Tony Nelson

Center consol box build...just a few questions

I haven't seen much on center consol builds and what I have found people seem to frown on them, but my brother has always wanted to build a custom center consol for his truck. Its a 2006 Chevy Silverado extended cab. He now has my old equipment and we are going to start on it. The sub will be a 12" death. It will fit between the two front seats, firing towards the rear of the cab. The center consol will be built all the way to the bottom of the dash, so the required airspace won't be a problem. The only thing I'm really not sure on is how to run the ports. We could build it so that the port either fires towards the driver side/passenger side of the truck, or both.

Would have the subwoofer firing towards the rear of the cab and the ports exiting in the front cause anything wierd to happen? Would it even matter? This build isn't just for the sub though, there will be cup holders in it, a storage area with closing lid, a vertical rifle mount on the passenger side for his AR15 etc... Just wondering about the porting situation is all?

Any ideas or considerations would be great!!

Could you do a slot vent firing towards the passenger but maybe low enough to fire under the seat? If you draw it up on Sketchup what you have in mind, we may be able to help more.

I have built a few, mostly with an amp and sub together.

If you can, try and fire the sub and ports back... If you don't there is a greater chance to get a null right about at the front listening position, I only know this from experience in an extended cab F-150.

Other than that, I have had really good success with single 12" drivers...

If you fire the port under the dash or at it, soon the entire dash will sound like one big can of pennies it will rattle so bad. I would fire both towards the rear.

The console enclosures I've seen built are for Sound Quality "up front" stageing bass. (tuned very low) ...

I'm not shure if this is what you are looking for ... If you are I will find the pics that I have ...

Thanks for the replys. We were planning on tuning this low (28-30hz). The death row would be seeing about 1000 watts. It might be tough to route the port to the back, but depending on how high he wants to build it, we could always just slot port underneath the sub, firing towards the rear. The box should be pretty sturdy, as it will be 3/4 mdf and then covered with 1/2 some sort of nice wood, and then staind very dark, almost black most likely.

I might try to sketch it up for you guys to see what we are thinking, but I haven't used those types of programs much so it might be shitty.

In my head I was thinking about ending up with a big null or dead spot right around the listening area if the ports exited in the front and the sub in the rear, but I wasn't completely sure.

Keep some thoughts coming, they are great. I will talk to my brother some more and see what he wants to do. Thanks for all the help.

Tony Nelson

I have built quite a few for Dodge's. I found what works best is down fired sub with slot port facing the rear. But thats in a Dodge.

Chad

My console fires forward with the port to the side in the rear, It also puts the sub almost in the center of the cab and I will say first hand there is no null or dead spot in mine. Its also tuned at 29hz as well. So I wouldnt be too worried about the port being on the opposite side of the sub. Post some pics when the project gets going

If you fire the port under the dash or at it, soon the entire dash will sound like one big can of pennies it will rattle so bad. I would fire both towards the rear.

The problem with that is it will sound huge in the back seat, and not so much in the front seat. How do I know? I have a truck the SAME body style with a 12 ported in the console! My first console had sub downfiring with the port forward under the dash. It will do much better collectively if you do sub and port back.

ibanender same here.

my first center console build i wasnt very happy with... downfiring, aeroport forward.

once i decide what i want to run next i will be building either upfiring slot backward or sub front firing port up firing

with port front firing you do get alot of rattle though... got annoying at times

ibanender same here.

my first center console build i wasnt very happy with... downfiring, aeroport forward.

once i decide what i want to run next i will be building either upfiring slot backward or sub front firing port up firing

with port front firing you do get alot of rattle though... got annoying at times

I still think port back, sub back will do best, except maybe sub up, port back. I don't have any rattling problems except the occasional noise from the very back wall interior panel, which isn't deadened yet. If you do up firing, definitely make sure you're roof is deadened.

any decisions yet ??

I have talked to him about it. I think we will try to port to the rear, underneath the sub. We have just been busy with other projects and me with school. Almost finished with a 15" subwoofer project for his house. I will keep this thread updated when updates actually do come, or if I have any questions or ideas for you guys.

ibanender same here.

I still think port back, sub back will do best, except maybe sub up, port back. I don't have any rattling problems except the occasional noise from the very back wall interior panel, which isn't deadened yet. If you do up firing, definitely make sure you're roof is deadened.

thats what ive been thinking honestly. once i order my 2 sa8s or a 12 fi q, im more than likely running sub back, port back. unless i decide on the 8s then ill do sub up port back.

good luck tho ive heard good things out of the dp line from incriminator. and fairly easy to get a truck loud lol

It took a little longer then expected, but my brother and I finished his truck stereo. The center console came out great!!!! My brother did almost all of the fab work, as I was busy with school and couldn't help much. We decided to go with a sealed enclosure for the death row at about 1.5 cu ft. It sounds fantastic in his truck. I wouldn't hesitate to run them in sealed boxes. His front stage consists of aura sound buyouts and vifa tweets with the madisound XO for them.

Here are some pics of the build. Took a couple weeks to do everything.

imag0995.jpg

The box itself is in 3 parts. The enclosure for the sub, then the separate piece with cup holders, and the top piece that houses the enclosure from the stock center console.

imag0996.jpg

imag0997s.jpg

imag0999.jpg

imag1000d.jpg

imag1001.jpg

imag1002.jpg

The subwoofer just fit perfect for the width requirement between the two front seats.

imag1004.jpg

imag1007.jpg

imag1009.jpg

imag1010o.jpg

imag1012.jpg

The XO for front speakers

imag1013a.jpg

Modified the stock tweeter mount to fit the new tweeter.

imag1016.jpg

imag1017.jpg

The rockford amp is under the rear seat where stock jack was

imag1021.jpg

good finished pic

imag1024a.jpg

Overall we are both very happy with the results. He doesn't currently have a second amplifier for his front stage, but rca's are ran already as he will upgrade in the future. This is mostly his camping/fun rig and doesn't hardly drive it. The front speakers sound very good for what they are. total cost for those including XO was around $70 I believe. I have the same aura woofers in my car but paired with some TB tweets in the dash. I think they sound really well considering they are only $12 a woofer.

Next project will be his car but not sure when that will be.

looks like it came out good, very clean, i like how it all fits together and damn near looks factory

i ended up running one dc lvl 4 10 (from mac n cheese) in my center console in the ram not the 2 sa 8s. did sub up port to the side and boy did that thing get loud. selling the truck and getting something i can fit a 18 in cuz i got a sweet deal on a lvl 4xl recone and 18in basket :)

looks good bro, glad ur both happy with it

Looks Awesome there bro ... Turned out Great !!! :drink40: