outhopu

2005 Scion XB mini build

as long as its sealed to the door and vents outside the vehicle it will work. i bet deadening is going to be be needed, check out sounddeadenershowdown.com, great products there. id guess a hand full of tiles and some close cell foam would suffice (better yet, start a tread in the sound deadening section)

if you want to seal it up just make a fiberglass mold of the panel behind the subs and join that to the mdf.

I plan on bonding some MDF to the inside of the panel and also doing some type of damper material sheet.

Any ideas on what your planning on crossing them at?

I'll just play with it to see what works best. Probably between 90hz-120hz. I don't really want them playing into the mid bass region.

------------------------------------------------------------

Made some good progress this afternoon.

Made the backer piece that fills the void on the side and bottom.

Subs013.jpg

Tacked it to the baffle for test fittment.

Subs014.jpg

Just needs a little sanding and it should fit like a glove.

Subs015.jpg

Subs017.jpg

Tacked the trim panel on and sanded all the edges for a good fit of all the pieces.

I'm going to cut the opening around the subs where it's marked to get rid of the pointed pieces.

Subs021.jpg

Subs019.jpg

Subs020.jpg

looks great and sexy!!

Man you work fast. Fun build to follow. I'd cross over a little lower, especially if you have decent mids already.

looks nice man. i like it :fing34:

looks great and sexy!!

Thanks guys.

Man you work fast. Fun build to follow. I'd cross over a little lower, especially if you have decent mids already.

I'm getting a bit quicker lately but I'm still far to slow considering the back up of projects I need to complete.

I would've had more pics tonight but my router bit broke while cutting the openings in the grill panel I was working on.

x2

i dont like hearing much over 60 from my sub but i have decent midbass, start about 80 and go up and down.

Both the head unit and amp have a cross over option so it will be easy to play with the setting to see what sounds best.

Just about have the wood work dialed in now.

I routered all the corners tonight.

framepics004.jpg

framepics005.jpg

After that I got busy on making the grill panel. This will be removable and will be covered in grill cloth for a more stealth install. I bored a bunch of holes in it to lighten it up. Routered all the edges on this also so the openings won't show throught the grill cloth.

framepics006.jpg

It's coming together now.

framepics007.jpg

framepics008.jpg

I'm waiting on the grill cloth and grill pegs to get here to be able to finish the baffle up. I'll turn my attention to sorting out a good way of mounting all this to the door in the mean time.

very nice, thought you where going to fill it with mids and highs for a sec.

:fing34: good idea on the weight loss. Coming together nicely

Thats funny. I didn't think anything about it until you mentioned it then I looked at the pic again and could picture a bunch of mids and tweets mounted there. Thats not my style thankfully.

Thats funny. I didn't think anything about it until you mentioned it then I looked at the pic again and could picture a bunch of mids and tweets mounted there. Thats not my style thankfully.

mine eather i keep it simple.

I have my plan of attack figured out for mounting this to the door. I got started on the bracket for the upper edge.

I welded up a piece that I can glue and screw to the baffle and then bolt to the door. I'll use some form of weather stripping or silicon to seal it up and keep it from sqeeking.

framepics016.jpg

It follows the curve of the door so I can torque it down without distorting the door or baffle.

framepics017.jpg

I also decided to lighten the bottom baffle after feeling the difference in the grill panel after boring the holes open.

framepics018.jpg

I need to pick up some fasteners tomorrow and hopefully get it bolted up to the door for a test fit.

Got the bracket glued and srewed in place. I also welded some bolts in it so I only need to use 1 wrench for tightening the fasteners.

framepics001-1.jpg

Also got all the other mounting holes drilled and had to get creative on a few of the bolts. These bolts get sandwiched between the base layer and trim panel. I welded a tab on them to keep them from turning.

framepics002-1.jpg

Then I notched the panel for them to sit flush.

framepics004-1.jpg

Everything is glued and screwed. Just need to let it sit until the glue sets up.

framepics005-1.jpg

The rest of the parts for doing the grill came today so thats next on the list.

Digging the tabs and welded screws down, nothing beats simplicity.

Really wish I could hear this when it's all done :wub:

I wish I had your faith and patience to do something like this, usually I want it to be simple but you take it to a whole other level even when its a simple build. :bigok::drink40:

Looks nice man.

I am curious as to how it will sound. It's not sealed, it's not IB, it's a hybrid. lol

More Pics!!!

Thats the one big downside to audio builds. How it sounds is what really matters in the end but we have no way of knowing on a forum. I'll report how it sounds when it's up and running at least.

I wish I had your faith and patience to do something like this, usually I want it to be simple but you take it to a whole other level even when its a simple build. :bigok::drink40:

I was going to just slap a box in the back but then I'd end up having to remove it all the time for more room. So the time spent doesn't bother me since I'll be able to load up the car for and go on a road trip without leaving the sounds behind.

Looks nice man.

I am curious as to how it will sound. It's not sealed, it's not IB, it's a hybrid. lol

More Pics!!!

I really don't know what to expect out of it. I have a feeling it's going to sound close to what a sealed box does.

Thats the one big downside to audio builds. How it sounds is what really matters in the end but we have no way of knowing on a forum. I'll report how it sounds when it's up and running at least.

I was going to just slap a box in the back but then I'd end up having to remove it all the time for more room. So the time spent doesn't bother me since I'll be able to load up the car for and go on a road trip without leaving the sounds behind.

Looks nice man.

More Pics!!!

I really don't know what to expect out of it. I have a feeling it's going to sound close to what a sealed box does.

It's going to sound like sex for your ears :)

It's coming out sick man! Can't wait to see the finished product! :popcorn::drink40:

It's coming out sick man! Can't wait to see the finished product! :popcorn::drink40:

Thanks.

Got busy on the grill tonight. Using these ball studs to hold the grill on.

framepics008-1.jpg

Pressed all the cups into the baffle. I probably used way more than needed but I didn't want the grill to slap against the baffle.

framepics006-1.jpg

I also installed the ball end in the grill but forgot to take pics. I put some aluminum screen on the back of the grill to give extra protection against damage since the grill cloth isn't very sturdy. I had to slap a coat of black on it because the bare wood was showing through the grill cloth.

framepics007-1.jpg

very impressive work right there. seeing your build has made me think about doing similar just so i gain my trunk space back