Impious

The Official TeamSSA Subwoofer Thread

I vote Rubber as well.

Now for this logo, my friend said he'd make us one, but Ideas for the form are needed.

I like the idea of it not having text in it as just some design will never let people know exactly what it is.... they'll be forced to ask and then be subject to a 20min lecture on the sub's finer points :)

I had the idea of abstracting an equivalent circuit diagram for the sub? Let's get some brain storming going....

Foam, it's cheaper and there are no durability issues with it what-so-ever. Many a high-end drivers use them. No problems with them. It can be designed and tooled easier for what we need it to do. My guess is they will use off-the-shelf parts anyways, so whatever they have that will give the desired results will be what we get.

Dustcap, I like the boob too, but I'll leave that up to Adire as they know best with structural integrity.

Logo is simply unnecessary. If you want a logo, get a sticker after you get the driver. That is another different set of tooling costs we simply don't need, and with this small amount of drivers being made, it will quickly drive the cost up.

Foam, it's cheaper and there are no durability issues with it what-so-ever.  Many a high-end drivers use them.  No problems with them.  It can be designed and tooled easier for what we need it to do.  My guess is they will use off-the-shelf parts anyways, so whatever they have that will give the desired results will be what we get.

Dustcap, I like the boob too, but I'll leave that up to Adire as they know best with structural integrity. 

Logo is simply unnecessary.  If you want a logo, get a sticker after you get the driver.  That is another different set of tooling costs we simply don't need, and with this small amount of drivers being made, it will quickly drive the cost up.

Ok Frugal McFrugalson! :runlaugh:

Personally, I'd go with a stamped basket as well if it would allow. Cheaper, pricewise, is better for all of us in this instance.

Yes, I vote stamped steel, untreated foam surround, unpressed paper cone, and a carboard former wound with plastic vc wire because copper prices are up.

The problem here is that there are many different ways the Squeakinator will be used. Though price should be a concern, if you're going through the hoops to create a custom driver, you might as well do it in a way that makes it worth the effort. If I wanted just any 18" for cheap, I'd hop over to PE and order up a bunch of PA drivers.

Yes, I vote stamped steel, untreated foam surround, unpressed paper cone, and a carboard former wound with plastic vc wire because copper prices are up.

The problem here is that there are many different ways the Squeakinator will be used. Though price should be a concern, if you're going through the hoops to create a custom driver, you might as well do it in a way that makes it worth the effort. If I wanted just any 18" for cheap, I'd hop over to PE and order up a bunch of PA drivers.

But then you'd be limited to the manufacturer's choice of drivers and specs.

Just saying that ultimately, Adire will have the say on what parts are used according to what they have that will work for our application. If we HAVE the choice between rubber or foam and there's no differnece in price, then so be it. Just saying if we can get the same performance from half-price materials, why not use it?

Logo is simply unnecessary.  If you want a logo, get a sticker after you get the driver.  That is another different set of tooling costs we simply don't need, and with this small amount of drivers being made, it will quickly drive the cost up.

The logo, if we did any, would most definitely be a vinyl/etc decal that would be applied by you after the subwoofer arrived at your doorstep. It would not be part of the manufacturing process.

But either way.....none of it matters if we can't get atleast 6 more drivers "ordered"......so, I'd say that is something we need to focus on first ;)

But...basket I'm not worried about, looks wise. Though I'm not sure if the typical stamped steel will allow for atleast 28mm rearward clearance. Surround....I still don't know. May just tell Adire to use whichever they feel is most appropriate from a cost-performance perspective.

I understand both of your sides, Ryan and Beat. But seriously, would the type of surround used be a deal breaker for anybody? Doubtful, considering even treated foam is rather resilient these days. It's really more a choice of cosmetic treatment than anything.....

I really don't care what the materials are. As long as it performs, and is cost-effective.

I have yet to see a stamped basket that will allow the suspension for as much movement we have.

I can get my dad to make decals for them if anybody wants them.

It would have to be uniform though, cause I'm not bothering him to make 12 different tiny ass decals.

If we agree upon one design I can get it done at a pretty damn low cost.

It would have to be uniform though, cause I'm not bothering him to make 12 different tiny ass decals.

One of my concerns has been mentioned before and I'd like to find out from adire if the stamped basket can really do 28mm. Not that I really need 28mm but if I'm paying for something as advertised then I kind of expect it. I'm sure that it will be plenty loud anyway, but I would like to know.

thanks,

b

One of my concerns has been mentioned before and I'd like to find out from adire if the stamped basket can really do 28mm. Not that I really need 28mm but if I'm paying for something as advertised then I kind of expect it. I'm sure that it will be plenty loud anyway, but I would like to know.

thanks,

b

If the stamped steel doesn't allow for 28mm rearward....then it won't be used ;) Though I am going for cost effectiveness.....I'm not going to compromise major aspects of it's performance in the name of cost effectiveness. That is a promise.

As for the decals.....UCP has the right idea. Find someone to make a smaller batch of a generally agreed upon design, and you can purchase one yourself if you wish to have one.

i wish i could put one or two of these to use but i have no room. I think you should have a decal of something very lude on the front. Like a decal the size of the dustcap thats a picture of a boob (anatomically correct). they would be the ultimate "boob cone"

i wish i could put one or two of these to use but i have no room.  I think you should have a decal of something very lude on the front.  Like a decal the size of the dustcap thats a picture of a boob (anatomically correct).  they would be the ultimate "boob cone"

No offense... but no. I have no desire to own a titty woofer.

i wish i could put one or two of these to use but i have no room.  I think you should have a decal of something very lude on the front.  Like a decal the size of the dustcap thats a picture of a boob (anatomically correct).  they would be the ultimate "boob cone"

Or we should just replace the dustcap with a Dildo :ghost:

Too bad, so sad.

I want backstage tickets to that concert :P

Beat Dominator, info from Adire as supplied below:
The cone is a pressed treated paper; that's our favorite option for subwoofer duty.

I just want it to be a sub worth remembering.... not in the way of a funky pup either :)

And it will be......due to it's incredilatious performance :woot:

that's why I have 4!

Can we get like... a red foam surround? isn't that louder?!?!

Edited by UndercoverPunk

can I ask those who are voting for the foam surround, can I ask why you do not prefer the rubber (outside of cost)?

I have never really noticed an output or SQ difference by running a rubber surround

can I ask those who are voting for the foam surround, can I ask why you do not prefer the rubber (outside of cost)?

I have never really noticed an output or SQ difference by running a rubber surround

Cost is pretty much it for me. Some associate the foam surround to "cheap" drivers or just a means to save money, but the foam IS cheaper, easier to tool, and can do anything the rubber can do, so why not?