I am looking for a 4v preamp in dash dvd player. I have found a few nice kenwoods but they arent in dash dvds. I wanted a pioneer but it only has a 2v. Are there any solid 4v players that won't break the bank or am I just wasting my time looking?

I am looking for a 4v preamp in dash dvd player. I have found a few nice kenwoods but they arent in dash dvds. I wanted a pioneer but it only has a 2v. Are there any solid 4v players that won't break the bank or am I just wasting my time looking?

Why do you believe you need 4 volt vs 2 volt pre outs?

Output voltage on todays headunits don't really matter unless your running an obscene amount of amplifiers.

A lot of people say its better because you don't have to raise the gain anywhere close to as much? Among other things

I have an h u with 5v outputs, a Pioneer 88prs, but with the internal amp turnt off on the h u, I have to put the gain up high. My amps work fine without overheating (and it's 30° C / 86° F) everyday where I live !!! Sorry).

You just need to set the gain properly, and that's it. Let the amplifier do the job, its job !

A lot of people say its better because you don't have to raise the gain anywhere close to as much? Among other things

Then you should ignore those "a lot of people" as they don't know jack.

I beg to differ. It's kinda about noise rejection... mostly just for induced noise from the RCAs.

Say you're feeding an amp that makes 30v wide open with a 1v signal. The signal has to be 'multiplied' (which is actually what gain is measured in) 30 times.

If you have 100mV of induced noise then when you multiply that 30 times you'll get 3v of noise on your output.

If you feed the same amp with a 6v signal and adjust the gain accordingly then it only has to multiply the input 5 times to reach full output.

So your 100mV of noise only turns into 0.5v at the outputs...

I beg to differ. It's kinda about noise rejection... mostly just for induced noise from the RCAs.

Say you're feeding an amp that makes 30v wide open with a 1v signal. The signal has to be 'multiplied' (which is actually what gain is measured in) 30 times.

If you have 100mV of induced noise then when you multiply that 30 times you'll get 3v of noise on your output.

If you feed the same amp with a 6v signal and adjust the gain accordingly then it only has to multiply the input 5 times to reach full output.

So your 100mV of noise only turns into 0.5v at the outputs...

If you've got 100mV of noise you have other problems.

Here is an enlightening exercise for you:

Please re-do your argumentation in dB.

Then tell us how often is your 4v head unit outputting more than 2v? Be sure to discuss this under listening and not competition. Nobody cares about noise on burps.

You differ just went out the window...

Your argument is stated incorrectly from the start ;)

Higher voltage has nothing to do with rejecting more noise. The same amount of noise would be induced into the signal. The difference is the level that of that noise in relation to the level of the signal.

This is signal-to-noise ratio, not noise rejection.

But to save you some time......if you are picking up enough noise during the signal transfer that a 2V preamp output headunit isn't sufficient....then you have other problems in the system that need worked on first.

If the amplifier is generating enough noise with a higher gain setting that the noise is audible during playback, then you have other issues in the chain that need worked on first.

:drink40: LOVE the educated answers WITH excellent info to back it up. this was some what of a concern to me as well.. now its not.