sundownz

SA Series Revisions In The Works

You guys know I am always working to improve things! :drink40:

As good as the SA series is I sat down and though, "How can I make them better ?"

A few things came to mind on the 10/12/15 design :

1) I tested a different rear pole flare shape that is a little more efficient so I will be implementing that. As if the SA needed more thermal capacity, right ?

2) I am going to add a magnet ID shorting ring -- almost nothing in this price range has a shorting ring (the Type-R is one of the few I can think of). This will reduce inductive distortion and produce a bit less reactive impedance rise.

So these are some things I'll be working on introducing to the SA series around summer time. The shorting ring is the first revision that concerns me at all mixing with old models... most likely will not be a huge problem to mix, though. So the part number will not be changed to v.2

The shorting ring is actually quite expensive but I am using my newest cost savings from bringing in higher quantity to keep the cost the same for customers.

To date the SA series price has only changed about 6 dollars from the original pricing despite the constant improvements.

Should you wait for these if you are in the market now ? Most likely not -- while both are improvements they won't be night and day different.

-----

Now... for the SA-8 I have been testing some things for a little while now... I'm not quite done but I've come up with a few things.

I am still in the testing phase... but these changes include a different frame, newly custom tooled spider, and possibly an all new coil design.

For now I'll just post a picture of an early sample with the new frame as more testing is in order for these revisions. The new spider hasn't made it's way to me yet so data is limited

If all of this works out this WILL be a v.2 unit and not compatible with older units -- but no worries... I have several hundred of the current models on the way for anyone that needs a match to have their chance.

First_Sample.JPG

v.2 SA-8 First Sample... this one I was testing the new frame and coil -- the new spider is not done yet.

Looking forward to seeing the results from these new improvements

You must really like the type-r, you mention it often.

You must really like the type-r, you mention it often.

It has some very good design features -- it is a technology leader in it's price class for sure... especially the new one. Lots of cool and patented technology in it... as a speaker designer I am impressed by many of the features of it... more so after speaking with the engineer at CES.

Is the basket of the 8" going to be the same for all the upper sizes?

Is the basket of the 8" going to be the same for all the upper sizes?

No, it's not -- I used it on the 8" for the clearance. I am happy with the frame on the other sizes.

:dancing: Glad to hear that, I like the current frames on the other sizes as well!

Awesome! Always like seeing new items from Sundown whether it being just a revision or new model. That SA-8 looks super sexy on the new frame!

:morepower1:

Hell, I just got my SA-15's and havn't installed them yet and you are already redesigning!! Holy crap man!! Ain't no way I can keep up with the way you come out with new products and consistently try to improve them!! Thanks for the continued work and great products!!

Is the X driver going to be placed on the back burner with all these updates to SA's? Are you trying to get a platform going before you start producing other subs again, just curious as to see if the X driver or any of your other drivers will go these improvements if they have not already? Keep up the good work Jacob.

Is the X driver going to be placed on the back burner with all these updates to SA's? Are you trying to get a platform going before you start producing other subs again, just curious as to see if the X driver or any of your other drivers will go these improvements if they have not already? Keep up the good work Jacob.

I am working on all of these things at one time -- each item takes quite a bit of time between samples and testing so I work on other things while I'm waiting.

what time do you expect these to ship? Cause I have a friend that will buy my sa-15's off me right now. The 15's are getting the revisions also right?

Edited by Fearz

what time do you expect these to ship? Cause I have a friend that will buy my sa-15's off me right now. The 15's are getting the revisions also right?

See original post for both answers :

"So these are some things I'll be working on introducing to the SA series around summer time."

"A few things came to mind on the 10/12/15 design :"

See original post for both answers :

"So these are some things I'll be working on introducing to the SA series around summer time."

"A few things came to mind on the 10/12/15 design :"

My bad I read it and then forgot it in my excitement. When are you getting more d4 sa-15's? I'm trying to decide if I should wait or not. Thanks for time.

You've got at least 6 months till you see anything new, and as stated, the changes are minuscule and back compatible, so it wouldn't be wise to wait.

2) I am going to add a magnet ID shorting ring -- almost nothing in this price range has a shorting ring (the Type-R is one of the few I can think of). This will reduce inductive distortion and produce a bit less reactive impedance rise.

The shorting ring is actually quite expensive but I am using my newest cost savings from bringing in higher quantity to keep the cost the same for customers.

To date the SA series price has only changed about 6 dollars from the original pricing despite the constant improvements.

Should you wait for these if you are in the market now ? Most likely not -- while both are improvements they won't be night and day different

I got some initial specs in from the units with shorting ring and the inductance drop is quite large. For the SQ guys out there this will be a nice bonus in distortion reduction!

Another idea I'm toying with... brass plating the motors.

It would add no cost to the customer (some cost on my end of course) but would look really neat, IMO... I am getting a sample to see how it looks in person and post pictures.

Also since there is a conductive metal IN the gap it is a bit of additional inductance reduction. Not as much as actual thick sleeves but it's something :)

This would be a unique and different alternative to chrome to provide a better quality finish than black paint.

I got my samples in with shorting rings and new pole flares -- I will be breaking them in to measure T/S within a week or so in order to get "official" updated TS for the site for SA-10/12/15 :

CIMG4828.JPG

CIMG4829.JPG

* NEW FLARE

CIMG4830.JPG

* OLD FLARE

The flare will also allow people to immediately identify if an SA has a shorting ring or not -- as only SA-10/12/15s with this style flare will have a shorting ring.

Essentially the only real T/S change is the Le -- which dropped from 7.70 mH to 4.85 mH on the D4 coil :)