13 members have voted

1. 1. Which sub in a 4x12" set up

• JL 12w7
    • Treo SSP/TE/etc
    • Kicker CompVR or VX (new ser.)
    • FI Q12
    • Alpine Type X
    • other (please specify)

Hows it going. i have a quad cab truck, have a box built that goes front to back for 4 12" woofers. It is 67" long, 16" wide and about 36" tall at its tallest I believe.

Should i run JL 12w7s, the new Kicker CVR or VX (which is heavily pressed to me by the local custom shop that recently carries Kcker), Treo SSP or TE (or other model?) or pooooossibly the FI Q 12s.

Let me know what you guys think. If i go with the 12w7, what amps would I need? Two 1001/1s ? any issues with those?

My goals are 1. Loud and Clean.

2. a nice medium (55/45) of loudness, to musical application

3. a reliable setup that will sound good for time to come. I will be running an extra battery.

Edited by momoney

sounds like you want loud and clean... not Sound Quality... Not many people are going to suggest much when you mention 4 subwoofers and SQ in the same post...

Honestly speaking, why do you need 4??

well I already have the similar box with two. and the box is available.

and I wanna have some fun before I ship out to the service next year, go big or go home! haha

by sound quality, i mean, I don't want it to sound distorted or like farts or anything awful. i want loud and clean, exactly.

sounds like you want loud and clean... not Sound Quality... Not many people are going to suggest much when you mention 4 subwoofers and SQ in the same post...

Honestly speaking, why do you need 4??

If i'm not mistaken, some SQ champions use lots of cone area.

Can we have a budget to work with?

I could afford 4 of any of the subs I have listed I'm quite sure.....especially with Craigslist deals. haha

Budget will be whatever needs to be spent to make it great, but not break the bank.

:ehh: Who told you this ??

Going sealed or what? I think I missed that part...

I love the Q and although I'm happy with my Icon, might get into a 15" Q by summer time if money allows.... :)

Hows it going. i have a quad cab truck, have a box built that goes front to back for 4 12" woofers. It is 67" long, 16" wide and about 36" tall at its tallest I believe.

Should i run JL 12w7s, the new Kicker CVR or VX (which is heavily pressed to me by the local custom shop that recently carries Kcker), Treo SSP or TE (or other model?) or pooooossibly the FI Q 12s.

Let me know what you guys think. If i go with the 12w7, what amps would I need? Two 1001/1s ? any issues with those?

My goals are 1. Loud and Clean.

2. a nice medium (55/45) of loudness, to musical application

3. a reliable setup that will sound good for time to come. I will be running an extra battery.

Guess I will ask ... How is your front stage setup ?? any rear ambience ??

Not saying they do, but for some reason something clicked in the depths of my mind that i've heard that somewhere.

OP, for the most part, any sub can sound good as long as the box is well built.

Guess I will ask ... How is your front stage setup ?? any rear ambience ??

....youre speaking a different language. haha

Just asking ... thanks. Happy Sub hunting bro ... :drink40:

Not saying they do, but for some reason something clicked in the depths of my mind that i've heard that somewhere.

sorry bro, I wasn't saying you were wrong. Was just wondering the reasoning behind it ...

OP, take a look at the Sundown Audio products.

I know JL isn't really that popular here, but I say 12w7's !! I use to be a proud owner of a w7 and it is an amazing sub!! 4 w7's Would be such a nice setup. They sound SOOOOOOO Clean! I think the JL w7's sound a lot cleaner than the Fi subs ( I own fi now, previously had JL )

The w7's would make an awesome sounding setup and they hit so LOW!

(also maybe consider 4 12" SSA Icons? ) But def. w7s would be the sweetest setup.

I heard that somebody with quite a few L7s competes successfully in some sq comps.

I know JL isn't really that popular here, but I say 12w7's !! I use to be a proud owner of a w7 and it is an amazing sub!! 4 w7's Would be such a nice setup. They sound SOOOOOOO Clean! I think the JL w7's sound a lot cleaner than the Fi subs ( I own fi now, previously had JL )

(also maybe consider 4 12" SSA Icons? ) But def. w7s would be the sweetest setup.

Granted the w7 are pretty awesome drivers; however, they are quite pricey. I know the OP said he could afford four of any of the drivers he listed but at around $600 a pop I do not know if they are worth it.

sorry bro, I wasn't saying you were wrong. Was just wondering the reasoning behind it ...

The reason being that increasing cone area decreases the necessary excursion to reach a given output level. Minimizing excursion keeps the drivers operating further within their linear range, decreasing distortion and other side effects of non-linearity.

4 JLw7 12's will break the banks for you, and they are a good driver i used to have one, but if your going like you said for big and loud, I say FI, FI has great SQ if the box is tuned right, and will hit nasty lows, besides the Q line is geared more toward SQ. JL w7's will hit the lows but not as loudly, but speaking your box is not tuned to either sub, your not really gonna know what kind of sound quality your gonna get untill you install it, and ya any audio shop is gonna press you to buy there product, dont they all at our local shop its all hail the super SOLOBARIC (plastic shit)

Edited by samuel6731

Mark Eldridge. ;)

I like JL Audio products, and I co-own this mess here. ;)

The reason being that increasing cone area decreases the necessary excursion to reach a given output level. Minimizing excursion keeps the drivers operating further within their linear range, decreasing distortion and other side effects of non-linearity.

Please, in you opinion, what is the smallest sub driver / transducer you would run in a SQ competition vehicle ...

If ported, what would you tune to ?? thanks, Randal ...

You want "SQ", and you want it loud ? Get the last Xcons available quickly before they gone !