Sign in to follow this  
nigel

tentatively looking for opinions

well, being who I am (very inquisitive by nature) I constantly find myself loomking at audio equipment, and as such, I always wonder to myself, hey that would be neat to have etc...

So, I keep looking at 15 inch subs lately for some reason, and more specifically, at the RE SEX15D4, has anyone on here have experience with it? I just may, and a big "may" be able to convince the wife to let me buy one..... maybe...

It'll be powered by a JBL GTO 601.1 amp. Again "if I can convince the wife"

Thanks for the advice in advance, even if it is for naught...

Edited by nigel

I deffinately know how that "convincing the wife" stuff goes ... Bset of luck to ya bro ...

I have not used the SEx series but I've used the REx series and SRx series and was pleased with overall performance of both for the money. We've been running over rms power to both series for well over a year (almost 2 years for the pair of SRx) with no problems at all

Well, got the green light from the wifey, wondering though if this is the sub for me. Looking at getting it to replace the OZ ME 12 that I currently have. Will be run off of a JBL 601 amp (rated for 580 watts rms) Would be installed in a vented enclosure, I personally like tuning in the 30-34 Hz range. Will build the enclosure my self to suit the driver. Going in the back of an x-cab S-10, can go up to ~4-5 cubes no sweat if needed.

What does every one think.

I like something that can get fairly loud while still maintaining decent sound quality. Not going to be used for comps (not interested in competing), just use it to listen on my drive to work and back, and when driving around.

Can anyone think of another 15" sub that comes in at $175.00 or less that is comparable or even better? Not really looking to buy used but maybe for the right sub. Would need to be able to be hooked up at 2 ohms and run off of ~600 watts as I'm not looking to buy a new amp at this time...

Well, got the green light from the wifey, wondering though if this is the sub for me. Looking at getting it to replace the OZ ME 12 that I currently have. Will be run off of a JBL 601 amp (rated for 580 watts rms) Would be installed in a vented enclosure, I personally like tuning in the 30-34 Hz range. Will build the enclosure my self to suit the driver. Going in the back of an x-cab S-10, can go up to ~4-5 cubes no sweat if needed.

What does every one think.

I like something that can get fairly loud while still maintaining decent sound quality. Not going to be used for comps (not interested in competing), just use it to listen on my drive to work and back, and when driving around.

Can anyone think of another 15" sub that comes in at $175.00 or less that is comparable or even better? Not really looking to buy used but maybe for the right sub. Would need to be able to be hooked up at 2 ohms and run off of ~600 watts as I'm not looking to buy a new amp at this time...

Its a bit out of your budget, but a nice Sa-15 would suit you well. It is rated at 600wrms and is known to get loud and sound good doing it. IMO, it would be the best subwoofer for your goals and you cant go wrong with it. :drink40:

Well i have no experience with new RE stuff. I would assume its decent but who knows :ughdunno: I personally bought a Fi X 10" and have 180 watts and it slams harder than my 2 RE re 8's off 400 watts. I love this Fi sub i would go look at there lines and see what kinda options they have for that money. I think SQ is great and spl is all i need at this point and its only a 10". My box is 1.14ft^3 tuned to 32hz just as reccomended.

yeah, but budget is the big issue. Too many other things that needs spending on right now. And being in canada, shipping/duties/brokerage/taxes crossing the border play a huge role. The RE SEX 15 is 174.99 after shipping/duties/brokerage/taxes it comes out to 249.48 (approx 253.09 CDN)

Although those SA's do look good...

The SSD line would be the one near what I'd be looking for, but their site won't give me any info on that line for some reason.

No real experience with the newer RE stuff but what kind of budget do you have to spend?

up to $175.00 US before shipping etc.

The Obsidian subwoofers are on pre order right now, 600w rms and should be quite nice for the price (138 + s&h). If I were looking for another 600w 15" sub (picked up 2 SA-15s), it would be my first choice.

The SSD line would be the one near what I'd be looking for, but their site won't give me any info on that line for some reason.

The SSD line is currently being upgraded. From what I hear, the new line is going to have neo magnets which really doesnt have any effect on the driver as far youre concerned. However, I do not know how long it will be until they are up for sale again. Feel free to search through the classifieds here for Sa-15s or comparable drivers; the guys on this site are not looking to sell you junk or rip you off so dont eliminate used equipment from your options.

well, did some looking around and saw only good reviews on the SEX line of Subs, and couldn't really find anything else in the same price range that overly appealed to me. Managed to get the price down to $159.99 as well, so after shipping/duties/brokerage/taxes it comes out to just over $230 at my door. So not too bad, especially considering when there was an RE dealer here in town, an SE 15 was ~$400.

Once it comes in I'll likely be looking for ideas as to an enclosure, as well as taking pics and giving my own review. Will keep everyone posted.

ok, the sub is here, now to get some wood, and build a box....

DSC_0968.jpg

I hate packaging peanuts (my 2 year old got them everywhere...)

DSC_0969.jpg

DSC_0971.jpg

DSC_0975.jpg

DSC_0977.jpg

DSC_0978.jpg

Edited by nigel