ilikedirt

Did multiple runs of 1/0 really help you?

So did it? tell what you have for electrical as well

I have a DB electrical 250a alt, big three XS power d3100, SAZ-3500d

Basically, my question is according to your experiences, will multiple runs help me?

Edited by ilikedirt

why don't you layout your setup so we can see what you have then tell us how you are going to use your setup primarily so your question can be answered easier.

why don't you layout your setup so we can see what you have then tell us how you are going to use your setup primarily so your question can be answered easier.

Agreed. I have multiple runs of 1/0 and it dropped my voltage to 9.4volts wtf. Then I switched and ran a single run of 8 gauge and bam 16.5 volt.

if your goal is to have the same voltage in the back as up front when HOT, then run a single 1/0 cable from Ground post on battery up front OR alternator ground bolt on case to ground post on battery in the rear.

KEEP your amp grounded to the battery in the back AND keep your rear battery grounded to the frame\chassis as well.

If you do not have rear battery, u need one for this to work.

Typically, in daily drivers, i see 0.3-0.9v drop from front to rear once HOT.

Agreed. I have multiple runs of 1/0 and it dropped my voltage to 9.4volts wtf. Then I switched and ran a single run of 8 gauge and bam 16.5 volt.

Wtf. There has to be something wrong then... (or is this a joke ? because it seems like it) :peepwall:

if your goal is to have the same voltage in the back as up front when HOT, then run a single 1/0 cable from Ground post on battery up front OR alternator ground bolt on case to ground post on battery in the rear.

KEEP your amp grounded to the battery in the back AND keep your rear battery grounded to the frame\chassis as well.

The d3100 will be in the back....

So the saying "keep the ground wire short as possible" does not apply if running from ground post on #1 battery to ground post on battery #2?

nope, obviously that wire will be close to 20ft long

The d3100 will be in the back....

So the saying "keep the ground wire short as possible" does not apply if running from ground post on #1 battery to ground post on battery #2?

That saying is a rule of thumb that assumes the vehicle chassis has less resistance than the wire you are using as the ground wire. This isn't always the case.

Wtf. There has to be something wrong then... (or is this a joke ? because it seems like it) :peepwall:

Running 16.5 volts on 8 gauge? I think its a joke ... XD

you can run millions of volts thru 8 guage ;) (no joke :) )

It's amps that heat up the wire.

Edited by kirill007

Damm really! :o i didnt know that. Hehe i learned some new today :D

^ house wiring is only 10 gauge or so (solid wire) but that runs at 120 volts @ 20 amps. or if you think of a florescent light those use about ~700 volts (think its around this area) or more to get the bulb to light up and its off of even thinner wire.

Actually most house wire is anywhere from 12-14 gauge depending on application.

Damm really! :o i didnt know that. Hehe i learned some new today :D

Volts yes. That doesn't mean you can run a high powered system with 8 awg

spark plug wires carry 40K plus volts and look how thin those wires are. its amperage that makes u need large wire not volts. but shizzon your post kind of confuses me since it seems like it contradicts its self. It seems like your saying run 1/0 ground from alt or front battery to rear battery AND ground rear battery to frame/chassis. Is this something like how you leave the factory grounds when you do big 3 since current is going to travel through path of least resistance?

This worked EXCELLENT. i have very little drop at all with the 3500d!

will i get ground loop if i ground bat together with a long run from the front and again at the rear? My ground in the rear isnt very good.

thanks

technically they are already grounded together so i wouldnt see how you would get ground loop. Doing this only greatly helps sustain voltage in the rear.

technically they are already grounded together so i wouldnt see how you would get ground loop. Doing this only greatly helps sustain voltage in the rear.

sweet thanks then I will try it.