Sign in to follow this  
Trappenin

Amplifier Recommendation for BL 15

As of right now, I have 2 800 watt sony amps. Its about 350 RMS at 2 ohms, and is unstable at 1 ohm.

My link

I have a BL 15, and I'm wondering if this severe underpowering of the sub is dangerous.

I don't have the money right now to upgrade on an amp.

Also, is it possible to use both the 800 watt amps to power the one 15?

I would not recommend using those amps, (bad reviews and way over rated), usually it is recommended to use an amp that is rated above the rms of the sub (sub rms 1000 w).

Wait until you have the money to buy a good mono block amp.

You also did not mention if the sub is a dual 2 ohm or dual 1 ohm?

Edited by StreetLegal

I would not recommend using those amps, (bad reviews and way over rated), usually it is recommended to use an amp that is rated above the rms of the sub (sub rms 1000 w).

Wait until you have the money to buy a good mono block amp.

You also did not mention if the sub is a dual 2 ohm or dual 1 ohm?

Those are the only amps I have :/.

Im just going to use one of them, can I expect to make the sub even move with that? Hahaha.

It is a dual two ohm.

If you own a DMM it is possible to use one amp on each coil of the sub, HOWEVER, you have to be certain the output of each of the amps is very close or it can cause damage eventually.

You'll want to use RCA splitters to get both amps the left and right channels. Second, find a CD or an MP3 of a test tone to play on loop so it's the same tone over and over again. Now, at this point you'll want to set the gains on the amps as you normally would except for one big detail, don't turn one up and then the other any significant amount. Tweak one up a few volts on the DMM, then the other to match the first one. Get the gains set where you want just make sure they're as close to the same output as possible. Do that, and you should be alright until you can save up the money to buy a good 1 ohm stable monoblock amp.

I wouldn't wait any longer than absolutely necessary to make the purchase either since if one amp decides to take a crap on you, you may not notice much of a change until it's too late and the sub is damaged. I've seen people screw up and run a sub on a single coil for months not realizing how it was supposed to be hooked up and I've also seen one get destroyed moments after getting power applied without one coil connected on accident. Every piece of equipment and situation is different. Running two amps, one to each coil isn't a dangerous practice in and of itself. Competitors have done it for years, especially back in the olden days of yore. They did it back then because the drivers could handle the power but the choices of high powered amps were limited and quite expensive. A person could theoretically put more power to a driver with less money in two smaller or cheaper amps, then with the one bigger one.

Ultimately I wouldn't do it myself, but I'm just saying, it's not impossible nor completely impractical to do so.

I have my BL 12 on a Sundown SAZ-1500D. I like it a lot. You could sell the two sony amps and look for a deal on something big, bad and 1 ohm stable. I got mine for $275 with a 1 year warranty.

Edited by Chainsaw

I have my BL 12 on a Sundown SAZ-1500D. I like it a lot. You could sell the two sony amps and look for a deal on something big, bad and 1 ohm stable. I got mine for $275 with a 1 year warranty.

That's what I'm saving up for. Haha. The price on their website intimidated me. And if I could get that price I would definately buy it. I payed $180 total for the 800 watt sony amp at Best Buy.

I've decided to just use one amp. I don't want to risk damaging the sub. This is my first good subwoofer. First two were Fusion subs. Haha

Do you guys think one 800 watt amp on my BL 15 (fully loaded if that matters :P) will make my Dodge Expresso Plymouth Breeze flex?

With the 12 inch fusion hooked up to 2 ohms I saw a little flex.

I just hope that this amp will be sufficient to at least make noise out of the sub. haha

There is no such thing as underpowering, and it doesn't hurt anything.

If you run one amp on each coil you do not have to worry about matching levels in the slightest. This is a big misconnception. Match them close only so one doesn't run out of gas before the other.

The only thing that will damage a sub is too much power.

Those amps will work fine.

There is no such thing as underpowering, and it doesn't hurt anything.

If you run one amp on each coil you do not have to worry about matching levels in the slightest. This is a big misconnception. Match them close only so one doesn't run out of gas before the other.

The only thing that will damage a sub is too much power.

Those amps will work fine.

So it'd be safe to hook 2 up? Running the RCA cables from the headunit to AMP 1's input, another set of cables from AMP 1's output to AMP 2's input?

And then hooking up the sub would be one pos and one neg to each amp? Should I put them both on the amps bridged channel?

Thanks for all the info guys.

Sorry for the double post, but I've just found an amp that I'm thinking about buying.

Amp

It's a SPL Audio Gorilla 3000 watt max. 900 RMS at 4 ohms, and 1700 at 1 ohm. Seeing as how those are the only two ways I can hook my 2 ohm DVC sub up, is this a good buy?

It only costs about $200 dollars. What do you guys think?

for 200$ You can go to dB-R electronics and get a Refurb'd SAZ-1200D!

Extremely sick, and is probably the better choice, good luck fella :)

Well I payed 180 for one of the sony 800 watt amps. Your saying that the spl audio amp will be a little better than the sony?

Well I payed 180 for one of the sony 800 watt amps. Your saying that the spl audio amp will be a little better than the sony?

Save up and don't just buy another piece of shit. 95 honda was right, no such thing as underpowering. A good budget amp would be the audioque 1200d and it would be fine on that sub. 249$ shipped on audioque.com.

Sign in to follow this