Okay I lack proper knowledge in many spectrums of electrical. My question here is hypothetical but, if I had a battery bank of lets say 6 Kinetic 2400's all connected onto a buss bar. Lets say I have 4 alts. 2 put out 240 amps at idle, 1 puts out 250, and another 275. All 4 alts are connected to the buss bars by 1/0 cable. Would this cause issues with the reliability of the batteries or the alts?

I just wonder is mis matched alts make a difference.

J

I've been wondering about this myself as it's getting closer and closer to my Bronco becoming a toy instead of a DD. I have a DC 250 (unsure of the model, bought it 2nd hand) and would like to buy a 270xp or bigger and run them both someday if possible.

I don't see an issue as the alts are independent and all move at the same time. the issue I see maybe be you are putting more stress on your starter it should be okay but you could always ask a mechanic

There wouldn't be any issues. Go at it. :D

I don't see an issue as the alts are independent and all move at the same time. the issue I see maybe be you are putting more stress on your starter it should be okay but you could always ask a mechanic

Why would it put stress on a starter?

more things that the start has to turn to make the car turn over? more items on the same serpentine belt = more friction I thought... I could be wrong but that is why I also said you would have to ask a mechanic

to be honest I don't think it could be an issue but I thought I might put that in there as he wants to run 4 alts normally ppl just run 1-2 alts.

more things that the start has to turn to make the car turn over? more items on the same serpentine belt = more friction I thought... I could be wrong but that is why I also said you would have to ask a mechanic

to be honest I don't think it could be an issue but I thought I might put that in there as he wants to run 4 alts normally ppl just run 1-2 alts.

Ok that makes sense. I'm sure there will be a tad bit more strain, but I don't see a real problem.

Alternators free spinning isn't that bad.

But the actually topic at hand, mismatched has nothing to do with the starter.

And I wouldn't see a problem. I've seen many do it just fine.

Ok that makes sense. I'm sure there will be a tad bit more strain, but I don't see a real problem.

Alternators free spinning isn't that bad.

But the actually topic at hand, mismatched has nothing to do with the starter.

And I wouldn't see a problem. I've seen many do it just fine.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I see there seems to be a question about 4 alts. I want to ensure I have ample charging for the bank of batteries I am planning on. I am going to have about 12kw in RMS watts in the truck if all goes to plan and as such I need to have AMPLE juice available. I dont want to starve my amps for power, not do I want to strain my electrical. I figure in this area, overkill is a GREAT idea.

J

You could get by with 4 batteries and 4 alternators EASILY with only 12krms. You could probably even double that and still be in a safe zone.

You could get by with 4 batteries and 4 alternators EASILY with only 12krms. You could probably even double that and still be in a safe zone.

I don't know about that one. The manual that came with my warhorse calls for eight, 800CCA batteries and two 200amp alts. That's only for 10K watts. I've spoken with Chris at Missing Link Audio, he told me you need about 3 to 4 batteries per HO alt. I'm not sure on the math to calculate how much battery you need for alternators. One thing I do know is that Hummer that Chris has is plenty effing loud. I've experienced it in person. If he says that's what it takes who am I to argue.

I am just looking at overkill. Even if the alts have more than the batteries need, whats the harm?

I mean the 10kw is a Stetsom............

J

Another idea is to run all of your stock electrical off of one alt at standard voltage and set a "stereo only" electrical system at 16~18 volts on the remaining alternators. Just an idea.

I don't know about that one. The manual that came with my warhorse calls for eight, 800CCA batteries and two 200amp alts. That's only for 10K watts. I've spoken with Chris at Missing Link Audio, he told me you need about 3 to 4 batteries per HO alt. I'm not sure on the math to calculate how much battery you need for alternators. One thing I do know is that Hummer that Chris has is plenty effing loud. I've experienced it in person. If he says that's what it takes who am I to argue.

Since when does alternators need multiply batteries to make power?

A HO alternator will charge 1 battery the same as 4. So I'm not sure why he said its a NEED to have multiple per alt.

Only thing I can think of is, he meant 3-4 is ideal to get the most out of the setup.

Also, just because he is loud doesn't mean you can't argue with what he says. I'm not talking about his affiliation with MLA. But just based on someone owning a loud vehicle, doesn't mean they will give out wrong info. Even though I'm not saying he is wrong. Just saying in general.

Take Alan Dante, at one point he had the loudest car. If he told you the loud way to get loud is to buy a stetsom amp, would you agree? Of course not.

Well I am going to find out soon enough. I will have 4 HO alts with 1 battery under the hood and 4 batteries in back on 4 3k amps.

I do not see any problems.

:fing34:

Well I am going to find out soon enough. I will have 4 HO alts with 1 battery under the hood and 4 batteries in back on 4 3k amps.

I do not see any problems.

:fing34:

Oh no Lance, your batteries will explode from amperes overload. ROFL.

Definitely the front one, 1000amps on ONE battery. That will go off like a nuclear bomb.

/sarcasm

LOL I just wanted to see what problems could arise.

I may just do 4 batts, I mean its all going to feed into the bussbars on the batts and then to the amps.

J