merzbow

Four BTL 15 N2s, three different cutouts

I have four BTL 15 N2s, all ordered and received a couple months ago. The web site claims a cutout diameter of 14.125 inches. Well good thing I measured before I cut, because that's too big for any of my subs. And what's more, the subs all differ from each other! One sub takes a cutout of 13.75, another a cutout of 14, and the final two a cutout of 13.825. (I verified these exactly by cutting different-sized holes in scrap wood with my router, then fitting the subs). All subs have the same outer diameter of 15.5 (again not like the website, which claims 15.625).

I must say I'm kind of surprised the manufacturing tolerances in the basket can vary this much? Is this expected?

i have received subs before where the outer diameter was smaller than stated even with rubber gasket around it but never paid attention to cutout hole tolerances...

Going from 13.75 to 14.125 is 3\8" difference, fairly measurable.

Are you sure that your measuring is accurate? Is your router off maybe? Not trying to call you out just doesn't sound possible for them to vary like that.

Been the same 12 spoke basket die for years...they don't grow 3/8" over time.

14.125" is the cut out, leaves you a little less then 1/8" on each side of the flange for 'wiggle' room, and we're still using the same gasket that we've always used. It wouldn't stretch 3/8" more...

Been the same 12 spoke basket die for years...they don't grow 3/8" over time.

14.125" is the cut out, leaves you a little less then 1/8" on each side of the flange for 'wiggle' room, and we're still using the same gasket that we've always used. It wouldn't stretch 3/8" more...

I made three different cutouts, one 13 3/4", one 13 7/8", another 14". I turn all four subs upside on the floor. Then I take the 13 3/4" cutout and place it over the back of each sub in turn, seeing how far down it will go. It goes down to the gasket on only one sub, for an exact fit (no wiggle room). The 13 7/8" cutout goes down on three subs, two for an exact fit. The 14" cutout goes down on all subs, one for an exact fit. I verify the result by placing all the subs upright, and repeating the fitment tests by putting the subs in the cutouts and lifting the cutouts, seeing how far up they will go. I checked if there was any foreign material between the gasket and the metal that would throw off the results, clean.

There's definitely a manufacturing tolerance issue here. Anyways, people can choose to believe me or not, I don't really care since I'm just making holes of different sizes in my box for each sub specifically.

Considering they've probably popped out a few million parts on those forging dies, i'm sure there probably is slight variance between different ones over the years, but it's not like they simply will not work or will not fit...or totally out of spec.

So long as the flange is flat, and you aren't on the 'bumped' portion of the basket towards the ID of the woofer you're fine.

You're honestly the first person that's said anything about it in the 10 years we've used that basket..

:captain:

Considering they've probably popped out a few million parts on those forging dies, i'm sure there probably is slight variance between different ones over the years, but it's not like they simply will not work or will not fit...or totally out of spec.

So long as the flange is flat, and you aren't on the 'bumped' portion of the basket towards the ID of the woofer you're fine.

You're honestly the first person that's said anything about it in the 10 years we've used that basket..

:captain:

I always like to make the smallest cutout possible for extra stability. Most people just assume wiggle room, I guess, and don't bother to measure it exactly.

I really hope it is 14.125 because i already made a cut in my new box and my n2 15 should be getting shipped out any day now *fingers crossed*

Are you sure the baskets are not cracked around the flange or warped? Seen that happen which throws off the cutout diameter, of course they'd be no good if they were fractured/warped.

Aren't those the Venezuelan baskets? If so, I would have to seriously doubt there really is casting/forging tolerance issue.

Look at your cutouts after the driver didn't fit and make sure there isn't any gouges from excess cast material. If not, UPS or FEDex probably re-adjusted them for you....

are you accounting for your router bit? that is a HUGE thing a lot of people forget to add on. and yes that could EASILY be 3/8"

:)

I have 3- eclipse 88120 TI subs and I found the same issue with those baskets as well.

One of them requires a 3/16" larger cutout than the other two.

This surprised me, but 3/8" is a huge difference.

I typically check the cutout diameter by turning the woofer upside down, then use two framing squares (flat edge to flat edge, kind of like big calipers, to get a measurement) and walk them around the basket to find the cutout diameter necessary for the basket.

Wow... I will definitely need to go take a sampling of baskets and measure. We have never found them to be off that much over the years, let alone in a single batch.

I appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

Thanks,

Scott

Wow... I will definitely need to go take a sampling of baskets and measure. We have never found them to be off that much over the years, let alone in a single batch.

I appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

Thanks,

Scott

Send him a shirt :)

Mind sending me the quotation (from Singapore ;) _)

Thanks

More details after working on my box more... the diameter of the sub as measured from one screwhole to the opposite screwhole is the same, thankfully, so as long as the sub fits in any given cutout, you can match it to any predrilled screwholes. (I imagine if it was otherwise people would have noticed before!) The variance is strictly in how much the basket arms "flare" outwards - that is, if I put one of my subs in a smaller cutout, it "catches" on the arms and won't go in more. Odd, but in my mind, the smaller the cutout the better since that leaves more wood between the cutout edge and the screwholes - more space for tee nuts, less chance of breaking the edge of the MDF, etc. My suggestion - make all the baskets to the 13 3/4" cutout size (or smaller if possible) and mark as such on the website as "minimum cutout". If people want to add wiggle room because they've got shaky hands, they can do so on their own. :)

We do not make the baskets man, the 10,12,and 15" 12 spoke is imported.

If I had a foundry and made the baskets myself I definitely wouldn't be using anything remotely close to that. :)