Sign in to follow this  
Quentin Jarrell

Is there any demand for air suspension parts?

I needed some air suspensions parts for a personal project and found it much cheaper to open an account with a supplier than to buy retail. So I now have access to a large aray of air suspension parts. I don't know very much about this area of expertise so I can't really recommend any specific product but if anyone needs anything I have access to most everything from valves, to 4 links, to pre fabricated sheet metal tubs and fender wells.

a local shop is going to be putting rear air bags on my car alone.

Cost = ~$1,000 for both bags rated @5000lbs total rear capacity.

Only air line needed is for gauges. It will be self aired, no management system.

I don't know if your access to parts can cut this scenario of mine down on cost or not.

it's for an 07 scion tc.

Like I said I don't know much about the industry but if you can get name brands and model numbers I can look up costs for you. My distributor is oneof the largest in the industry so I am sure they carry what you need.

Is this a drop or just helper bags to handle extra weight

just helper bags.

I wish i could use air struts (keep in mind i'm at lost as u are on air suspension) as i've heard in the past air bags don't physically last too long..

But.. in my opinion, i just want the best durable package out there and this is the only thing i could find comparing them to the internet.

I am adding ~1600lbs to the car from middle to rear.

I'll check with them tomorrow to see what they offer

Good bags will last at least 10 years. You can't really ask for more than that given what they are. Firestone makes the best stuff. It would be best to list what you have access to. Are these actual manufacturers we are talking about or companies who sell kits and parts at wholesale?

just helper bags.

I wish i could use air struts (keep in mind i'm at lost as u are on air suspension) as i've heard in the past air bags don't physically last too long..

But.. in my opinion, i just want the best durable package out there and this is the only thing i could find comparing them to the internet.

I am adding ~1600lbs to the car from middle to rear.

Bags last these days. Early nineties not so.

You can bag struts ;) God luck with tire wear if it is your dd.

Op - is there an online catalog? Suicidedoors products available? Any Air Ride Technology products?

As I said before I don't know much about the indusrty. I needed a 4 link and equipment for my dually. I purchased an Air Ride Air Bar from them so they do carry them. Below is a listing of the companies they carry. I don't plan on selling a bunch of this any they carry a ton of product which is too much to list so if there is anything particular you need let me know.

line_card_logos.gif

i'll try and call the local store tomorrow and get model and part number of what they offer for my car.

As far as tires go.. I use low profile only as that's stock requirement unless i go down to like 14s or somethin, lol..

Anyways, best tires i can find for my car is 60,000mi, payload of ~1,400lbs per tire. Dunlop makes em.

My stock tires lasted 26,000 mi then they were bald.

I've got 48,000mi now with the Dunlops and still look almost brand new.

the bags on my town car 93, still good

bags on the navigator 98 still good..

and there not even heavy duty.

Ok, got the info-

For my 07 scion tc, local shop uses-

Air Lift STRUTS(not bags)

Part #- 75687

Do they want 1000 just for the struts? That kit number retails for 906 and only comes with struts, no line or gauges.

I should be able to get the kit to you for 650 assuming shipping is no more than 30 bucks. The shipping weight is 13 pounds so I woulnt think shipping would be over that

he said close to 1000, i guess after taxes and all..

www.fastscions.com will sell them to me for $787 shipped... so sounds like u can save me $100 there!

I'm gonna have to talk to some auto guys as i'm a mechanical idiot...

Air struts alone will not increase payload capacity...

I need my payload capacity of my car to increase another 1,000lbs but i do not know what parts control the actual weight capacity rating of the vehicle except for the following-

tires, brakes, suspension(air struts)... i hear axle, rack n pinion, too maybe? i can't find any specs of what they support on my car so i'm lost again...

Also.. i hope my tires alone aren't the weakest link because they were the highest payload i could find.. roughly 1400lbs per tire.. i hope that's enough.... but i dont know...

my gross weight in car is like 2900lbs but 3350lbs net with nobody in it... I do not know how distributed it is eiher..

ok well, just found me some tires that can handle up to 1700lbs per if i ever needed em...

The GVWR is the total weight of your vehicle and all it can carry, so if you have a GVWR of 4800 lbs and your car weighs 4000lbs, you can only carry 800lbs of people and gear safely. What you need to understand is your vehicle is a unitized structure, or unibody. The weight of the car is distributed throughout every weld. Sure the suspension pickup and pivot points will have the most demand on them, but you can just upgrade your suspension like you would on a truck or body-on-frame vehicle to handle more weight. Chances are if you are going to be over the GVWR, you will probably be able to exceed it by about 20%, but remember the weight is also putting more strain on the drivetrain and braking systerm.

my terminology may be wrong here so i just won't use it...

The curb weight of the vehicle is around 3350lbs.

maximum cargo weight is 880lbs.

So.. 4230lbs...

Well, i want 1800lbs.. so that would make it 5150lbs..

that's ~22% over maximum suggested....

Yes, the drivetrain is going to be under stress but whenever i have a lot fo weight in the vehicle, i never expect it to drive like it was stock so i let it take it's time during acceleration.

So, do you think i should be looking into upgrading anything in the rear besides these air struts alone?

Personally, I wouldn't do it, but I've been around cars all my life and turning wrenches for about 22 so that's just me. I would look for a better platform. I know that's not what you want to hear, but that's what I would do. Your car was never designed to handle this extra weight and short of welding every seam, building a proper cage, and upgrading the drivetrain and suspension as well, which would leave you with a new car, it's just not a good idea. I would equate it to using a Ford Ranger or other small pickup as a dedicated tow vehicle for RV trailers. It could probably handle it for a short time, but would soon fail.

I agree, probably a bad idea if this is a daily driver.

ok guys, still interested in air struts but i will now work on downsizing install :(

Oh well.. upside is better efficiency.

Why not buy a vehicle strictly for competing? You should be able to find a decent compact on craigslist for around $500.

because it's a waste of money to me to put money in a vehicle solely for a hobby that wins u nothing but trophies...

It's for fun, nothing serious, i guess that's why i have that opinion. And no sense in having 2 daily drivers either..

I'm not that desperate to deafen myself.

ok, with me included.. i've been able to knock it down to 1100lbs...

So how about that?

max capacity - 880lbs.. +20% = 1056lbs...

I'll be barely over with air struts...

IF i can't do this install.. i'm going to have to do a drastic cut in install...

20% isn't a given, it is just an estimation. Like I have stated, I wouldn't do it, hell, I wouldn't get within 1-200lbs of GVWR, but proceed at your own risk.

Well, here are the pics.. now i'm not mechanical savvy but it looks like i'm screwed.... tell me what u think about this holding the weight....

2011-05-24182634.jpg

2011-05-24182701.jpg

2011-05-24182722.jpg

2011-05-24182801.jpg

2011-05-24182820.jpg

2011-05-24182845.jpg

2011-05-24182852.jpg