ssh

Going Active, Maybe.

Okay I'm seriously considering going active for a few reasons: I want midbass with authority, hopefully better sq since I can tune everything, and I like to fiddle and adjust shit like crazy so this will give me something to work on and "perfect" so to speak.

Tweeters and or mid range can fiberglassed to a-pillars or installed in dash. I'll likely try both. Midbass 6.5s will be in kick panels.

I once heard a hybrid audio demo car and it has 4" mid ranges, 6.5" midbass, and 8" subwoofers, no tweeters, and it sounded awesome. Not saying that I'll be able to get away with not using a tweeter.

Let's start from the bottom.

Midbass

I'm looking at:

peerless sls 6.5s http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-6-7-woofers/peerless-830946-sls-6.5-woofer-4-ohm/

and

exodus ex-anarchy http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?products_id=538

Midrange

I found some seas, SEAS Prestige MCA12RC (H1304) 4.5" http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-4-midrange/seas-prestige-mca12rc-h1304-4.5-coated-paper-midrange/

I like the price. :P

And some Hybrid Audio Legatia L3, http://store.12velectronics.com/products/Legatia-L3-Speaker-Set.html

I believe these are what I heard in the demo car where no tweeters were used.

Tweeters

Would I need tweeters if I was using the seas prestige? If so, I was thinking about the seas prestige 1" textile dome tweeter, http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/auto-tweeters/seas-prestige-27tffnc/g-h1396-1-textile-dome-tweeter/

I also happen to have four Aurasound NS3-193-8A 3" Extended Range, http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-3-fullrange/aurasound-ns3-193-8a-3-extended-range/

Could these be used for tweeter/midrange replacement? Or just pretend I don't have them.

Amplifying and Sound Processing

Going to look around for a decent 4 channel (already have a 2channel amp).

example:

tweeters (left and right)2

midrange (left and right)2

midbass (left and right)2

6channels

or

midrange (left and right)2

midbass (left and right)2

4channels

For sound processing, I'm looking into the miniDSPs, specifically the Rev B 2x4, I would use one if I didn't end up using tweeters, or two for tweeters (and two extra channels would be left open, mine as well use them for the subs... :P )

Then I just have to figure out which software plugins I need to buy for crossing over everything. :D

Any one have any input, thoughts, experience, anything to add? :thanx:

Its definately not easy but once you get it right it sounds amazing. It took me months of adjusting to get it exactly how I wanted it. lol. Hopefully it wont take you that long. Having the ability to control every speaker in your car is a beautiful thing. lol

Its definately not easy but once you get it right it sounds amazing. It took me months of adjusting to get it exactly how I wanted it. lol. Hopefully it wont take you that long. Having the ability to control every speaker in your car is a beautiful thing. lol

What did you use for processing and filtering? 2 way or 3 way setup?

i dont think the aura ns3's can play up high enough on their own.

i've run these peerless myself, they sound pretty good. (midbass was sls 8s)

another popular driver

i've heard the minidsp has noise issues when installed in a vehicle, you could get something like a alpine 9855 for ~150 bucks on ebay.

usually when using a fullrange driver you will have to aim the mid on-axis

i dont think the aura ns3's can play up high enough on their own. i've run these peerless myself, they sound pretty good. (midbass was sls 8s)another popular driveri've heard the minidsp has noise issues when installed in a vehicle, you could get something like a alpine 9855 for ~150 bucks on ebay.

I know they make an addon for the minidsp that's suppose to combat that when installed in a car.

The 9855 only has to two rca output for speakers (front and rear), so I didn't use a tweeter then I suppose that would work.

Is there any headunits that are 8 channel with processing? (Since I'll need an additional two for the subwoofers).

A-pillars then. I'll look into the peerless you posted.

i dont think the aura ns3's can play up high enough on their own. i've run these peerless myself, they sound pretty good. (midbass was sls 8s)another popular driveri've heard the minidsp has noise issues when installed in a vehicle, you could get something like a alpine 9855 for ~150 bucks on ebay.

I know they make an addon for the minidsp that's suppose to combat that when installed in a car.

The 9855 only has to two rca output for speakers (front and rear), so I didn't use a tweeter then I suppose that would work.

Is there any headunits that are 8 channel with processing? (Since I'll need an additional two for the subwoofers).

the 9855 has a 3way mode, so you can run fullrange, midbass and sub. just installed it in my bro's car.

Alpine PXA-H701 might be able to do 3way plus sub.. not completely sure though

the 9855 has a 3way mode, so you can run fullrange, midbass and sub. just installed it in my bro's car.

Alpine PXA-H701 might be able to do 3way plus sub.. not completely sure though

Well if I use a driver that plays double duty (full range) then I guess that would work, or I could use a single minidsp.

The nice thing about the headunit is changing all the settings instantly, where as the minidsp I would have to be plugging into computer and flashing, but being able to use any crossover points and slopes would be awesome.

I need to familiarize myself with the better headunits.

I like how those full range tang bands you posted in memphis's thread look. lol. But the pricetag on the peerless you used and liked is nice too!

If you want to use a midrange it HAS to be on axis. No exceptions that I'm aware of. I would start with a mid and a midrange and see if you feel you need the tweeter for the top end. You might be surprised. When I was looking for processing to run active I decided to go with a HU that had the capability because it is a lot more convenient, especially if you're new to it. Mostly because you'll be making so many adjustments. If you don't mind the glide control the 9855 is a nice choice. The only concern I have is I think that unit requires a now discontinued adapter box to get iPod compatibility. If I remember right it was fairly expensive for the actual unit (not just the cable). The 9887 only requires a cheap ($20ish) cable that connects directly to the back of the unit. Not sure how important iPod functionality via usb is to you, but it's something to consider if it is a feature you care about. Personally, I'd stay away from those HAT drivers. Just seem really over priced IMO and I'm sure something of equal quality can be found for less.

If you want to use a midrange it HAS to be on axis. No exceptions that I'm aware of. I would start with a mid and a midrange and see if you feel you need the tweeter for the top end. You might be surprised. When I was looking for processing to run active I decided to go with a HU that had the capability because it is a lot more convenient, especially if you're new to it. Mostly because you'll be making so many adjustments. If you don't mind the glide control the 9855 is a nice choice. The only concern I have is I think that unit requires a now discontinued adapter box to get iPod compatibility. If I remember right it was fairly expensive for the actual unit (not just the cable). The 9887 only requires a cheap ($20ish) cable that connects directly to the back of the unit. Not sure how important iPod functionality via usb is to you, but it's something to consider if it is a feature you care about. Personally, I'd stay away from those HAT drivers. Just seem really over priced IMO and I'm sure something of equal quality can be found for less.

I don't use the usb/ipod cable so that's fine.

I can mount the mid range on axis no problem.

I literally just read some reviews of the HAT L3 midrange I was looking at, one review did a direct drop in with a $50 cdt driver and said he couldn't tell the difference. Also found some tests with an rta and so forth, people seem to come to a conclusion that they are hyped up.

So now I'm looking into full range 3"- 4" drivers on pe / madisound.

It doesn't look like the 9887 has a regular aux input, dammit.

I'm thinking of just doing:

exodus ex-anarchy mid bass, Peerless 830986, 3" Full Range, 4 channel amp, and some alpine head unit with aux input and crossovers for 2way.

My advise is get a processor you can adjust via usb or Bluetooth, or is controlled by the headunit.

Alpine has a option, the combo isn't cheap.

RF 360.3(I actually would love one of these)

Or the Audison bitONE.(I'm not sure if the new bitTEN will do what you want)

But check those out if you haven't thought of them already. I honestly couldn't imagine tuning a external unit that you can't access seating in the drivers seat.

Also, time alignment is a must.

My advise is get a processor you can adjust via usb or Bluetooth, or is controlled by the headunit.

But check those out if you haven't thought of them already. I honestly couldn't imagine tuning a external unit that you can't access seating in the drivers seat.

Hmm, the cheapest I found out of all those was a bit ten on ebay for $400 from bulgaria.

I'll have to read more on the minidsp, perhaps if I have it hooked up to a laptop I can adjust the crossovers on the fly. Otherwise I'm getting way out of my budget with a bit ten.

btw, aux input for the 9855 is like 10 bucks.

Hmm, the cheapest I found out of all those was a bit ten on ebay for $400 from bulgaria.

I'll have to read more on the minidsp, perhaps if I have it hooked up to a laptop I can adjust the crossovers on the fly. Otherwise I'm getting way out of my budget with a bit ten.

How about a 360.1 or .2 used?

I haven't looked lately but those new should be in the 300ish range I'd would assume. I actually am buddies with a RF dealer, so whenever I decide to go active, I'll be able to get one at a reasonable price.

But as far as most easily controlled processor/crossover is going to cost 300+. Unless you go with a older used headunit, like the 9855(which I've always wanted one).

Pioneer has a few options too.

Check around classifieds though, you could possibly get lucky. I've noticed if your on a budget, patience is your friend. And usually if you wait and look hard enough, you will find a good deal.

On a side note, what are you currently running and how is it installed? And have you tried everything you can to get the most out of it?

I really wish you would be at the USACI World Finals Event on the 24th, Shreveport, La ...

There will be ALOT of Sound Quality vehicles to DEMO ...

btw, aux input for the 9855 is like 10 bucks.

Thanks, that certainly helps. :P

My advise is get a processor you can adjust via usb or Bluetooth, or is controlled by the headunit.Alpine has a option, the combo isn't cheap.RF 360.3(I actually would love one of these)Or the Audison bitONE.(I'm not sure if the new bitTEN will do what you want)But check those out if you haven't thought of them already. I honestly couldn't imagine tuning a external unit that you can't access seating in the drivers seat.Also, time alignment is a must.
Hmm, the cheapest I found out of all those was a bit ten on ebay for $400 from bulgaria.I'll have to read more on the minidsp, perhaps if I have it hooked up to a laptop I can adjust the crossovers on the fly. Otherwise I'm getting way out of my budget with a bit ten.
How about a 360.1 or .2 used? I haven't looked lately but those new should be in the 300ish range I'd would assume. I actually am buddies with a RF dealer, so whenever I decide to go active, I'll be able to get one at a reasonable price.But as far as most easily controlled processor/crossover is going to cost 300+. Unless you go with a older used headunit, like the 9855(which I've always wanted one).Pioneer has a few options too.Check around classifieds though, you could possibly get lucky. I've noticed if your on a budget, patience is your friend. And usually if you wait and look hard enough, you will find a good deal.On a side note, what are you currently running and how is it installed? And have you tried everything you can to get the most out of it?

I currently have a set of $100 vibe audio 6.5" comps installed in kick panels and tweeters in dash. I've messed with their positioning and what not, certainly got them better then in the past.

I know their a cheap pair of comps, but even looking at some nicer 2way comp sets, I don't see any that have massive midbass drivers like the exodus ex-anarchy.

I'll look into the RF 360's, the more I think about it though, if the audison will allow me to adjust everything on the fly, I may just bite the bullet and get one (used is cool).

The cool thing about using one of these is I wouldn't have to replace my head unit, which isn't the end of the world, just one less thing to do.

Everything I see it looks like the audison bit one would work as well, does it cost more then the bit ten?

Thanks for the help.

I really wish you would be at the USACI World Finals Event on the 24th, Shreveport, La ... There will be ALOT of Sound Quality vehicles to DEMO ...

Me too, but a tad too far. :P

HAT is overpriced yuck.

As always though you should start with mounting locations, goals and limitations. In the active world there are a ton of ways to skin a cat. I do have one concern with the path you are going down (that I love btw) and that is output. A single on axis 3" driver isn't going to be all that "loud" so depending on your goals you may need to alter that.

I really wish you would be at the USACI World Finals Event on the 24th, Shreveport, La ...

Please get over your idiotic competition nonsense. If you want to demo what SQ sounds like just put on some headphones or sit in a living room with a half decent stereo. It really isn't that hard.

Please get over your idiotic competition nonsense. If you want to demo what SQ sounds like just put on some headphones or sit in a living room with a half decent stereo. It really isn't that hard.

Can you not read ??? I said absolutely nothing about competition ... And to be honest, I never said anything about listening to my truck because the equipment /setup he is looking for is nothing like mine, but there is PLENTY vehicles set up like what he is interested in ... And i would like to meet up with as many SSA members as possible just to chat, demos, pictures and vids ...

Quit being so subjective ... Maybe if you went to a few competitions, who knows, you might like it ... :drink40:

HAT is overpriced yuck.As always though you should start with mounting locations, goals and limitations. In the active world there are a ton of ways to skin a cat. I do have one concern with the path you are going down (that I love btw) and that is output. A single on axis 3" driver isn't going to be all that "loud" so depending on your goals you may need to alter that.

I really wish you would be at the USACI World Finals Event on the 24th, Shreveport, La ... There will be ALOT of Sound Quality vehicles to DEMO ...

I could vary well switch to a 4", or perhaps a vertical array (2) of the 3" drivers. I just don't want to mix to many drivers together and not being able to control everything.

Can you not read ??? I said absolutely nothing about competition ... And to be honest, I never said anything about listening to my truck because the equipment /setup he is looking for is nothing like mine, but there is PLENTY vehicles set up like what he is interested in ... And i would like to meet up with as many SSA members as possible just to chat, demos, pictures and vids ...

Quit being so subjective ... Maybe if you went to a few competitions, who knows, you might like it ... :drink40:

Lord, you still don't understand subjective. This can help: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/subjective

And you did say to go to USACI World Finals to DEMO cars. I just stated that was unnecessary as there are easier ways to have a "demo". Seems like I can read, not so sure about your comprehension though.

I could vary well switch to a 4", or perhaps a vertical array (2) of the 3" drivers. I just don't want to mix to many drivers together and not being able to control everything.

Definitely a possibility and I agree with the control comment ;)

Lord, you still don't understand subjective. This can help: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/subjective

And you did say to go to USACI World Finals to DEMO cars. I just stated that was unnecessary as there are easier ways to have a "demo". Seems like I can read, not so sure about your comprehension though.

Definitely a possibility and I agree with the control comment ;)

I'm going to measure out the a-pillars to dash and see how much depth / diameter I'm willing to put up, I don't them to be overly large to where I can see out the sides.

Just sold the xcons, woot, cha ching!

Just very quick since I'm on my phone and have to remember a bunch and can't use quotes lol.........the exodus/peerless combo would be the best sounding out of all the combos imo. Since you plan on using an external processor,the 9886 wouldn't be a bad headunit to look at as I had great success with my old one. The 3sixty.3 is not out until 2012 so that's not an option, the 3sixty.2 is great for the money since u can find them used for under 300, the bit 10 is a linedriver with internal dsp and wouldn't give you the control your looking for. Also DO NOT get it from eBay,as EVERY SINGLE ONE from Bulgaria and Malaysia have come back fake. They are 499 at an auth dealer. Lastly the bit 1 is the most complete and offers the best processing on the market right now. It has everything that you have asked for including 8 channels, digital inputs, 32 band eq per channel etc.......the price on these are 900 new and about a month wait if its not in stock, or average 700 used. I hope I have helped you in some way. Oh yeah, congrats on the sale!!