Luke.H

First set up sub suggestions

So I was wanting to get my first sub set up in my car and have been doing some research and was hoping to get some information from you guys. I have an 02 Nissan Altima with a pioneer deh 4200ub headunit and pioneer 6x9's and alpine type S's up front. I was originally asking about getting comps in my rear deck but Ive decided I would really like a nice sub stage instead. Amp wise I think Ive decided on something from Sundown Audio. I contacted someone from Sundown and was asking about a refurb model because I am on a budget and the savings would help, my budget is around 500-600 for the amp and sub. DB-r is their refurbisher from what ive read and currently they dont have any of the amps Im looking at but I was told a SAX-1200d would be sent over for refurb soon and I could possibly purchase that. I was thinking either the SAX or an SAE-1000d or SAZ-1000d because Id like to push about 1000w. My altenator is 100 amps and it is stock.

Im planning on building the box myself and this was the general design I was thinking My link its from Mach5's site. My trunk opening is 48x11 inches. A friend of mine has a SAE-1000d and mach5 15" that Ive heard and like. I listen to indie and rap and dubstep so I was thinking of getting a sub that would get good SQ and SPL. His box is tuned more toward spl and i want to get good spl as well but sq is also important to me so Im wanting more of a "SQL" setup. I want a 15". I have been looking into either an FI audio Q 15 or SA-15. Both seem to have a good mix of SPL and SQ. The FI is alittle over my budget but I really like what ive read so if its definately the best choice Ill spend the extra cash. Im new to subs so i was wondering what you guys thought of what ive come up with so far. I was looking for some suggestions on what subs to get for my application and the best way to tune the box Im thinking maybe 30hz??

I tried to include all the info I could think of, but if I've left anything out Ill add it.

Edited by theluker69

I like the idea of two SA-12's on the SAX-1200d or an SA-15 on a SAZ-1000d.

x2 the sa 12s sound good i really like them personally. and two of them on 1000-1200 sounds wonderful. if you want to stay with a 15 inch sub i would go with the sa. they have exceptionally good sq. as for the fi ive heard alot of good things about them and have considered buying one for my truck. but like you i have a budget and will most likely go with the sa 15

I like the idea of two SA-12's on the SAX-1200d or an SA-15 on a SAZ-1000d.

Yea i like the idea of a single 15 at 1000 watts thats what my buddy has and i know i like it from what ive heard but i realize that its 80 or 90% install and 10% equipment so his results arent garunteed

x2 the sa 12s sound good i really like them personally. and two of them on 1000-1200 sounds wonderful. if you want to stay with a 15 inch sub i would go with the sa. they have exceptionally good sq. as for the fi ive heard alot of good things about them and have considered buying one for my truck. but like you i have a budget and will most likely go with the sa 15

Thanks for the imput I appreciate it. I think I like the idea of the single 15 best if im honest. I have read that 12's have more surface area but as far as the box and space etc im just more comfortable with the 15 and because ive heard that general setup if that makes sense haha also the single 15 would be the cheaper option because I only need to buy one. From what ive read I cant tell which would really be better the SA or the Fi. Fi has the cooling option tho

I think you are on the right track, I just checked on the SAZ-1000 that was in the For Sale section but it sold today. :( I have a few of the SA-15's for a project but havn't had a chance to try them yet. I think either of your choices will work well. As far as dB-r, I have dealt with them and they did great for me. Check with watts09, he had a FI sub for sale that is a 15 and he is good guy to deal with.

Good Luck with your setup and :WELCOME:

Here are some reviews on Db-r.

As far as Sefugi saying i have a sub for sale, AFAIK it's going to be a ton to ship it. So i think i want to stay away from that, but if you are interested send me a PM

I definitely recommend two 12" over one 15". You will have more cone area and pretty much the same same enclosure.

Thanks for the help guys Im glad im on the right track. I am leaning more towards the SA-15 now because it is more budget friendly and from what I can tell will be just as good as the Fi. I liked the coolin option on the Fi but I think thats more for someone whos gonna be using it harder than I am because i listen to other stuff besides rap so i wont constantly be pounding it. My friend has the mach which doesnt have the cooling and hes been fine. What do you guys think about that box design for my purposes? Its tuned to 30 hz which is what I was planning on tuning too. Is that good for my musical preferances? I want to be able to get good SPL and hit lows with good sq as well. Heres that box again Box design

So Ive been reading around a little more and am now thinking about an Icon 15 possibly. I read on the fi forums here and ppl were saying that in comarison to the bl the q didnt offer too much better sq and the bl got alittle louder, but because of the great reviews ive been reading on the Icon I was wondering if that would be a good option for my situation? If everything works out I am ordering a SAX-1200d on in the next coupla days. I noticed the rms on the SA-15 was 600 compared to the 1000 on the Icon or the Q so I was wondering if it wouldnt be able to get as loud as the other two. Just wondering what you guys think and I think I'll order my cable from weldingsupply.com btw because of the good things ive heard about them 4ga I think.

I believe the icons are still out of stock and waiting on new materials/stock. You will be happy with any of these subs, but i believe that the BL has the potential to be the loudest, with the icon right there behind it. But i've only messed with the BL in the line up. Check out my older youtube videos of my BL 15. Link in my sig.

I believe the icons are still out of stock and waiting on new materials/stock. You will be happy with any of these subs, but i believe that the BL has the potential to be the loudest, with the icon right there behind it. But i've only messed with the BL in the line up. Check out my older youtube videos of my BL 15. Link in my sig.

That crx is tight man. I really do like what I hear about the Fi but they are alittle over budget. I really like the idea of the Icon lol too bad theyre out of stock. Is there anything else I should be looking at sub wise? Ive considered DD as well but havent called them to find out the price on the 1515 I probly should get on that if its a good sub for my needs. Sorry to ask so many questions haha idk this is my first system and I just wanna be thorough

Youll probably need to upgrade your electrical a little bit, I have an 07 Altima with a 110amp alt, and had to do 1/0 Big 3 and a Kinetik HC600 to handle 1kw.

I would vote for the SA, or to give AudioQue a shot. Im thinking of trying out AQ next.

Youll probably need to upgrade your electrical a little bit, I have an 07 Altima with a 110amp alt, and had to do 1/0 Big 3 and a Kinetik HC600 to handle 1kw.

I would vote for the SA, or to give AudioQue a shot. Im thinking of trying out AQ next.

Yea I plan on doing the big three and getting a yellowtop if necessary. Since the Icon is out of stock I guess im leaning towards the Fi Q. Ive looked at ascendant audio a little bit and called looking for a local dealer and was referred to one but was told he would be busy until monday. What do you guys think of a havoc? I think I might be over thinking things here but just wanna be sure Im picking the right equipment.

Yea I plan on doing the big three and getting a yellowtop if necessary. Since the Icon is out of stock I guess im leaning towards the Fi Q. Ive looked at ascendant audio a little bit and called looking for a local dealer and was referred to one but was told he would be busy until monday. What do you guys think of a havoc? I think I might be over thinking things here but just wanna be sure Im picking the right equipment.

Ascendant audio and Fi are owned by the same people, so it's another super solid company.

i say go for that bl 15! i just ordered one myself and cant wait! watts09 was my inspiration on that one. haha

i say go for that bl 15! i just ordered one myself and cant wait! watts09 was my inspiration on that one. haha

:woot: Hope you're happy with it! Be sure to let me know!

:woot: Hope you're happy with it! Be sure to let me know!

will do!

I have a 15in FI Q on a SA1500 and it slams! Mine is also tuned low to 29hz. To be honest you may want to tune alittle higher around 32hz+ if you listen to alot of Rock....unless you have a strong midbass setup.

You will be surprised how hard any of these subs hit if they are in a good enclosure with proper tuning.

I have a 15in FI Q on a SA1500 and it slams! Mine is also tuned low to 29hz. To be honest you may want to tune alittle higher around 32hz+ if you listen to alot of Rock....unless you have a strong midbass setup.

You will be surprised how hard any of these subs hit if they are in a good enclosure with proper tuning.

The midbass in my car is fairly weak so I may want to take that advise. I listen to alot of indie but I mainly want the sub for when I listen to rap or dubstep and the plan was to use the volume knob on the amp to turn the sub down a bit when Im listing to indie and back up for when Im listening to other stuff. How big a sacrafice in loudness would I be making tuning to say 32hz rather than 30?

It'll be the other way around. Expect output to go up when you tune higher. Tuning low is not for that reason. And all the low tuning recommendations I'd be very dubious of as they aren't usually based on fact.

It'll be the other way around. Expect output to go up when you tune higher. Tuning low is not for that reason. And all the low tuning recommendations I'd be very dubious of as they aren't usually based on fact.

So you're saying it would be best to tune to 32hz? I will definately do some research into that then. On this site they have some box designs for 15" Icons which are tuned to 30hz so im assuming that if I did decide to tune it to 32hz id take that same basic design with a different vent size? If the advantage of tuning lower isnt adding output I guess the idea is to be able to hit those lows more efficiently and with a proper overall system be able to hit a wider spectrum, but someone like me with a mediocre speaker system would be better off with the higher frequency tuning.

Actually it ALWAYS depends on what sort of music you really want it to reproduce and really how low those notes are. If you listen to ultra artificial shit then perhaps you can benefit from more lows, but if you don't 30Hz is unnecessarily low.

Actually it ALWAYS depends on what sort of music you really want it to reproduce and really how low those notes are. If you listen to ultra artificial shit then perhaps you can benefit from more lows, but if you don't 30Hz is unnecessarily low.

Yea been readin around and 30 wouldnt be right for me. Thinking between 32-35hz. Got a friends whose is tuned to 35 which sounds pretty good to my ears but ive only heard rap etc on his system. I appreciate your help M5