Scarface

Glock 19 or 21/30

I had a XD Tactical .40 and like a fool, I sold it. I believe the XD is superior in every way to the glock.

Sorry, but no. I don't believe extractor failure and slides breaking make them superior to Glocks.

Link?

I love my XDM. I haven't read anything about issues but I'm not actively looking either.

The Glock felt horrible in my hand. I was raised on the 1911 though and perhaps that biased me.

Not to mention it's hard for me to seperate Glock from gangbanger in my mind. Other than you cowboy.

:)

Look like the only way to help me pick is to hit the range & put 100+ rounds in on any thing I like...

I was lookin at the kimber 45 but for that price I can get 2 glocks or a glock n extra ish with the local shop deal. Thats reason I pick glock plus it is easy to clean & It can be doged n still shoots if the it's clear.

There are better .45's than Kimber, they don't exactly have the best track record.

If you are going to carry, get actual training and keep up on it.

The caliber debate is worthless, what a .45 gives you over a 9mm is personal preference, little different shooting gun, and less magazine capacity. For all practical purposes it is not superior in stopping power.

I beg to differ on the caliber debate. I have seen people shot with both 9mm (beretta) and .45 (glock) and the deceased I have seen from the .45 were dropped with less rounds fired than with the 9mm. I have seen a hadji who had taken 4 9mm rounds to the upper body (upper stomach/chest area) and still kept going. Then I have seen another (similar dress, age and build) take one .45 round to the same area and drop dead.

For my money i'll take the .45

J

Look like the only way to help me pick is to hit the range & put 100+ rounds in on any thing I like...

I was lookin at the kimber 45 but for that price I can get 2 glocks or a glock n extra ish with the local shop deal. Thats reason I pick glock plus it is easy to clean & It can be doged n still shoots if the it's clear.

There are better .45's than Kimber, they don't exactly have the best track record.

If you are going to carry, get actual training and keep up on it.

The caliber debate is worthless, what a .45 gives you over a 9mm is personal preference, little different shooting gun, and less magazine capacity. For all practical purposes it is not superior in stopping power.

I beg to differ on the caliber debate. I have seen people shot with both 9mm (beretta) and .45 (glock) and the deceased I have seen from the .45 were dropped with less rounds fired than with the 9mm. I have seen a hadji who had taken 4 9mm rounds to the upper body (upper stomach/chest area) and still kept going. Then I have seen another (similar dress, age and build) take one .45 round to the same area and drop dead.

For my money i'll take the .45

J

Handgun rounds are a lot different from a rifle round since they go less than half the speed and don't have the energy for such a large temporary cavity that causes damage. A persons mindset is a large part of if they keep going, or if they lay down and die unless a hit is to the vitals/CNS. That being said, most people even if shot with a .22 are going to lay down and try to die, it all depends on the person and their mindset. There are plenty of police reports of people being shot with .45's, .44 mags, .40 S&W multiple times center mass and still not dying instantly or even getting knocked down.

Everyones seen this, but there isn't much difference in the rounds.

Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

Now that being said, if I had to pick I'd rather be shot by something else than a .45, but I really don't want to be shot period.

I had a XD Tactical .40 and like a fool, I sold it. I believe the XD is superior in every way to the glock.

Sorry, but no. I don't believe extractor failure and slides breaking make them superior to Glocks.

Link?

I love my XDM. I haven't read anything about issues but I'm not actively looking either.

The Glock felt horrible in my hand. I was raised on the 1911 though and perhaps that biased me.

Not to mention it's hard for me to seperate Glock from gangbanger in my mind. Other than you cowboy.

:)

My brother has an XD, I don't mind the gun, but there are people who have problems with slides cracking on slightly higher round counts(~7-10k if I remember correctly), I don't have any links right now though.

I love my Glock. :)

I will never have an automatic for personal protection. I keep a taurus 3" judge with 3/0 buckshot in the cupholder in my DD. A American Darenger 38 special in my back pocket(when I'm not working). And my old lady keeps a lady's 38 special in her dd, and a 2" judge in her purse.

I generally agree with you in the 9mm vs .45 nightmare. In fact if I was given prior notice to a situation I would rather have the higher capacity that a full sized 9mm would offer. More chance to kill.

All that said though, the .45 will have more force if it hits bone. Assuming no weird Wildcats are at play it carries more energy in the close range type situations.

At least that is my understanding. Either will kill in 1 shot. There is a LOT of discussion now about how JHP works after going through heavy fabric. This could be as light as sturdy denim, and can negatively affect expansion.

The 9mm vs.45 fight will probably never stop though.

I will never have an automatic for personal protection. I keep a taurus 3" judge with 3/0 buckshot in the cupholder in my DD. A American Darenger 38 special in my back pocket(when I'm not working). And my old lady keeps a lady's 38 special in her dd, and a 2" judge in her purse.

I have read some really interesting info on the judge and how its not really that good for self defense. The cartridge has issues with penitration. It can and will kill, however in the test I saw it didn't pass the depth that most 3letter agencies set for a lethal shot.

We're not talking about a trained government official going for a kill shot. For someone wanting personal protection I gaurantee a shot of 410 birdshot to the face, 2 or 3 45 magnums to the chest will do the job.

^^^ Ill take a shot gun shell to a single slug anyday.

We're not talking about a trained government official going for a kill shot.

If the goal isn't to neutralize the threat, whats the point of shooting them?

If you don't kill them, they will sue you. If you kill them, their family will sue you. Either way you are fucked.

If you don't kill them, they will sue you. If you kill them, their family will sue you. Either way you are fucked.

If its legal and justified you don't have a problem, if its not, well you deserve to be fucked.

We're not talking about a trained government official going for a kill shot. For someone wanting personal protection I gaurantee a shot of 410 birdshot to the face, 2 or 3 45 magnums to the chest will do the job.

Ill take a shot gun shell to a single slug anyday.

I know where you're comming from but I completely disagree. The penetration test is used to gauge lethality(is that a real word? I'm going with it.) of a given cartridge in a certain gun. In pistols it's at close range.

Even in the big 3" .410 slugs they will only get up to 640 foot pounds of energy.

A 9mm can pass that if it's hot. A 44mag can bark with 1,500 foot pounds.

If your using shot in the judge it would have even more issues, and would spread all over.

Hummmm keep the post coming.... birdshot in a hand gun, gotta get some them shell for fun.

It's a great snake gun, but not so good for defense.

I haven't gone out to get my CCL yet. The main reason for me to get it is zombies, polar bears, or some one on bath salts/PCP/meth. If I get mugged by a sane person I hand over my loot and its over. Rational people can be dealt with in simple terms. However if some junkie freak attacks me to him its life and death. I may look like the giant bugs that live under his skin for all I know.

DJ, I bet the Glock would do you fine if u find it comfortable to shoot. Sticking to a common round makes practicing more affordable. .45 and 9mm are really the most loved and probably make up the lions share of all rounds.

If you are a bigger guy, having a full size, or close to full size is even better. If you want to try something slim a 1911 is a great option and has eleventybillion options. I like mine more than any other pistol I have shot. The only downside is the 8 round mag is smaller than modern style pistols. It's also why they can be made slimmer.

It's really most about comfort and what you can afford to practice on.

i own a glock 20

10mm

the nugent gun lol

:peepwall:

ammo is expensive though, unless u get it during gun & knife shows

Edited by djjdnap

The 10mm is a hot round, .40 magnum basically.

I would love a 10mm. Super unique. Unless I'm reloading though its nonsense expensive. Heck .45 is getting expensive.

Yall saying what I was thinkin... I picked 9mm & .45 becaide no matter where I go can find them shells. They sold every where & army using them so they not ever gone stop making them...

While your at it, check out Springfield Armory, I have the xdm, very comfortable grip, lightweight, accurate, holds 19rds (9mm in my case).

i have the xd45 compact, very nice gun, i love mine. not too hard to carry either. i almost went with the xdm, but after reading thoroughly on both, i decided i didnt need to spend the extra money. both are nice though!

but yea, OP, check into springfield as well, dont limit yourself JUST to glock, even though both are nice guns.

x eleventy billion :D

If it ain't comfortable to shoot you aren't going to want to practice on the range and if you aren't going to want to practice on the range it'll be useless to conceal carry. Might as well have an extendable baton tucked up under your belt; would be a whole lot safer :lol2:

x eleventy billion :D

If it ain't comfortable to shoot you aren't going to want to practice on the range and if you aren't going to want to practice on the range it'll be useless to conceal carry. Might as well have an extendable baton tucked up under your belt; would be a whole lot safer :lol2:

This is more important than manufacturer or caliber. If you can't hit your target, it doesn't matter what you have. My CCW is a little odd (Beretta 92 compact) but I've been shooting this pistol since my father gave it to me when I went off to college (1987).

The second most important item is a comfortable holster. If you are comfortable, you are more likely to carry. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck. If I'm wearing anything with a belt, I have it on. Since I work from home, I carry 16 hours a day minimum.

Finally, training. Not the standard CCW training class. That is just a start. Last year I took a more advanced class at my local range. We practiced drawing and putting two rounds in center mass. Close quarters draw and shoot. Clearing a jam. Mag swaps. Shooting while moving. I learned more in that class than all of my years around "gun experts". I'm hoping my schedule allows me to take the level 1 class from Israeli Combat Training the next time Ben is in town.