xLogan225x

Peel and Seal?

And in case it wasn't clear. Do NOT buy Fatmat or Peel n Seal. They are a WASTE of money.

Here ya go. This is what you get to deal with once you realize asphalt is crap. this is ( FatMat. Our 50 mil nominal rubberized compound) not quite rubber like stated.

This is what i had to deal with a year after installing fatmat when the smell never went away and it didnt work worth a shit. Then i called Don at SDS.

Not trying to thread jack but i hate to someone go through what i did. Now you know better!

Great pics Steve, just shows at how shitty "rubberized compound" so called deadening really is.

Rattle Trap is asphalt, just a thicker layer of asphalt than P&S.
Anything to do with peal and seal or Fatmat is junk! Don't believe the hype it's all bullshit! Asphalt adhesive and a paper thin layer of aluminum makes for a waste of time and money!I would recommend reading through This website and you will get a better understanding of the applications of a true sounddeadening product.
From Fatmat: An important consideration in the sound dampening of automobiles, boats, homes, computers and buildings is of course selecting the correct products that will be most effective in your application. Here you find the product that started it all for us, FatMat. Our 50 mil nominal rubberized compound is covered with a shiny protective aluminum top as well as a waxed paper release bottom it's exactly what your looking for in order to stop those nasty rattles, eliminate road and outside noise, insulate your vehicle and dramatically improve the sound of your car audio stereo system. So it's not asphalt, just saying.
Rubberized compound compound is a euphemism used to mislead:Coated or treated with rubberRubber compounds are added to all products like these to stabilize the asphalt. These compounds break down quite quickly which is one of the most common reasons for failure. If you don't have the balls to admit that you're selling asphalt, you misdirect. You can sprinkle sugar on feces and say it contains sugar - which they did, but you can't say it doesn't contain shit - which you did.

Thanks for the insult! That's cool! Anyways, i haven't had a problem with it and i know people who have used it on the roof and the doors and they haven't had problems with it.

And in case it wasn't clear. Do NOT buy Fatmat or Peel n Seal. They are a WASTE of money.

Fatmat works, Peel n Seal doesn't. Not a waste of money but it is a good deal. Unless you have used it you can't say that it's a waste of money

Fatmat works, Peel n Seal doesn't. Not a waste of money but it is a good deal. Unless you have used it you can't say that it's a waste of money

Have you every compared the two, side by side? What differences do you see that would lead you to believe that one works and the other doesn't? I got into a debate with the new owner of Fatmat a few years ago. It was primarily about the composition of his product. He eventually agreed to remove the claim that Fatmat was butyl based from his Web site.

I asked him to explain the difference between Fatmat and Peel & Seal. This should be easy for him to do since his primary business is roofing supplies - he's a dealer for Peel & Seal and other MFM products. He never answered the question.

Before you ask, I have handled and tested both at the same time. I couldn't tell the difference. The owner of one brand and distributor of the other wouldn't say what the differences were. What do you know that neither of us could figure out?

If by working you mean they are a good underlayer for shingles, sure, but definitely not as a deadener in a car. I haven't used Fatmat, but I have done some consulting with the engineering director at the facility where its made which IMO is enough to know not to use them.

For this application it is DEFINITELY a waste of money.

Have you every compared the two, side by side? What differences do you see that would lead you to believe that one works and the other doesn't? I got into a debate with the new owner of Fatmat a few years ago. It was primarily about the composition of his product. He eventually agreed to remove the claim that Fatmat was butyl based from his Web site.

I asked him to explain the difference between Fatmat and Peel & Seal. This should be easy for him to do since his primary business is roofing supplies - he's a dealer for Peel & Seal and other MFM products. He never answered the question.

Before you ask, I have handled and tested both at the same time. I couldn't tell the difference. The owner of one brand and distributor of the other wouldn't say what the differences were. What do you know that neither of us could figure out?

The only difference i saw is that the Fatmat RattleTrap i used didn't fall off. Where as the Peel and Seal ended up falling off in 2 day or so. I have also heard the same thing from other people. That's the only difference.

If by working you mean they are a good underlayer for shingles, sure, but definitely not as a deadener in a car. I haven't used Fatmat, but I have done some consulting with the engineering director at the facility where its made which IMO is enough to know not to use them.

It actually does work as a deadener. I have even tested it with a license plate and you can tell the difference. Same with using it in a trunk. That's cool, but that's your opinion. But IMO it think it's good enough.

So maybe you should change it to; "For this application, in my opinion, it is DEFINITELY a waste of money."

NO. ///M5 is right it IS a waste of money.

It actually does work as a deadener. I have even tested it with a license plate and you can tell the difference. Same with using it in a trunk. That's cool, but that's your opinion. But IMO it think it's good enough.

So maybe you should change it to; "For this application, in my opinion, it is DEFINITELY a waste of money."

Ha, do you work for them or something? Either brainwashed or uneducated. It deadens some sure, but only while it is stuck on and what it does do it is not very effective at doing. Your opinion is wrong and not based on any scientific fact or understanding. Just because you think it works does not make it work. Per dollar it is not a good buy and therefore a waste of money.

Here ya go. This is what you get to deal with once you realize asphalt is crap. this is ( FatMat. Our 50 mil nominal rubberized compound) not quite rubber like stated.

This is what i had to deal with a year after installing fatmat when the smell never went away and it didnt work worth a shit. Then i called Don at SDS.

012.jpg013.jpg018.jpg016.jpg015.jpg

Not trying to thread jack but i hate to someone go through what i did. Now you know better!

This blows, definetly not buying any asphalt based shit. Im just gonna email Don.

:sleepwerd4::ohsnap::foshizzle:

Ha, do you work for them or something? Either brainwashed or uneducated. It deadens some sure, but only while it is stuck on and what it does do it is not very effective at doing. Your opinion is wrong and not based on any scientific fact or understanding. Just because you think it works does not make it work. Per dollar it is not a good buy and therefore a waste of money.

No i don't work for them man. I have used it and had higher numbers + deadening. I have looked at all the different deadeners and the normal FatMat is asphalt but the Rattle Trap is different. I honestly have used Peel and Seal, it all fell off of my doors. Used Fatmat Rattle Trap and nothing fell off. But everyone here is trying to say that Fatmat doesn't work but in reality is cheaper and it works just fine. Your opinion is wrong and not based on any scientific fact. The only thing i have read is that people have talked to other company's and been to the factory and they wouldn't buy it. It works just as good.

No i don't work for them man. I have used it and had higher numbers + deadening. I have looked at all the different deadeners and the normal FatMat is asphalt but the Rattle Trap is different. I honestly have used Peel and Seal, it all fell off of my doors. Used Fatmat Rattle Trap and nothing fell off. But everyone here is trying to say that Fatmat doesn't work but in reality is cheaper and it works just fine. Your opinion is wrong and not based on any scientific fact. The only thing i have read is that people have talked to other company's and been to the factory and they wouldn't buy it. It works just as good.

What part of rubberized compound is NOT butyl don't you understand?

The only difference i saw is that the Fatmat RattleTrap i used didn't fall off. Where as the Peel and Seal ended up falling off in 2 day or so. I have also heard the same thing from other people. That's the only difference.

This really comes down to your definition of "deadener" and "works". The license plate test doesn't prove your point. Anything that's softer than the plate and the back of the mounting surface will solve that problem - 10 cents worth of CCF or even some chewed gum would be more effective and easier. Decoupling the surfaces is the key here, not vibration damping.

Gaining SPL after applying the material is almost certainly the result of sealing air leaks. Again, many things will accomplish the same thing. That's really not "deadening" by any definition.

It's possible that you got some panel stiffening in the process. That's an advantage asphalt has, since it isn't a vibration damper, you don't get the offsetting conversion of vibration to heat. You also don't get a reliably durable product that can be counted on to last for several years and may result in a serious mess. If you don't care about that and are happy to address the issues indirectly and inefficiently, I guess it could make sense. None of that supports the idea that it works as a deadener.

It actually does work as a deadener. I have even tested it with a license plate and you can tell the difference. Same with using it in a trunk. That's cool, but that's your opinion. But IMO it think it's good enough.So maybe you should change it to; "For this application, in my opinion, it is DEFINITELY a waste of money."
What part of rubberized compound is NOT butyl don't you understand?

Well someone said it's just a play with their words but still. How exactly do you know it's not?

The only difference i saw is that the Fatmat RattleTrap i used didn't fall off. Where as the Peel and Seal ended up falling off in 2 day or so. I have also heard the same thing from other people. That's the only difference.It actually does work as a deadener. I have even tested it with a license plate and you can tell the difference. Same with using it in a trunk. That's cool, but that's your opinion. But IMO it think it's good enough.
This really comes down to your definition of "deadener" and "works". The license plate test doesn't prove your point. Anything that's softer than the plate and the back of the mounting surface will solve that problem - 10 cents worth of CCF or even some chewed gum would be more effective and easier. Decoupling the surfaces is the key here, not vibration damping.Gaining SPL after applying the material is almost certainly the result of sealing air leaks. Again, many things will accomplish the same thing. That's really not "deadening" by any definition. It's possible that you got some panel stiffening in the process. That's an advantage asphalt has, since it isn't a vibration damper, you don't get the offsetting conversion of vibration to heat. You also don't get a reliably durable product that can be counted on to last for several years and may result in a serious mess. If you don't care about that and are happy to address the issues indirectly and inefficiently, I guess it could make sense. None of that supports the idea that it works as a deadener.

Listen, to be honest. I am totally willing to be humble and agree with what your saying, both of you. The only problem i have is that all i am being told is that it does this, it doesn't do this. Just a he said vs he said. If you could get me some actual information and backed up science behind this, i will promptly apologize and then buy something else for myself! I am not trying to be ignorant, it would just be nice to have some facts. You know what i mean? :shrug:

Did you not see what happened to SteveMead? That so-called "rubberized compound" was melting in his doors, so it's OBVIOUSLY not butyl, so it has to be asphalt.

Does chicken flavored sauce mean its made from chicken?

Do a little reading on SDS's site and come back and ask a question from that material. It should make it obvious. (Link in my sig)

Well someone said it's just a play with their words but still. How exactly do you know it's not?

Listen, to be honest. I am totally willing to be humble and agree with what your saying, both of you. The only problem i have is that all i am being told is that it does this, it doesn't do this. Just a he said vs he said. If you could get me some actual information and backed up science behind this, i will promptly apologize and then buy something else for myself! I am not trying to be ignorant, it would just be nice to have some facts. You know what i mean? :shrug:

It's easy enough to test, but you won't believe that either. Why don't you call Fatmat and ask them?

it does give some result but nowhere near a real deadner and it smells. The money you save still won't make it worth it in the end.