ctmaudi

Help Picking A Component Set

Need a new efficient comp set. Doors are well sound deadend, and have about 65rms @ 4ohm or 130rms @ 2ohm to work with (I dont like to run my amps at full power, especially in this heat). Looking for a as much midbass as I can get (resonably), and very dull tweeters. I cant stand high pitched sounding tweets, I have my Crescendos on -3DB and the HU's 5th band set to -5DB to get them right for me.

For budget, Im looking for the best bang for the buck. $80-100 or less would be ideal, though I can do about $150-160 at most.

I was thinking of trying Infinity since they are 2ohm and will get me a bit more power. The Refrence 6030CS or Kappa 60.9CS. Was also considering a set of cheap Cadence CWM-6Kit since they are just $60.

The ID CTX65CS, and Alpine Type Rs at $160 is at the top end of my budget.

Also, Im not much of an EQ tweaker, I just leave the EQ flat (except the 5th band if the highs are too pitchy). So a set that doesnt need any tweaking would be great.

will be watching this one....

Need a new efficient comp set

Looking for a as much midbass as I can get

very dull tweeters.

$80-100 or less would be ideal, though I can do about $150-160 at most.

Also, Im not much of an EQ tweaker, I just leave the EQ flat (except the 5th band if the highs are too pitchy). So a set that doesnt need any tweaking would be great.

I was thinking of trying Infinity since they are 2ohm and will get me a bit more power. (I dont like to run my amps at full power, especially in this heat)

Efficient & Midbass are opposites normally.

Dull tweeters is an interesting description, but in your budget perhaps valid. Be wary of cheap metal with wimpy crossovers.

$80-100 isn't going to net you anything particularly special, even $150. At those prices you really should just go to the store and listen and decide from there.

Flat eq and car install is usually counterproductive. There are always anomalies you should eq down/out. And cheap sets will probably require more work in this domain than something good.

2ohm and not running at heat are extremely opposite. Add to that the 2ohm drivers won't gain you much as they will lose it in efficiency anyways.

So, what should you do? Go listen to some things in your price range and buy them. You will have to either compromise on midbass or output and will have some other compromises as well. Really hard to outline all of them with no background on what sounds good to you. After listening to some feel free to post your thoughts and perhaps it can be narrowed down further.

The problem with that is the only things around here are Bestbuy and walmart. The little car audio shops have the same Pioneer/Alpine/Kicker stuff that they do. They probably have the Infinitys though, but thats probably about it.

I like my Crescendos, but they are defective and the CZ65s arent due for a while. Ive tried waiting for 6 months now, and they still arent in sight.

Sonic electronix has the Boston Acoustics SC60 component set for $150. I have had good luck in a few installs with these. There are also a few DLS component sets near your price range on there. They aren't bad for the money.

The problem with not is that in the price range you are looking at ALL the sets make large compromises and no matter of verbage is going to let you know what that is. Taking the lazy approach of just buying something off the net based on some random person's "I have this and I love them" response isn't going to be your best deal. Much better to spend some time with your ears listening and then to make the decision.

Agree with M5.

Also, don't be so quick to judge the Pioneers, Alpines, Kicker, etc of the world. With your budget you may just find some you like.

Kicker used to have some fantastic component sets, not sure now but go take a listen.

Ive narrowed it down to a few sets. The Infinitys seem to have decent woofers, but from the reviews high pitched tweeters, so passing on those.

First off, anyone know if the Almani S7s are good? I could bridge my amp (and keep the gains down) to power them fully. Silk tweeters, $78 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALMANI-S7-720W-6-5-CAR-STEREO-COMPONENT-SPEAKER-SYSTEM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3369c0ed8eQQitemZ220817583502QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

Then the Cadence CWM-6Kit silk tweeters, $60 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/CADENCE-CWM6KIT-6-5-200-WATT-COMPONENT-SPEAKER-KIT-/390326890071?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item5ae14bae57

MB Quart ONX 216, titanium tweeters though, $80 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/MB-QUART-ONX216-6-5-CAR-AUDIO-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS-/290582790530?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item43a8158182

Alpine Type S, silk tweeters, $80 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-SPS-610C-6-5-2-Way-Component-Car-Speakers-NEW-/290584045968?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item43a828a990

Alpine Type G, silk tweeters, $105 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINE-SPG-17CS-6-5-2-Way-Component-Car-Speakers-NEW-/290583168077?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item43a81b444d

And lastly, Pioneer TS-D1720C. Leaning towards these since they are 60rms and Ive heard Pioneers are efficient. Also 6.75in instead of 6.5s, and has crossovers that looks the same as the crescendo kit I have, which will fit perfectly behind the door panel. Not sure how the tweeters are though. $110 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-TS-D1720C-6-3-4-2-WAY-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS-6-1-2-/360381853280?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item53e86eae60

EDIT: Read a few user reviews, and it seems the Pioneers have no mid bass and are too bright.

Edited by ctmaudi

The problem with that is the only things around here are Bestbuy and walmart. The little car audio shops have the same Pioneer/Alpine/Kicker stuff that they do. They probably have the Infinitys though, but thats probably about it.

I like my Crescendos, but they are defective and the CZ65s arent due for a while. Ive tried waiting for 6 months now, and they still arent in sight.

What?

EDIT: Read a few user reviews, and it seems the Pioneers have no mid bass and are too bright.

I wouldn't trust that at all as that will be completely dependant on install. It's possible that those mids have poor midbass response, but without knowing the details of the install I surely wouldn't trust a review I read online.

I read a few different ones, some had decent installs and power and some didnt. Some said they have good midbass and others dont, so I guess its really not anything to go on.

The Cadance CWM-6KIT seems to be agreed on that they have good midbass, and a bit better mid range then RSDs, but slightly harsh tweeters. Though Ive seen many crossovers burn up, but from people using too low of a HPF or too much power. So Im thinking about those since they are only $60, if they last long enough for the new Crescendos to come out, Id be happy with that. Was also looking at the Lanzar Optidrive 6.1s, just the Lanzar name scares me.

Denim, I got one of the last sets of Bstock CCX65s back in March. One of the mids gets really crackly with anything over 15-20w, and the tweeters are a bit staticky. The crossovers have something rattling in them. Since they were the last ones, they didnt have replacements, so Ive been waiting on the CZs, but they keep getting delayed. So Im just going to get something else for now.

Edited by ctmaudi

Crescendo finally got some more mids in I guess, so they are sending me another set to go through everything to see whats bad and send the rest back to them.