Sign in to follow this  
ford302redneck

Bigger Alternators?

I keep hearing about 320s, 380s, and 390s. Even seen people have them installed. But I can't find any real info on them.

Any possible way to get info on the 300+ amp Alternators y'all have?

I have a 01 F-250 with 7.3, do you have any big ones to fit it?

I remember them having 390XPs and 320HPs .... HP series might be getting revamped? They seem to be out of stock for a few of cars..

I'm in research mode at the moment. Just gathering infomation. It will be a little while before I buy anything.

I was in research mode a year ago... And thought I'd have a DC Power alternator back in winter of 2010 but that still hasn't happened... :suicide-santa:

Really looking to do the XP series... we'll see what a week holds for me...

Might as well call out a rep here. At least here everyone can see the shotty CS response times.

Opps..Did I say that out loud?

:peepwall:

Might as well call out a rep here. At least here everyone can see the shotty CS response times.

It is memorial weekend... And then they will be slammed when they open back up... Either way, the OP is aware of DC's customer service :)

It is memorial weekend... And then they will be slammed when they open back up... Either way, the OP is aware of DC's customer service :)

Said events happened in the past and are unrelated to the holidays. Ive said enough back on topic. :eek5wavey:

I keep hearing about 320s, 380s, and 390s. Even seen people have them installed. But I can't find any real info on them.

Any possible way to get info on the 300+ amp Alternators y'all have?

I have a 01 F-250 with 7.3, do you have any big ones to fit it?

We actually do have the 390XPs available for this vehicle just don't have them up on the website yet. The 320HPs will stay as is; We are just having a hard time keeping them in stock. That should be fixed soon though as we have a big shipment coming in hopefully within the next month or so. The 380s are the SP series alternator line and while they are killer alternators, the 390s walk up and down on them for idle output. We're talking 165+ amps at idle on the 390XP while the 380s are about 135-140. The pricing on those is still the same just like on all the other vehicles. Yes they are expensive. Are they worth the money? Absolutely. Not to mention instead of having a HUGE ripple current on a 350+ amp alternator due to how much power they put out (30+) you can expect 7-10 on a 390XP. Say hello to no engine noise from a high output alternator :)

Sorry about the delayed response. :sleepwerd4:

Delayed? Lol. I just made this thread yesterday. Its cool man. Thanks for the reply.

So far, I've asked two questions in this section and always had fast replies.

How do I find out about pricing? Do I need to Email? Or could I get a PM? I don't see where I would need to call or anything as I'm just "window" shopping. I might even to talk it over eventually but its to soon for that.

Also, what casing would the 390XP and the 380HP be? Wuld it be the GM T mount? Or one like the 270XP 6g T mount?

Yeah, like really? I'm not in no hurry to buy anything, if I was, I would of called. Or Emailed for that matter.

I made this thread so whenever they could reply, that's fine.

As far as CS goes, its not going to stop me from buying from them yet. I understand stuff happends in these types of industries. I haven't seen any real major turn offs, especially for the product the build.

I've also seen them do a lot extra for there costumers they didn't have to do. So, if anybodies got a problem with DC, fine, but no need to think out loud and post in my thread. I could understand if somebody had a huge problem with what I'm asking about and warning me. But I haven't seen that yet.

I would just like to say that I currently run dual 270XP's and I love them. Strong alts. Do a little over what they're rated at, and my CS experience with this company was spot on. Quick replies, fast shipping and the product came just as described. Don't let 1 or 2 negative experiences that people have had (and started threads all over the place about) ruin your opinion about a good company. EVERY company has some mistakes and smudges on their record.

Now. Haters unite!!!!

Are big Alts only sufficient in big engines? For example, I have a 4.0 V6, so will there be a big 390 for my engine, or would that be a issue?

Yeah, like really? I'm not in no hurry to buy anything, if I was, I would of called. Or Emailed for that matter.

I made this thread so whenever they could reply, that's fine.

As far as CS goes, its not going to stop me from buying from them yet. I understand stuff happends in these types of industries. I haven't seen any real major turn offs, especially for the product the build.

I've also seen them do a lot extra for there costumers they didn't have to do. So, if anybodies got a problem with DC, fine, but no need to think out loud and post in my thread. I could understand if somebody had a huge problem with what I'm asking about and warning me. But I haven't seen that yet.

I don't like posting in threads about inquiries that don't involve me, but felt like I should after what the previous poster said.

And as you said, DC has definitely taken care of me as far as CS and products, big time. :drink40:

I've spoken with Rob, Kyle and Stan several times, they are very helpful, courteous and honest every time. I've ordered from them twice and received excellent customer service both times. I've been treated well and I'm proud to run 2 of the biggest and baddest high output alternators on the planet. I can't wait to get a couple more.

DC Power = winning :fing34:

If you wish to talk about the 390 further simply email me at Kyle@dcpowerinc.com the 380sp is not an hairpin design (hp and xp) are. Anyways I'm on my iPhone getting blood work done so I will chime in here and explain some more things when I get on my computer. As for the op, shoot me an email and I will take care of you

I know belt size is one limiting factor. Like a 4 grove can't handle as much as a 8 grove before it slips.

I can see why that can be a limiting factor. Theres obviously twice the surface area.

But what are other limiting factors to adding a huge H/O alt?

Also, will adding a H/O alt or a multiple setup strain the engine? Make it work harder, and in return, more engine noise and less MPG?

I know belt size is one limiting factor. Like a 4 grove can't handle as much as a 8 grove before it slips.

I can see why that can be a limiting factor. Theres obviously twice the surface area.

Also, will adding a H/O alt or a multiple setup strain the engine? Make it work harder, and in return, more engine noise and less MPG?

Work harder, yes, less MPG, yes. More engine noise... not really but maybe a little because the car will push more fuel in and adjust the timing. But remember it takes power to make power.

For example, on my 270XP if i dont play my stereo I get 25-28MPG. If I get on it the whole way home from work I will see 19-22MPG.

Work harder, yes, less MPG, yes. More engine noise... not really but maybe a little because the car will push more fuel in and adjust the timing. But remember it takes power to make power.

For example, on my 270XP if i dont play my stereo I get 25-28MPG. If I get on it the whole way home from work I will see 19-22MPG.

Those are the answers I was looking for! Thanks, I was assuming so, just wanted a confirmation.

I've heard ppl putting a smaller pulley to make less ware on the engine, but don't know how much truth there is to that either.

But 6 MPG is a big difference :excl: for example, most of my commute to work is highway, 25 miles one way. And I'll avg 18-21 mpg, so if I wang it for that 30 minute trip, using your example for comparison, I could potential drop 6 MPG, that could hurt if your not balling and don't care too much for 4$/gallon lol

Those are the answers I was looking for! Thanks, I was assuming so, just wanted a confirmation.

I've heard ppl putting a smaller pulley to make less ware on the engine, but don't know how much truth there is to that either.

But 6 MPG is a big difference :excl: for example, most of my commute to work is highway, 25 miles one way. And I'll avg 18-21 mpg, so if I wang it for that 30 minute trip, using your example for comparison, I could potential drop 6 MPG, that could hurt if your not balling and don't care too much for 4$/gallon lol

Well you got to remember that that's slamming full tilt for 40 minutes straight. On a larger engine you probably wouldn't be able to tell much of a difference in MPG but on my 4 cylinder it makes a difference. As for smaller pulley... no excessive engine wear... i've been running a 1.8 inch 8 groove pulley in my Camry for over a year now with an XP and cruise around 3krpms on the freeway and have had no issues. :)

I'm not worried about engine noises, I got a diesel, its already loud. Lol.

Stock form, its not to bad, Once I switch tunes, the injectors change tune and get quiet loud.

And Kyle, I'll email you soon. I like the hairpin stator ideal, even though I don't know much about them. Most of the info I can find is on DC's website.

I'm not extremely worried about idle output, well, depinds on the cost VS one with better output.

I plan on running at least two alts, as it was a factory option. My truck doesn't have it, but my dad has the exact same truck and his does. Soooo I'm going to steal his.

I might even add a third if I need it, I'm pretty sure I found a spot to put it with a homemade bracket.

Also, as far as MPG with my truck, I hear I can haul the weight of my truck and suppose to get the same fuel mileage. Keyword "suppose". I haven't tested it but a buddy of mine said he has and said its pretty close. 18mpg normal and 15mpg with around 9k of a trailer and car pulling behind it. *This was mostly highway driving easy and 70mph.

Oops if i'm wrong but wouldnt putting a smaller pulley on make the engine work harder, not less wear and tear?

Smaller pulley would cause the alternator to spin faster.

That means smaller pulley compared to whatever is "supposed" to be used means

the alternator will be putting out more power at a lower rpm than normal...

that means more horsepower loss at a lower rpm which means even more sluggish driving while under maximum load.

I would NOT put a smaller pulley on anything when buying a new high output alternator.

If anything, you would want a larger pulley if you do not like the feel of the car at rpms around ~1000rpm or lower.

Larger pulley would drop the output at rated rpm by several amps.

The alternator can still produce maximum rated power, just at slightly higher rpm.

This isn't exact but an example is the following-

If a 270 can do ~240A HOT @1800rpm,

Then larger pulley may not output 240A HOT until ~2500rpm for example...

Again, not exact math, just randomizin numbers for ya.

Oops if i'm wrong but wouldnt putting a smaller pulley on make the engine work harder, not less wear and tear?

that means more horsepower loss at a lower rpm which means even more sluggish driving while under maximum load.

I would NOT put a smaller pulley on anything when buying a new high output alternator.

If anything, you would want a larger pulley if you do not like the feel of the car at rpms around ~1000rpm or lower.

The alternator can still produce maximum rated power, just at slightly higher rpm.

Maybe someone from DC could chime in on this one?

Oops if i'm wrong but wouldn't putting a smaller pulley on make the engine work harder, not less wear and tear?

>> Yes the engine works harder just like when you put your A/C on. I have oil analysis' done to my car and have shown no signs of engine wear. Hell they told me to even run my Mobil 1 to 7500 miles before changing. So there are no apparent signs to more wear and tear on the engine even on my little 4 cylinder.

>> I can hardly tell my alternator is there under full load when i reach over 1200 RPMs. Then again, I have a TON of weight in my car too so yeah it's a little sluggish. So barely noticeable.

>> On our cars if you run anything besides a 180HP or XP series alternator it will NOT charge well at all with a larger size pulley thats <= 2inches very well because of how low our cars idle. They idle 400-500 rpms less than what every manufacture "rates" idle at. I can hardly tell my alternator is there half the time unless I really get on it for quite some time and the batteries are recharging and I have my A/C on full blast.

>> More than several... it could make the difference between charging and not charging.. lots of high output alternator companies need to rely on the smallest pulley to get the bare minimum of idle output to charge the vehicle. XPs however you can run a 4 inch pulley and it will still out charge 85-90% of the other "high output" alternators.

4 cylinders make a difference in MPG but honestly OP has a huge engine and probably wont even know the alternator is there.

PS: Let's use a 3 to 1 ratio for this example... 3 Alternator RPM to 1 ENGINE RPM.

So lets break it down for everyone really quick:

1600 RPM - 533 Engine RPM

1800 RPM - 600 Engine RPM

2000 RPM - 666 Engine RPM

2250 RPM - 750 Engine RPM

2500 RPM - 833 Engine RPM

3000 RPM - 1000 Engine RPM

4000 RPM - 1333 Engine RPM

6000 RPM - 2000 Engine RPM

7000 RPM - 2333 Engine RPM

8000 RPM - 2666 Engine RPM

(My Car idles at 650-700 with my A/C on full blast and 700-750 without A/C)

A "220 Amp" alternator that is supposedly a universal alternator... that was ran out of the freezer to get the best output possible...

pbfa220.jpg

Now compare this to a 180HP:

180-HP.png

Now compare this to a 270XP:

270-XP.png

Now that is why even a little change in pulley size with a poorly designed high output alternator can charge your car or simply, not charge at all.

I actually have a question, one I've always wondered about.

Does Alternators have a max wattage they can put out? Like, if you raise the voltage from 14 to 18, does the it change the current output?

Take the XP test. The wattage output is 3817. At 18volts would is produce 212amps? Or does it change? Produce more? Same?

Sign in to follow this