Sign in to follow this  
Electrodynamic

Wire Ring has started

I sent out two 15' pieces of Omni speaker wire to Ryan yesterday. The list of demoees is as follows (in shipping order as well):

Ryan M.

Brad E.

Jason G.

Nick B.

Nick C.

Keith M.

Justin T.

That's the official demo ring. I forgot to add to the letter that I supplied with the wire that the wire is directional, so watch out for that. Other than that, let it begin!

:foshizzle:

You never gave me your address. If someone wants to ship it to you (Jason) they can, but I needed your address...slacker. :P

Are these true ABX blind tests?

Otherwise...I sort of fail to see the point.

Directional like a diode? OR directional in that to get the "ultimate" in sound you have to have it going one way?

My tests will be simply swapping the wire out for what I have now on one side only and possibly some subwoofer duty.

Are these true ABX blind tests?

Otherwise...I sort of fail to see the point.

I picked it out A-B without knowing which was which... and I'm a huge skeptic of these sorts of things.

Yep, Jake was totally blind. I even had Omni wire ran to both speakers so if he was looking hard he could see that both speakers were "wired" up when only one of them was actually wired with the Omni. The other wire I had ran was Monster Cable.

Jake couldn't believe it when I started harping on it but my boss kept harping on me about my "$hitty wire" when I was using Tributaries 12 gauge in my Del Sol. I told him I'd give the Omni and shot and I bought 500' after I demo'd it. I ran about 160' in the Del Sol, re-wired the Esprit line arrays with it, my dad re-wired his HT room, I re-wired my HT room, etc. Having a receiver with the cabability to switch between wire instantly was an incredible experience. I always knew wire made a difference...but not that much of a difference!

Anyway, as the other topic states, it's time for people to put up or shut up. Bad mouth it only if you don't hear a difference. If you don't hear a difference...well I just won't go there.

Got it today.

Test 1: 10" KLH powered subwoofer.

Let me say, it's a biatch to desolder the factory wire from the plate amp. Resoldering was easy and to my surprise, this wire takes to soldering quite well.

Results: No detectable difference in sound to me. I even hooked it up both ways. Sounded the same as the wire from the factory.

On to do some more testing.

I noticed the biggest difference from the midbass area on up. I re-wired our Arua 15 and it sounded about the same also.

Anyway, keep testing. Post more results. [super troopers voice] do eeeeeet [/super troopers voice] :fing34:

After the first test I had pretty much concluded this wire is worthless. Of course, I have been a skeptic all along and the subwoofer test just helped.

BUT (Nick this is the second time you've done this to me)

HOLY CRAP!

I am still kind of in shock. It just baffles me. I don't know. You just have to hear it. On to the details.

Test 2: Eclipse 5303 (oldschool SQ deck), Alpine 3552 (oldschool SQ amp-4 channel), small bookshelf speaker consisiting of a 6" Dynavox and Morel MDT33s(you know you want them). The crossover is a custom one from an unnamed source I cannot reveal, and the wiring from the crossovers is some Canare stuff. I didn't make it, so I didn't care. Anyways. I listened to the setup wity my homemade speaker cable which consists of multistranded 14guage SIS twisted together in a vise with the drill. Sounds great, yadda yadda.

Hooked one side up with the Tara Labs wire. I about $hit. Immediately I could distinguish a "clearer" sound. The highs seemed brighter, the midrange was more detailed, and they seemed to have quite a bit more distinguishable punch. I had to go get the rest of my family They could all distinguish a difference between the sides.

Not to be outdone, I simply switched the cabling to the other side, and pretty much the same results as with the previous. It seemed to lack a little in comparison to the other side, but I attributed this to the recording of the material I was playing. The particular CD has always had a bias to the right side.

I'm pleasantly surprised so far.

Test 3: Sony ES HT 5.1 receiver (don't know the model number or care to look right now) running stereo to a pair of old Yamaha floor standers. The cabinets contain a 12" woofer, 5" mid, and 3" tweet. I have always loved these cumbersome units, but they could use some updated drivers and some better crossovers.

Pretty much the same results as in the last test, although I did some foolery with my brother on these. He could not distinguish a difference in sound in the first two tests I performed for him (that's because I didn't switch the cable yet). Wanted to establish a baseline.

Hooked up the right side with the Tara Labs cable, but I put it in the left speaker. Again, this is relating to the right bias of the recording. Pushed play on the cd player and began to listen. Immediately the left side (right output of the receiver) was noticeably more detailed than the right (left side of the receiver). My brother agreed. Switched cable left to right, the detail is now in the right speaker. Hmm.

Test4: Pioneer Premier DEH-P440; Deck power running stock drivers in my winter beater as of now.

This was more for humor than anything. I didn't notice any difference what-so-ever. Is this attributed to the internal amp on the headunit, the crappy drivers, or the fact that I am spliced into the factory wiring from the Pio's harness? No idea, but Tara Labs had ZERO effect in this test.

Overall impressions: My skepticism has always been a great quality for me. It helps to never get my expectations up when testing new products or ideas. Surely, as with everyone else, there was no way simple cable could produce a distinct "difference" in sound reproduction. It now seems to me as if it can. WHY? No idea. Psycho-acoustics, could be, but it's tough to challenge when your ear signals to your brain that something has changed, and for the better.

I'll reserve 100% judgement for now, as I'm more of the car audio nut that the home audio guru, and it didn't do much for the meager vehicular setup I currently have. I may just spend some money with MR. Lemmons and use this as a tepping stone for my Cobra. If it truly can improve upon a solid foundation, such as I had for the testing purposes outside the actual car environment, then I think it's money well spent.

These are my opinions only and take them as that.

glad to hear that i'm not hearing chit :)

I would have gotten in but been busy and won't have anything to hook it up to until my brothers house gets finished.

Question for you Nick. Is each person getting a run, or is one run going to be passsed around? Just wondering.

Question for you Nick.

Hey are the wires going anywhere near to MN? I would love to help someone with the AB tests if they are nearby.