semrod

I need help choosing a sub.

I have a RF Power T500-BD the birthsheet is rated at 762 @ 1 ohm I want to run 2 subs in sealed enclosure 1^3 ft per enclosure. I was looking at the Audioque SDC2.0 12 its dual 4 ohm sub rated at 250 watts rms. I was also looking at the HDC312 which is rated @ 1000 watts rms and the Sundown SA-12 rated @ 600 watts rms to put in my 2^3 box and don't laugh I never owned Kicker subs before but I found a pair of CVR's for $150 with free shipping. I'm trying to stay around $250. The HDC312 is $260 including shipping and it looks like a beast of a sub to own and I'm really leaning towards that it.

Edited by semrod

what are your goals for the system? Just by reading I'm guessing you just want some bass in your music and looking to get a little loud and stay good sounding. Am I right?

what are your goals for the system? Just by reading I'm guessing you just want some bass in your music and looking to get a little loud and stay good sounding. Am I right?/quote]

Pretty much I'm not looking for stupid loud. I'm saving that for my Explorer. I have the dual sealed box sitting in my garage collecting spider webs. So I kinda want to use it. Right now I have RE Audio SXX12D2 it is in my 2 cubic ft enclosure after displacement its tuned at 32 hz. It sounds ok. The Kicker deal is cheap as hell but every time I hear Kicker subs it seems like they sound good on 1 note ask it to play a lower and it sounds like it falls flat on its face. I'm looking for sq if it happens to be loud so be it. Will the SA-12 be an upgrade to my SXX and will it sound better? To be fair every Kicker I heard was in a ported enclosure. So I was thinking the CVR's may sound better and be able to be more musical in a sealed application.

From a personal perspective, my friend has 2 kicker cvrs in a sealed pre fab and i didn't like it, but that doesn't mean you won't. Sa-12 would be an upgrade. 2 Fi X 12's would be cool too. SSA DCONS are also great subs. If it were me, since you did says sq, i'd go for 2 SSA DCON 12's. The shipping would put you a little out of that 250$ range but it's not like it's 250$ to waste. Sundown, Fi, SSA are all great, reliable companies. I have products from each of them and their customer service is unbeatable.

Also it seems like the SXX doesnt really like to play anything in the 50-80 hz frequencies all that great. I have my crossover set @ 80 hz.

With the power and space you have the DCON in a 10" or 12" would match up. They are said to be surprising for output for the money spent.

With the power and space you have the DCON in a 10" or 12" would match up. They are said to be surprising for output for the money spent.

^

This.

Badass Lil SQ woofers!

Look around, there are some reviews and vids on here for them.

1st thanks to everyone for their help. Skizzy what did you not like about the Kickers in the sealed enclosure just curious because I don't just want loud noise makers that sound like shit. I can get the SA-12 for $200. No opinions on the HD is my vented enclosure tuned to low for it? I read another review on this that the HDC3 is a pretty efficient driver. Will the 2 DCONS in the sealed enclosure have more ouput than the SA-12 in the vented enclosure? Also has any one heard the SA-12 in a sealed enclosure? I just want to know how versatile the Sundown driver is if I decide to purchase a second one? I have to admit the DCON looks impressive for the price triple stacked magnet in this price range seams unfair to their competitors. So now I'm torn between the DCONS and the SA-12 which looks like a beast that can take a lot of power if I decide to upgrade my amp.

Edited by semrod

Usually a lowpass set at 80hz is too high for a sub, try 63 or so

kickers are cheap because they're shit..

so are u limited to 2 cubes? if not how much space do you have? what are your music tastes? what are your current system and install (ie, any deadening)? what are your goals?

whats wrong with the sub you have? maybe a new box or some sound deadening would get you the results your looking for without spending 250 on more shit!

read the posting guidelines and try again...

I have a dual sub sealed enclosure that's 1 cube per chamber. I also have a 2.25^3 single vented enclosure tuned @ 32 hz which I am currently using now w/my RE SXX12 and HFI1500D in a 03 Altima. All the electrical is stock. I want to take that amp out of the car to use in my Explorer in the near future. I have a RF T500-1BD I want to use in my Altima. The amp is rated at 762 watts @ 1 ohm. The RE sounds ok. I've had it for a couple years now. I want something that is gonna match up well with the RF amp and I was looking at a few different drivers. I can't decide if I want to use my dual sealed enclosure or continue to use my vented enclosure with a better driver. I am also running a 4 ch Alpine amp for my mids and highs and they are also Alpine. I am using a Kenwood XDC-994 to control everything. I love that head unit. The Kicker deal is 2 CVR 12's for $150 and I was looking at the Sundown SA-12 for my vented enclosure which is a good versatile driver that can give me different mounting options. Were the SXX has to be ported no option for a sealed enclosure. I like to able to at least have the choice of what kind of enclosure to use whether its vented or sealed. Anyone heard of East Coast Car Audio? I found them on Ebay selling Sundown Audio equipment. It says they are an authorized dealer. Someone also suggested the DCON's for my sealed enclosure. Anyone have any experience with them in a sealed application. I keep reading that they sound a lot better in a vented enclosure? I'm leaning towards the SA-12. I'm guessing that 1 driver which is only $50 more than the 2 CVR's will sound better than the Kcker's. I also tried playing with the crossover I lowered it to 60hz and 50hz and it didnt help.

The AQ drivers are not designed for sealed enclosures. The Sundown will work in a sealed but are better suited in a ported enclosure. The SSA DCON would be a great choice.

You could also re-build and a new enclosure for your RE and tune it higher.

Thanks for everyone's help I think I'm going with the Sundown now I'm deciding between the 12 in the vented enclosure or the 15 in a sealed. I don't want to use my trunk up with a vented enclosure for the 15 so I have to go sealed probably around 2.5 cubes. I never owned a 15 inch sub before. Is the 15 sealed going to give me the same output as the 12 vented with a flatter response and lower extension or should I stick with the 12?

^This.Badass Lil SQ woofers!Look around, there are some reviews and vids on here for them.

The AQ drivers are not designed for sealed enclosures. The Sundown will work in a sealed but are better suited in a ported enclosure. The SSA DCON would be a great choice. You could also re-build and a new enclosure for your RE and tune it higher.

I'm not speaking for the guys above, but you stated- "Pretty much I'm not looking for stupid loud. I'm saving that for my Explorer" You also gave us a space requirement, power available, and budget. Why are you asking about 15's now?

Curiosity I never owned a 15 and the SA-15 is only $30 more so I would still be under $250. I want good sound quality and wouldn't a sealed 15 inch give me better sound quality than a 12 in a vented box? I was just wondering or should I just stick with the SA-12. I've pretty much settled on this particular sub because it fits my power and space requirements.

Curiosity I never owned a 15 and the SA-15 is only $30 more so I would still be under $250. I want good sound quality and wouldn't a sealed 15 inch give me better sound quality than a 12 in a vented box? I was just wondering or should I just stick with the SA-12. I've pretty much settled on this particular sub because it fits my power and space requirements.

If you have settled on the SA I would do the 12" ported for the space you have.

Thanks for your input the 12 is pretty much a drop in and I'd have to invest more funds if I choose to run the 15 which I'm sure the Wifey is not trying to hear lol. I still may invest in a different enclosure possibly tune around 34 or 35hz and 1.75^3.

Edited by semrod

I found these subs from a company called DB Drive the K5's just wondering any body heard them before. This company has on there website that they've won a bunch of championships. They look like they are well built they don't have fancy cover over the magnet structure.

I dont like having it set that low, unless you have a really low slope, i prefer to set at 80 and have a -12 db slope. The lower Xover point seems to mess with the lower freq. where you want the most output, so you're not getting the most out of your system.

I just got a dcon 10 and its plays loud and low for one sub on a 300 watt kicker amp. I think you would be very happy with 2 dcons :drink40:

please remove post , made mistake

Edited by BASSmaster

I dont like having it set that low, unless you have a really low slope, i prefer to set at 80 and have a -12 db slope. The lower Xover point seems to mess with the lower freq. where you want the most output, so you're not getting the most out of your system.

Hence why the comment was meant for the TS ,

often tuning that high causes problems in phasing between the sub and mids causing a muddy sound , if your comps are run active you could filter the mids a bit higher , nevertheless when kickdrums are played primarely by your mids it will always have the potential to sound better and have more impact , some aftermarket comps would be required though.

crossovers for one driver set to close to each other will cause problems yes but with a hp set at 30 and an LP set at 63 or 72 should not cause problems , I seldom use a 12db slope ,I prefer 24 or higher depending on driver and use

My Kenwood has high and low pass filters with adjustable slopes up to -24 so I set my front door speakers at 100hz my rear deck speakers at 70hz and my subs also 70 hz all the slopes at -24db's. i listen to it again and it sounds alot better. Still getting subs for the RF Power amp though. I may sell the SXX in the future to get a pair of 15 inch ICON's to put in my Explorer. Thanks for everyone's help. This forum tends to bias which is a huge A+.