rysc86

mirror rattle?

I haven't done any sounddeading yet. the only really bad rattle you hear on my car are the sides mirrors. when i open the door they stop. would CLD on the doors stop this(i guess by preventing the vibration from reaching the mirrors) or is there any way to deaden the mirrors without seeing anything extra on them. they are the foldable mirrors by the way

Make, model and year of vehicle might help.

Im interested in this as well, mine rattle to but it gets worse with the windows up.

i have a 2001 nissan maxima, it is has 2 layers of deadening on floor, roof, doors, and 3 layers in trunk. currently i am running a single infinity kappa 12 off a infinity 1300a (300 watts) in the trunk. Yes that much deadening for this beasty sub! lol. I have JBL C608 GTi MKii components up front off a JBL GTO752. as you can see i have an insanely loud system! no it sounds really good and still does 138.0 outlaw style and 136.6 30 sec music average in the kick. i say all this because i have mirror rattle from this believe it or not....both my mirrors rattle enough to annoy the average person. Over the years I have become acustom to not even looking at my mirrors and not paying attention to them rattling (have lost a few completely too and didnt sweat it at all just rocked 1 side mirror haha).

also i had a 2001 vw jetta with 2 layers in entire car and 2 alpine type r 12s off mrp1000 in trunk. i was doing 148s yes 148s! on 30 second music average and my mirrors rattled insanely. i even tried to wedge stuff in them to stop it but it did not work. i have yet to figure out how to concure this matter but from all of my vehicles (9 total over the last few years) that i have put 2 layers of deadening in....even 300 watts and single SQ 12....i still have mirror rattle....

I'd suggest taking a look at removing the mirrors and treating just them if that is truly the only thing rattling.

I mean if everything else is solid, why spend the time, effort, and money treating something that isn't the issue? Two SDS Tiles and BOOM problem solved. :)

Honestly I think even treating the housing wouldn't do much as it's the mechanism that the mirror is on that is vibrating not the hosing itself really... I took the mirror off once to see and really there wasn't much to be done since I cannot modify the mechanism so I put it back and forgot about it...

At least that was the case with my car...

well i'm going to need to deaden the doors once or before i get a real front stage in my car i'm going to need to deaden the door anyway.I .probally will put some CCF between the mirror and where it mounts to the car I do believe i need to deaden my rear deck. my substage is a Fi BL firing through the rear deck. on higher bass notes, which should be more directional, it blends pretty good with my current crappy front stage and gives upfront bass (u have to cut it off to really tell its on) but u can tell its back there when it drops which i think is from it rattling stuff back there. i also am going to need a shit load of MLV since i want this crown vic as quiet as my dads lexus.

Edited by rysc

Interesting problem. The mirrors are mounted to a pretty rigid part of the door. Is the entire mirror housing moving, or just the internal parts? Start with the basics: a rattle is always two or more hard objects making intermittent contact because one or more are vibrating. Does holding the housing stop the rattle or do you have to immobilize the mirror itself? If the housing is moving, does holding the door near the mounting point stop it? Use a test tone. Is the rattle in response to subwoofer frequencies or door mounted speaker frequencies. I'd guess sub since opening the door solves the problem.

Not to thread jack, but I have a crown vic as well (2000) with a 18" BTL doing 145's at around 39hz.

And i have numerous rattling issues to be addressed at another time, but I have the same mirror rattling issue. Idk how his rattles, but my whole mirror housing moves visably and rattles loudly but when I grab the housing the rattling stops. The rattling also gets much worse when I have all my windows up.

I had the same problem.. I placed sds thu out the the door, b roped the supports, put duct seal around door speakers, placed ccf in the doors. The mirror noise wasn't as bad but I could still hear it, I knew there wasn't anything I can do to the inside parts of it and that if I put foam or ccf Ill more then likely have mold forming. So I ended up putting silicone rubber sealant around the small gap or channel (where they come together) along the mirror housing/shell and now my mirrors are quiet.. hope that helps.

edit: lol old thrend soory just noticed it

Edited by Zins