Box dimensions for a 15 inch Xcon

So after using the Torres' box calculator I have come up with these panel sizes

Sub diameter: 14.125”

Top: 33 x 16

Bottom: 33 x 16

Sides: 15 x 14.5

Front: 33 x 15 (double baffle) = .21cubes disp

Back: 33 x 15

According to the calculator I am left with 3.55 cubes for a sealed enclosure... Does that sound right? The lumberyard near me said they could make the cuts for me....

Any quick and calculated responses are much needed... Thanks

-Danny

So after using the Torres' box calculator I have come up with these panel sizes

Top: 33 x 16

Bottom: 33 x 16

Sides: 15 x 14.5

Front: 33 x 15 (double baffle) = .21cubes disp

Back: 33 x 15

According to the calculator I am left with 3.55 cubes for a sealed enclosure... Does that sound right? The lumberyard near me said they could make the cuts for me....

Any quick and calculated responses are much needed... Thanks

-Danny

Yup...came up with 3.56 with 0.75 mdf. So looks good to me :fing34:

Edited by Jack3d SPL

Yay.... Should I go higher for cubes? Or should I just do polyfill if I want it to seem like a bigger box to the Xcon???

You're already above the recommended size for using the 15" XCON in a sealed enclosure. Why would you want a larger cubic foot measurement? :ughdunno:

Yay.... Should I go higher for cubes? Or should I just do polyfill if I want it to seem like a bigger box to the Xcon???

I dont know what the recomended cu ft is for the Xcon but like burko said, i wouldnt go too much above it. Put it in a really little car and it'll seem a lot bigger...lol :lol2:

Yeah I would make it smaller. Go with recommended. 2.75 cubes. It will save you some room and I believe this was a concern of yours.

Yeah I would make it smaller. Go with recommended. 2.75 cubes. It will save you some room.

and a little bit of wood, little bit of glue, and a little bit a screws.. :dancing:

The optimal is 3 cubes. I figured I would get some better efficiency since I'm only running 500 Watts. Bad idea to do 3.5 cubes or that okay?

I forgot about your "baby" amplifier. You you are correct, I would go with 3.5

I forgot about your "baby" amplifier. You you are correct, I would go with 3.5

LOL. Jerk! I thought I wouldn't hear that anymore since Bangin' isn't on as much... hahaha

Going to the lumberyard now then to put in the order.

One more thing, the guy used the phrase lightweight mdf? Is that a concern? I'll get more info when I get there though.

Hmm... Forgot I put that in my own sig... JERK comment taken back... lmao... :peepwall:

Just make sure it is 3/4" MDF. I usually pay $30-35 for a 49"x97" sheet.

Another thing before I run out the door... If I mount the subwoofer off center, is that not appropriate for waves/sound?

Like so:

xcon.jpg

Nothing wrong with that.

Cool beans... I wanted to do it like so and when I bump while driving I always have the smaller seat back down to let the BASS in... This way the driver is aligned with that portion and will not have any interference from the trunk or other seat.... Yippe!! Going now!!

:dancing:

Use some internal bracing, 3.0 is plenty. You can go with the 3.5 and always glue in small measured blocks to take up air space. I have run less wattage on a 12" Xcon sealed. ;)

I had mine in a 3 ft3 sealed box, and I loved it.

Do it at 3, you will run a bigger amp someday !!!

But I'd rather have the sub centered in the box.

I had mine in a 3 ft3 sealed box, and I loved it.

Do it at 3, you will run a bigger amp someday !!!

But I'd rather have the sub centered in the box.

Any particular reason you'd center it? Preference or performance?

Its only going to be for preference

Pimp! I put in the request at the local lumber yard and I only needed one sheet of MDF to make the box... WTF!!! .lol

I had them double the order in case I Fcuk it up... lmao

I figured one would work. Its only a sealed box and its not "that" big. Good idea to double the order if you are new to box building.

YEa the guys were kinda d1ck though.. I gave him the measurments I needed typed out perfectly and he gives me this paper with a rectangle and tells me to show him how I wanted the cuts... I'm like really? Utilize the whole fcking sheet if you can asshole and keep the left overs and shove it!! :peepwall:

Anyway, the only this besides assembly I need to do is the cut out for the subwoofer. I have seen a few different build logs but I don't have equipment for this really.. I have an old jigsaw and a drill.. Figure I'll drill like 4 holes on the closest to outer edge and 1 hole in the dead center and jigsaw like pieces of pie... Good idea???

Yeah thats a good idea. Really all you should have to do is drill one hole on the outside and use the jigsaw to go around the circle. If you feel comfortable with the way you suggested go with it. Just take your time and go slow with the jigsaw.

Slow with fastest or fast rpm, correct? That is what I've read as best practice... Slow movement with fast blade action... I just looked at my jigsaw, well my dad's jigsaw and the guide is misaligned like a motha! :suicide-santa:

I would recommend doing a test piece first to find the best way/speed. I haven't had to cut a hole like that in a long time.