dale315

Single SA-12 Ported Box Size

I recently just got a SA-12 D2 in a 1 cube sealed box running off an AQ1200d at 1 ohm. I wanna get a ported box and was wondering what size and tuning I should go with if I mainly listen to rap, going for more spl, and is good with the power level I'm using. I originally thought to go with 1.5 cubes w/ 35 hz tuning. Does that sound about right or should I go with something else?

Off the SSA site:

•Dual 4-ohm Coils Available

Depth = 6.5"

Cut-Out = 10 15/16"

Enclosure Suggestions:

1.75 ft^3 ported tuned to 30 Hz -- F3 of 26 Hz

* Tune higher and use a smaller box for more SPL oriented setup (Use 1 - 1.5 cubes)

* Enclosure can be as big as 2.25 ft^3 with lower power levels

so you have a sealed box since you want spl why don't you find your cars resonate frequency then tune your box off your findings

Would there be an audible difference if I went with say 38hz instead of 35hz? In any case, thanks for the input. I'll be going with 1.5 tuned to 35hz.

Are you looking for just a little more output or wanting something just for spl competition?

I'm looking for more output as a daily driver and have no plans for anything competition related.

since your doubling the RMS of the driver i would keep it on the small side of the recommendations for sure. As far as tuning cant help you there.

Do you have access to a TL-dB meter? (term labs)

if so do a sweep with your sealed box and see where your car peaks at! that number will be your cars resonating frequency! rule of thumb is if your Rf=40 you should shoot for tuning at 37hz~ but for a daily driver normally ppl just do a default and tune at 35Hz regardless what there car is loudest at.

No access to a TL but I was just gonna go with 35hz. Would there be any reason to go smaller than 1.5 cubes since I have double the RMS of power or am I good?

smaller box = more power to get loud!

bigger box = less power to get loud!

at least that is what i generally hear from people!

I know that much but just trrying to figure out if I'll be gaining anything by going smaller than 1.5. Like lets say 1 cube as Jacob suggests on the website.

I am overpowering my sa-12 d2 and im building a 1.75 ft^3 and I will probably fill it with polyfill too, I am afterall pushing 2100 rms at it though.