Sencheezy

SMD Distortion Detector

Got to learn to trust your eyes, ears, and sniffer. IF your driver is stressed, it will tell you .

And if you can't hear it yet, you should slow down and not run at full tilt yet anyways.

Looks like a easy tool to use, but I'm more than happy with my O-scope =)

So Sean... if you don't suggest an scope or this device to set gains... the what do u suggest to use/do to do it?

It could be useful. Afterall, the highly regarded manufacturer ZED has them built in to their amps ;)

So Sean... if you don't suggest an scope or this device to set gains... the what do u suggest to use/do to do it?

Educate your ear. If you don't have hearing that is worth a crap as I said earlier in this thread there is nothing that device will do that can't be done with a $5 DMM. If you do that though do NOT set the gains to full max (ie just below clipping), but considering that you can't hear the difference with the gains significantly down from there the need doesn't exist.

It could be useful. Afterall, the highly regarded manufacturer ZED has them built in to their amps ;)

Completely different technology and those are even worse. They do not measure clipping at all.

Depends on what you mean by set. If it is just choosing a logical level to have your amplifier gain knob set to for listening to music then generically speaking it is the best method.

People are getting confused, it is not a clipping detector.

It is a distortion detector, not all clipping is distortion and not all distortion is clipping.

Tough to tell if you have distortion @5khz, 10khz, 15khz as the wave is so small and masked by the larger waves so i can see where the device has practical applications in detection distortion in equipment where an o-scope might not be the be all end all device.

Until people have the units in hand and try everything possible to see what the full capabilities are it won't be an easy thing to say that its useful or useless, only time will tell whether it has a few applications or a myriad of applications.

I agree that using it for only setting gains on amps is a bit overkill in price compared to some of the smaller and more cost effective handheld o-scope units.

Edited by Skullz

A good tool for letting you know what your amp is doing, maybe...

I think what M5 is trying to say is that you could still kill your sub or any other speaker in your sound stage just from sheer over power and a person that is happy with the gain nob still won't learn that lesson. Your ear will let you hear distortion coming out of your speaker thus easily setting your gains to a safe level.

Andrew

I guess my question is what is it looking for and what is the sensitivity required to trigger it.

It is a distortion detector, not all clipping is distortion and not all distortion is clipping.

What harmonics does it measure then? And why would that be useful in a sub? What level is acceptable at each of them?

Again, waste of money.

Tough to tell if you have distortion @5khz, 10khz, 15khz as the wave is so small and masked by the larger waves so i can see where the device has practical applications in detection distortion in equipment where an o-scope might not be the be all end all device.

Until people have the units in hand and try everything possible to see what the full capabilities are it won't be an easy thing to say that its useful or useless, only time will tell whether it has a few applications or a myriad of applications.

I agree that using it for only setting gains on amps is a bit overkill in price compared to some of the smaller and more cost effective handheld o-scope units.

The device only works at the specific frequency(ies) it was designed to operate at. IIRC in the prior thread they stated it was designed to work with a 60hz signal. So it's not going to tell you what the amplifier is doing at 5khz, 10khz or 15khz. Only 60hz.

Can someone pass us a link for a good & cheap handled o'scope ?

I want to / will learn how to use one. I'd rather use an o'scope than this smd thing, even if it's accurate !

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10244

Pocket sized oscope..size of a garmin...100 bucks.