bigger difference than what sub you run.

welcome to SSA !!! Where you from again ?? what type of vehicle this going in ??

I am from weather crap England. well actaully I just want to build an enclosure for an SA-8 powered by the installs in my car with cables long enough to reach the car behind/beside me so I can play it in their own vehicles so that they have a glimpse of what its like in their car. rather than them listening inside mine.

The box is going to be too large at a full cube, IMO.

For sealed go with 0.25 or so.

thanks sir! so 1cubes too large. how about .75cubes?

I am from weather crap England. well actaully I just want to build an enclosure for an SA-8 powered by the installs in my car with cables long enough to reach the car behind/beside me so I can play it in their own vehicles so that they have a glimpse of what its like in their car. rather than them listening inside mine.

Awesome !!! I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath Air Force Base years ago ... Beautiful country !!!

Awesome !!! I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath Air Force Base years ago ... Beautiful country !!!

Thanks bro! let me know when are you gonna be back on service...

The E8 is discontinued.

Thanks bro! let me know when are you gonna be back on service...

I'm out, been out of the service for years. I'm a Cable Guy now ... But I really wish I could go back to visit.

For sealed go .25 and swap the SA-8 for an E8.

Cant find e8 in their website...

This is E8-V2:

I have ran many box and sub configurations with my sa-8s. just recently i was running 1 sa8 on a saz1500d at 2 ohms in 1 cube and had great results. i have ran 4 sa8s in 2.2 cubes on 3k and had failures. its just depends on how hard you push them and how you set your amp. i assume if your looking at a SQ set up you dont need much power and your not pushing it to its limits like me. i say go for it.

To M5 realistically all you do is come and bash people, the op simply asked for advice, I noted what worked for me, you noted what worked for you plain an simple, you seem to know little to nothing about SPL an always lean more towards SQ in your apps which is fine, nor do I mind your negative attitude towards many members, but you do understand that your not audio god nor are you always right dont you? Further more the Person that actually maked the brand suggested roughly the same size I did imagine that. Have I used the SA-8 yep several times and in my testing I have already mentioned what worked best for me. Jacob uses the sub in 1cube in a crx with solid results simple as that. If you dont like what someone else does or thinks you dont have to acknowledge them you know that right? :eek5wavey:

To Op for your application your best bet is going to be play around with boxs a little tried sealed, try ported see what is most appealing and obviously perfect that until your as satisfied as you can be with your project then share it.

To M5 realistically all you do is come and bash people, the op simply asked for advice, I noted what worked for me, you noted what worked for you plain an simple, you seem to know little to nothing about SPL an always lean more towards SQ in your apps which is fine, nor do I mind your negative attitude towards many members, but you do understand that your not audio god nor are you always right dont you? Further more the Person that actually maked the brand suggested roughly the same size I did imagine that. Have I used the SA-8 yep several times and in my testing I have already mentioned what worked best for me. Jacob uses the sub in 1cube in a crx with solid results simple as that. If you dont like what someone else does or thinks you dont have to acknowledge them you know that right? :eek5wavey:

To Op for your application your best bet is going to be play around with boxs a little tried sealed, try ported see what is most appealing and obviously perfect that until your as satisfied as you can be with your project then share it.

There is quite a difference in 80 cubes and 1 cube, 20% to be exact :lol2:

To M5 realistically all you do is come and bash people, the op simply asked for advice, I noted what worked for me, you noted what worked for you plain an simple, you seem to know little to nothing about SPL an always lean more towards SQ in your apps which is fine, nor do I mind your negative attitude towards many members, but you do understand that your not audio god nor are you always right dont you?

The OP asked for more of a SQ setup, "I selected a SA-8 as a Demo sub for my community. It happens that the majority have small cars, children, & want to save some trunk space shopping. also they listened to a wide genre not just rap. overall they want to hear nice sounding bass (quality more than output)... Can someone advised me ideas and experince using an SA-8 for SQ applications".

So M5 posting about the quality of music they want is completely relevant, while your spl comments aren't, in this case.

M5. WTF are you talking about... 3 cubes?

Before displacement

Nobody said 80 cubes 0.80 was mentioned either or keep it more so on topic. Lets get clarification on Sq vs SPL vs ""SQL""? That would be a great help to the OP

also they listened to a wide genre not just rap<<< that stands out to me, so your telling me techno normally in the 60+hz range is going to play as solid as rap 28-40hz being tuned at 30hz? A flat response from a box is ideal obviously. As I said before though its going to be more trial an error for you then what people are going to say on here. Start with a 1 cube box and work you way down try several tunings and even sealed and see where the sub shines for you. I could be wrong, but the reasoning behind M5 using such a large box would be to compensate for the low power being used.

OP just stick to Sundown guidelines and you should be okay. If your concerned try different size boxes and test to see what works best for your vehicle and applications.