swagger_wagon468

cone area vs power

You may need only one 3500 amp for those Dcons. The second one will not help you be much louder. Think about the upgrades you need for that second monster amp. Is it worth it ?

The Dcons are the best choice, maybe ! But I'd rather see / hear Icons, Xcons. Maybe less drivers, but...

Good luck !

Is there a true goal in mind or are ya just looking to get as loud as possible?

Twelve 15s will give you more cone area than sixteen 12s and use less power to get you there. Also will cost less than sixteen 12s. Eight 15s would probably be plenty though and one 3500 would be enough to get them slammin'. Hell, I got to thoroughly enjoy a sealed wall last weekend with eight JBL base model 12s on a single SAZ3500 and it was very nice, pretty damn loud and sounded pretty good too. Low-mid 150s for very extended periods. I'm sure stepping it up to 15" Dcons ported would net a substantial gain in output and sound even better. I'm pretty sure you could achieve high 150s easily with that much cone area.

My goal is 160... so once it gets closer to the build...I will start a thread on how many of what size I should use to achieve my goal.

So there was a hidden goal :P I think it's quite possible and would be easier/cheaper to achieve with several Dcons over the Zcons.

Yea. Lol. My last setup was a 18" xcon on a saz1500. It was around 145 or so... so I want to jump over the 150s and go straight to 160s. :D

Nice, I'm hoping to be able to break 150 for next season with a pair of Zcon 15s, it would be swell if I could get close to that this next month when I try out these SA15s I've had for almost year bnib.

Use whatever you can fit into an optimal enclosure, 99% of the time 10 15's won't be as loud in 10 cubes vs. one 18" in 10 cubes.

Hell yea ohjay! And Duran, of course. Im gonna measure it all out once it gets closer to the day. When I say, "as many as I can"... I do mean in optimal space enclosure.

This is true of course, all speculation until we get some proper dimensions to work with.

Pretty ambitious!

Yea. Lol. My last setup was a 18" xcon on a saz1500. It was around 145 or so... so I want to jump over the 150s and go straight to 160s. :D

Wont be that easy and wont happen like that, if that was the case everybody would be doing 160's. It will take a boat load of money, experience, time, rebuilding and probably messing up plenty of subs to reach your goal. Its not going to happen on the first build you do, it will require lots and lots of testing plus vehicle modifications. Do some research on serious competitors and see what all they done to reach high db levels, there are people who been competing for many number of years who still havent reached 160.

My goal is 160... so once it gets closer to the build...I will start a thread on how many of what size I should use to achieve my goal.

Lol. Be prepared to do heavy vehicle modifications, bracing, window reinforcement, so forth.

Good luck.

And don't forget dB is on a logarithmic scale, not linear. Its only going to get harder and harder. An improvement gaining 5dB from 140dB may only yield a few tenths at 155dB.

That example isn't exactly proportional but you get the idea.

Pretty ambitious!

Yes... yes indeed :)

Wont be that easy and wont happen like that, if that was the case everybody would be doing 160's. It will take a boat load of money, experience, time, rebuilding and probably messing up plenty of subs to reach your goal. Its not going to happen on the first build you do, it will require lots and lots of testing plus vehicle modifications. Do some research on serious competitors and see what all they done to reach high db levels, there are people who been competing for many number of years who still havent reached 160.

:sleepwerd4:

i know. im not planning on reaching it right off the bat. and if i cant... thats fine also. just wanna try my best and have fun doing it.

Lol. Be prepared to do heavy vehicle modifications, bracing, window reinforcement, so forth.

Good luck.

yea. im prepared for all of that. hence the reason for not being my daily anymore. :)

And don't forget dB is on a logarithmic scale, not linear. Its only going to get harder and harder. An improvement gaining 5dB from 140dB may only yield a few tenths at 155dB.

That example isn't exactly proportional but you get the idea.

yea. i understand. im hoping for the best.

Give me a Rex and some big power and I'll hit 150 easy ;)

And remember at a certain point you'll hit diminishing returns which states "The tendency for a continuing application of effort or skill toward a particular project or goal to decline in effectiveness after a certain level of result has been achieved."

im talking 160 not 150. ;)

And remember at a certain point you'll hit diminishing returns which states "The tendency for a continuing application of effort or skill toward a particular project or goal to decline in effectiveness after a certain level of result has been achieved."

and why is that?

and why is that?

What your not understanding is if a person never competed before says there goal is to hit a 160db just shows you they dont understand what goes behind getting a 150 let alone a 160. I hope your not talking about on music neither. Im not saying its impossible but its like rocket science for a begginner and will probably take more time/money/sweat/etc. to even get to the mid 150's than you probably envision. 140-145db increase is not hard, 145db-150db gets more difficult but is attainable. Going from 150-150db+ is not simple at all, most people start loosing db's when they get in that range during testing (i.e. equipment failure, car cant handle it, pockets not deep enough, etc.)

Good luck in competing but set an attainable goal dont just pick a number out your ass, thats a slap in the face to real competitors who put in a hell of an amount of work and are still trying to reach that goal.

I am by no means saying you can't achieve 160db, just adding that it's a lot harder then what your imagining.

A lot of very loud vehicles that even begin to come close to 160 are team vehicles, with lots of resources and money.

I copied this off smd, TL readings from dash.

Derrick Corne - 154.4DB Legal Dash/ Acura Integra 3) 18" DC lvl 5's, 1) stetsom 7k2d

Team Bassick - 160.1DB Legal Dash/ 1990 Chevy Suburban, 6) 18's, 2) SD 12Kd's

BeeJay - 160.8DB NSPL/ Chevy Cavalier, 4) IA Warden 15's, 4) Stetsom 14Kd's

Twistedchild420 - 153.6DB Legal Dash/ Ford Mustang, 2) DD 3518 18" subs,

Smokey - 153.8DB Legal Dash/ 2008 Chevy 2500HD Diesel, 4) 18" AA SMD, 2) Sundown SAZ4500

99s10walled - 154.0DB Legal Dash/ 1999 Chevy S-10, 4) 15 AA Mayhems, 2) AQ 3500's

Assman - 154.4DB BASSRACE/ Chevy Astro, 30) 10's, 5) RF T40001's

Ray - 158.7DB Legal Dash/ Hummer H2, 16) RE SX 12's, 8 ) USAmps MD3D Amplifiers

CHINO11550 - 151.5DB Legal Dash/ Jeep Cherokee, 2) Fi BTL's, 2) DD's M4'z

Gary Killian - 158.5DB Legal Dash/ 2002 Ford Excursion, 12)15's, 8 )XP2400's Crossfire

Ryan Wilhelm - 160.4DB Legal Dash/ 2004 Chevy Trailblazer 4) DC 18's, 2) SD16K's,

Hank - 156.7DB Legal Dash/ Ford F350 48) 10s, 12) 1500's

DB Don - 161DB Legal Dash/ 1989 Blazer 4) N3 15's, 2) Stetsom 7Kd

Lunchbox.inx - 155.6DB Legal Dash/ 1990 Diahatsu 6) 15" Cadance 3)USaudio Bonecrusher2s

I will praise you if you end up near the top of that list (of course in order.)

Oh wow. Music or burps? Also... to me it seems as the highest scores are with 18'sout and lots of power vs tons of cone area...

and why is that?

At a certain point, adding subs and amps becomes baby steps and your biggest increases will come from stopping flex, and designing more efficient enclosures and the like. That's the difference between "ground pounder" and "spl."

Oh wow. Music or burps? Also... to me it seems as the highest scores are with 18'sout and lots of power vs tons of cone area...

Lol, they all have a lot of cone area and power.

Maybe you should do 4 18s and 20kw, or 4 15s and 20kw, or 6 12s and 10kw, or 6 12s and 21kw, or 10 10s and 15kw, or 12 12s and 24kw, or 8 12s and 10kw, get my point?

And if you don't, that's my point.

Very hard to do especially with low tuning playing music.

Ask me how I know? :Doh:

That list Stefhan posted up is very telling. I wish that list showed at what frequency that score was at.