95Honda

60's Mustang Build

I am going to be building an active set up in a buddies late 60's Mustang. It is a built muscle car so I want small and light weight.

A set of Adire Extremis would be perfect, I need small, compact motors..... Anybody have some?

Let me know, I will take them off your hands...

That might be the ticket... Didn't even think to look there...

God damned... Just modeled 1.7Khz 4th order to a set of the full size Vifa ring radiators.... I really think these will be the ticket... I think if I could stay below 2Khz with a 24db slope and stay on axis (somewhat) these would be a killer combo...

I have a ton of Usher, Morel and P/E buyout tweeters laying around, but I don't thing they will behave like those rings....

How accurate is the is the Sundown SAX 100.4 crossover pot? I smell a good combo... I was wondering if it is a Butterwoth of L/R.... Could change my design a little....

And if I (he) need that last octave, I will consider a sub. But not until hearing the front stage first....

I like the way you think. Prefer to have front stage only myself if possible.

I don't know anything about the crossover on the Sundown. I don't know anything about the car either, but I can tell you if it has any kind of performance exhaust, once you start that car, it doesn't matter what system you have in their, it quickly becomes useless. Just something to think about.

Another option you might want to look into is DIYCable Exodus midwoofers (come in 5.25", 6.5" and 8"). They are somewhat oversize but these drivers have no problems digging real low. They would be great for a sub less system as long as you tweeter/full range driver crosses low.

Car has a 450Hp 347 stoker. Serious motor.

But, he is runnning 2 sets of mufflers in series with a set of electric cutouts at the header collectors. So with the cutouts shut, it is pretty mild sounding. Can't talk to each other with the cutouts open, but that isn't stereo time....

A good set like this in the front should be quite adequate I would think. Especially going active with ample power. These cars are small, the kicks will be pointed almost at your face, you sit low with your legs almost straight out.... No rear seats, only a cage in the back. Seats (aftermarket) are mounted low and back. So kicks seem to be the way to go here....

Plus the car is a classic, almost frame up restored and just pristine.... In other words, no cutting door panels or pillars, lol....

But, he is runnning 2 sets of mufflers in series with a set of electric cutouts at the header collectors. So with the cutouts shut, it is pretty mild sounding. Can't talk to each other with the cutouts open, but that isn't stereo time....

A good set like this in the front should be quite adequate I would think. Especially going active with ample power. These cars are small, the kicks will be pointed almost at your face, you sit low with your legs almost straight out.... No rear seats, only a cage in the back. Seats (aftermarket) are mounted low and back. So kicks seem to be the way to go here....

Plus the car is a classic, almost frame up restored and just pristine.... In other words, no cutting door panels or pillars, lol....

Nice! Make sure you post pics when you're done. I'm a huge Mustang nut.

Nice! Make sure you post pics when you're done. I nut huge for Mustangs.

fixed

lol

Mustang Pics

Here are a few pics...

Nice car! Is it a 65 or 66? It has some of both parts.

Not sure, it isn't mine.

It is nice. I haven't been in too many cars as quick on the street.... Or at least feel as quick... Has no problem lighting both tires up at 30-40 Mph....

Not sure, it isn't mine.

It is nice. I haven't been in too many cars as quick on the street.... Or at least feel as quick... Has no problem lighting both tires up at 30-40 Mph....

That is one sweet ass car! Something like that does not come by often. Please take pics as you do this build.

I ended up getting him a set of SDX7s, the top-end Scan-Speak Neo 1" ring radiators and the Leviathan to power everything. It is all being installed this week in Seattle, I am still in Colorado so I won't be working on it. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Should sound pretty good. High end stuff. I think th eonly issue will be the driver side SDX7, it just won't be able to get real on axis do to the clearance needed to operate the clutch... I am sure it will work out fine though...

Nice thing about the Leviathan, he has 2 channels left so a sub is always a future possibility...

I will ask him to take some pictures.

Shop has almost finished the pods, they look pretty nice. SDX7's aren't idealy on axis on the drivers side because of the clutch, but I still think they will sound great. I chose the SDX7's for the off-axis response due to the cone profile and phase plug... The tweeters are positioned pretty good...

In all honesty, I don't think you could put a better combo in a kick pod like this. These are arguably a set of the best dynamic tweeters made at any price right now and the SDX7's aren't a slouch either. Between that and the Leviathan, I think this is going to be one awesome sounding front stage...

I think I am going to order a FI Q 10" to round out the bottom end, he can get just under 1ft3 if fiberglassed properly and it will not take up any room in the back. The remaining 2 channels of the Leviathan will give 600 WRMS and should be a perfect match for the 10.

Picture is from a phone and blury, will get more later...

IMG_20110906_135554.jpg

ba9c0fb.jpg

4f05efd.jpg

Awesome car!!

and M5's comment on Page 1 made me lol.

After a little tweaking (the knobs that indicate frequency on the Leviathan were not spot on) sound is great as first impression. We also ordered the Q10. I am heading to Seattle for a few weeks of vacation next week and will check it out/tweak it myself....

I am pretty stoaked to get him set up with the 10" Q also...... That thing should do pretty good with what he already has.

As a side note, he also told me it gets very, very loud. Which isn't surprising considering the power and drivers. He said as long as the headers aren't open, it is fine even at freeway speed....