Sign in to follow this  
chevyboy1002

BTL Trouble

hey just recently got my btl 12 (quite the beast lol) and everything was all good until i got this dude to build my box...he "supposedly" contacted fi and got the box layout for my car which is a 92 camaro but i have my doubts...so its hooked up and the car shakes a lil bit but i can barely hear any bass...not sure if that makes sense but its kinda like its free airing even though its in the box...another thing is when i turned my amp up (aq2200) it made a like tapping noise like it wuz bottoming out or something, not really sure thats why i posted this also but is that another affect of the box cuz the impression i got from all the reviews was that the btl would take the 2200 without so much as a second thought but now its like its overpowering it...but yea if yall could help me out i would greatly appreciate it

Sounds like he screwed up, If you have that sub firing up at the back glass in a halfway decent box it would hit hard. Much less a FI recommended ported setup. Something sounds wrong

Check your speaker connections on the sub woofer and amp itself.

Do you have a design of the box? if not post up dimensions like stated above. Do you know the port length? measure the port width and height as well.

Fi doesn't have layouts for specific cars, so he either got a basic design for an optimal enclosure volume and it just happens to fit your car, or he adjusted dimensions it would fit, or he didn't actually contact them.

Mind posting a video of the driver when it sounds like it's "bottoming out", record the driver so we can see the excursion (not saying well be able to look and say it's moving by XXmm but it may help)

What are the settings on the amp set to. List all settings please.

hey bout to head to a friends house he has a camera and ill see if i can video it and ill get the demension and all while im there...thx for the help yall...ill post back in a lil bit

if there is any free software that i can design the box to show yall tell me cuz it would probably make it much easier but anyhow here goes...port is 5 x 5 1/2 and 26 1/2 deep...32" front to back, 41 3/4" wide....section over gas tank is 4 1/2" thick by 16 1/2" long...section in the well is 10 3/4 deep by 15 1/2 long...there is notch cut out for hood latch that is 2 3/4 by 13 1/2 wide by 10 3/4 deep...and there is another small space underneith it but it was kinda late and i didnt feel like taking box out to measure it but if i had to guess i'd say it is probably bout 1/2 a cube to 3/4 of a cube...sorry if its hard to understand gonna try to find something so i can draw the box out and put the demensions with it so it'll make more sense...thx again for the help....o and the camera that we used wasn't picking up the bottoming out sound or whatever it is...tried to post the picture of the box from photobucket but it said i wasn't allowed to use that image extension on this board

Edited by chevyboy1002

o didnt see the last thing you said about the settings...ill post what i got everything at before i go to work tomorrow

well found out what it was...the speaker wuz made with the positive and negative terminals reversed lol...actually never heard of that but once we swapped it was a huge difference so its all good now

Good to know !

How do you like this sub now ? (I love mine !).

its pretty sweet...it definately loves the lows...but from like mid 30hz and up its a good bit quieter so im goin around playin a bunch of slowed stuff lol...but yea still gotta get new alt and all that good stuff

The positive is always on one side and the negative on the other.

Regardless. I'm not sure which is which.

Look at the video on youtube when you type in Fi Car Audio, its how to wire in series or parallel. It tells you which side which is one.

But glad you figured it out. Sometimes it is the smallest things.

dude more port area holy crap how big is it? 3x3? for the 12" try to get 1.8-2cubes with about 14" sq per cube

Lots of excursion !!!

I've never seen mine moving that much !!!

But I think I have more port area : Bromo used the following rule for my box : 15ft2 for each cu ft, and I have 2.1 cu ft net.

Port area is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too small.

No wonder its moving as much as it is.

well found out what it was...the speaker wuz made with the positive and negative terminals reversed lol...actually never heard of that but once we swapped it was a huge difference so its all good now

that was my first thought when reading the ops first post. good deal.. i have seen it a million times... prolly second most common mistake made

Yes, get back to building, as the port is a wee bit too small.

what sizes would i need if i did aero?

12" btl right?

box volume? What's the height of the box?

cant remember exactly but it wuz 2.4something cubes after everthing....and on the sides its 10 1/2" tall and in middle its 19 1/2" tall

Sign in to follow this