slim2fattycake

15" L7 build

The vehicle is a '88 Caprice two tone, gray and maroon.

The box is 5.2ft^3 net tuned to about 35hz right now.

The amp is a Massive D5000.1 (2500 watts rms).

The sub is a 08S15L7.

I'm going to cut down the length some when the owner listens and then let him choose what he likes best. I told him I could make his setup as loud or louder than his older box with 2 of the same subs. He has a massive D5000.1 (2500watts rms at 1 ohm) and it was wired to 1 ohm before and now its going to be at 2 ohm. So half the cone area and half the power. And then the box will have black carpet. I'll be mounting his amp on the box when everything is decided with an extra layer of MDF with cushions under the amps mounting feet.

Box still in progress.

th_Photo0418.jpg

th_Photo0419.jpg

th_Photo0420.jpg

th_Photo0421.jpg

th_Photo0422.jpg

th_Photo0423.jpg

th_Photo0424.jpg

why would you waste such a beautiful enclosure on such a GAY SUB! did I mention that I HATEEEEEEEE KICKER! :WTFBubble:

I tried to get him to go with something else but he didn't want to "waste" more money when he had spent 2000+ on whatever he got at the local shops that were garbage. This is actually my first time working with Kicker stuff.

Enclosure looks great!!! It's very rewarding to rework something and produce better results!! Keep us updated!!

He's very skeptical of my claim. I'll give him the box for free if I can't get him louder than the pos box he had before even with less cone area and less power. IIRC, I metered him doing a 136-137dB sealed off the dash. My girlfriend's 10" Ixl in her mustang was able to do close to that with an low tuned small box with less power.

Bada$$. I like the bracing. Looks loud already. Poor little car's not gonna know what hit it. :P Keep us posted on what it meters with the new box.

Easter Poast!

It was doing 133s with that box. His trunk latch is broke so the box before was too high and basically held the trunk lid in place while this box is shorter and leaves room for the trunk lid to flop around so when someone sat on the trunk lid, it gained 2dBs. Now a new box was done using the same box but the 3 4" ports are closed up and now using a single 6" port down the side. Started out at 2ft length which I just calculated to be tuned at ~23hz lol. He was doing 132s at 31hz. Super flat response. He also had a grounding problem too. Rear batteries dropped down to 10v when playing while front battery only drops down to 12v. Power is low right now.

I'm not happy with this build. :(

I give up on this vehicle. high 133s sealed up was the best I can do on two designs. The box is now using a single 6" aero side firing. all orientations of sub and port facing have yielded the same shit. 133s.

He is happy with the sound since he doesn't really notice the difference from the last setup but I just wasn't. This vehicle is hard as fuck to get loud.

The box has carpet now and a carbon fiber vinyl plate on top with his name or beats production or whatever on it. First time working with vinyl wrap. Let's just say I'll be doing carpet wrap for lettering later on. lol. Only wrapping easier shit from now on.

Now, I gotta reinstall his amps, redo the wiring in the trunk, and then add a solenoid to isolate his front and rear batteries when they sit.

I'll get pictures of the box when he comes back over.

This is why I don't care what a meter says.

x Eleventy Gugillion.

Yeah, but its just a form of reference that's quantifiable. And this has just been the quietest I have actually gotten from a box build that I have done lol.

Doesn't meter well? Must be the meter your using :P

J/K, J/K

Box turned out great nonetheless. If the customer is happy then that is all that matters in the end.

I like the box :)

you should make a bet to buy a cheaper sub and make it louder. :peepwall: