Godsmack

Best Install Options

Not to be funny but I recon you should clean all that shit up first before doing any thing else. Kind of a shame to have a cool car like that falling apart? Not to mention god damned dirrrty.

Just to so I dont completely go off topic here is my input.

You have plenty of space on the dash for fiber pots and you will not be covering too many vents if any on there.

Second option; I really do like my pillar pods.

Is those the Hybrid L1 pros ???

I was in competition this past weekend with a very similar setup (sounded Great) ... Very nice ...

Yeah had the opportunity to hear the hybrids once, loved them though apparently they needed some tuning to get right.

These however are some cheapies from the CDT CL-62 range. The tweets are real nice but the mids could be better. Great speakers for the price. They are about in the same class as the focal A1's but the tweeters are still nicer while the A1's has nicer mids.

Excellent project vehicle my friend ...

My friend has those Boston Acoustics plates in his Trans Am running off radio power ...

This is his weekend drag machine so nothing heavy but wanted something to listen to ... Sounds great for what it is ...

Might be an option for ya while you get other stuff taken care of first ...

just a suggestion ... Any "hop ups" to that HO305 yet ?? First thing I did to mine was the underdrive pulleys and exhaust system ... :drink40:

Only thing is Edelbrock headers and flowmasters on back.

Its going to revieve a new alternator, and pipes eventually. Also on tap is a new battery (soon)

J

J, are the outer a/c vents re-routable? If so, I'd know what I'd do.

WOW !!! This car brings back memories !!!

I had a 1985 Camaro IROC Z28 ... I really miss that car ... Mine had the Alpine plates in the stock locations (dash and rear quarters) ...

Sounded Great ... Can't wait to see what you come up with here ...

STOP typing in ellipses, its annoying as well. Almost the same as ultra long run-on pointless sentences and all caps.

Alpine plates, sounded great? At least we know why you like what you like now.

J, are the outer a/c vents re-routable? If so, I'd know what I'd do.

WOW !!! This car brings back memories !!!

I had a 1985 Camaro IROC Z28 ... I really miss that car ... Mine had the Alpine plates in the stock locations (dash and rear quarters) ...

Sounded Great ... Can't wait to see what you come up with here ...

STOP typing in ellipses, its annoying as well. Almost the same as ultra long run-on pointless sentences and all caps.

Sean, from what I have seen it CAN be done. Just very costly and requires basically stripping the. ENTIRE interior.

Getting a new HU tonight and some other shit..........pics and model numbers after I get home.

J

Those speakers was in the car when I bought it ... wasn't my idea ...

With a 12 second street / strip car, less weight as possible was the concept ... not the big stereo system ...

If you do not like the way I type, then you can ban me ... I really don't give a Shit ...

With a 12 second street / strip car, less weight as possible was the concept ... not the big stereo system ...

If you do not like the way I type, then you can ban me ... I really don't give a Shit ...

Trying to make the site more intelligent?

You were the one that said sounded great.

You were the one that said sounded great.

Sounded great for what I needed, but never said anything about a sound stage.

All I really cared about with that car was outrunning Mustangs in the quarter mile ... :drink40:

My tag said "I eat GTs"

Well today on my local CL I found these Eclipse items all listed as 'best offer' (description written as advertised):

(2) Eclipse SW-9152 titanium cone subs

(2 sets) Eclipse SC-8355 5.25" 3 way component speakers Sub, mid and tweeter with crossover

(1) Eclipse CD-8445 head unit, 50 watts RMS, 3 inputs, 1 output via RCA (I BELIEVE he ment 3 outs, one in) 8V RCA's.

Met the guy at the mall. Everything metered out just fine minus one 'sub' of the component set. That one seemed to read high on the ohms selector. (6 ohms to the other 3's 3 ohm)

Pics are uploading now.

J

EclipseGear_002.jpg

EclipseGear_003.jpg

EclipseGear_004.jpg

EclipseGear_005.jpg

EclipseGear_006.jpg

EclipseGear_007.jpg

EclipseGear_008.jpg

EclipseGear_011.jpg

EclipseGear_012.jpg

EclipseGear_013.jpg

EclipseGear_014.jpg

EclipseGear_015.jpg

EclipseGear_016.jpg

EclipseGear_017.jpg

EclipseGear_018.jpg

EclipseGear_019.jpg

EclipseGear_020.jpg

EclipseGear_021.jpg

EclipseGear_022.jpg

EclipseGear_023.jpg

EclipseGear_024.jpg

EclipseGear_025.jpg

EclipseGear_026.jpg

EclipseGear_001.jpg

Especially for a couple hundred bones.

J

Nice score J, now the question becomes what to use and what to resell :)

Sounded great for what I needed, but never said anything about a sound stage.

All I really cared about with that car was outrunning Mustangs in the quarter mile ... :drink40:

My tag said "I eat GTs"

ROFL. Sounded great and now was uber fast. At least you are funny, although it is usually when you aren't trying to be.

We were talking about building new door panels, which could technically house everything, but my guess is, less is more?

On the doors, we could position the tweeter and midrange into any direction.

The woofers (5.25") could be rotated up a little bit, fire more towards the opposing listening seat, or something. :roflmao:

Nice score J, now the question becomes what to use and what to resell :)

Thanks Sean! As Stefan was mentioning we are discussing the doors and how to re-do the panels. I know when you get more than one set going it can be MUCH harder to get proper staging. Especially with a car like this. PERSONALLY I am rolling around the idea of doing the 'subs' (aka low end of the mids) in the doors, then the 'mid' and tweeters off the A pillar.

I am more than likely coming up with a shitty idea on that, and I am all for hearing that this idea is shit, but I just would like to know what makes it such a shitty idea (if it is).

Also as to what to resell, as of right now I am thinking the subs are going to go. I have to hook up the HU tonight and see if it works, and if so how well. If it doesn't or doesn't work to well then its going to eBay for parts.

J

I don't know how much reupholstering costs around you but usually it's way more practical to get a set of seats from a junkyard. Not familiar with firebirds but I wouldn't think they'd be too limiting on seat choices (usually if height and width isn't a limiting factor just about any seat will fit with minor work).

The junk yards only seem to have faded as hell or torn up seats for sale. I am eBay hunting like all he'll for what I want.

J

I don't know how much reupholstering costs around you but usually it's way more practical to get a set of seats from a junkyard. Not familiar with firebirds but I wouldn't think they'd be too limiting on seat choices (usually if height and width isn't a limiting factor just about any seat will fit with minor work).

Indeed and why not. My 59 Beetle had Conquest TSI seats in it. In your case, I'd consider it a chance to upgrade! Nothing even nice about F-body seats IMO.

See I enjoyed the F-body seats. I just want leather LOL.

BTW Sean, would you recommend glassing the 'mids' and tweeters of the three ways into the A-pillars, or into the doors with the 'subs'?

9/10 I am going to end up saying 'piss on it' and amping them.

J

if your running active, mid and tweeter in the A pillar would be great. if passive then keep them all together.

then again, i'd sell them and run some larger midbass like sean suggested :)

I listen to about the same genre's of music as you do Jordan, and I am very happy with the full-ranger's up high on axis and active, with a big mid-bass. This set-up is efficient and works well bc the full-range driver requires minimal power, and are cheap. This set-up sounds good bc I can hear all directional sounds from the FRer's, which is important with these genre's. Next, I am not married to a mid-bass so I can run whatever driver's I feel like and cross them low enough that they don't require being mounted up high or on-axis.

I personally would give the comp set a listen and see what you think of them before doing anything else.

If I where running passive and low powered, I would want to mount all three drivers vertical on the a-pillar. My next option would be as high and as far foward as possible on the door, including the mid-bass. The latter idea would work well since you have the old door cards to work with. Plus IIRC the metal cones in that comp set sounded better off-axis, so thats two for the door. Seperating the driver's in the comp set is a bad idea due to T/A. Mounting both set's is a bad idea for the same reason.

If I where going to run active I would start with better driver's.

When are we going to finish up your sleeve? I am still into doing the work. :D

On a lighter note, I would love to see Sean stuffed in a VDub Beetle. :P

I've got some bravox 8's I am not opposed to using in the front doors.

I am just unsure of what to do here. I wish I had more listening options around here. I just gotta research research research. The panels and A piller panels get dropped off Friday to get built.

I know AS OF NOW my plans are to use the Eclipse componants. I just gotta figure out if they are best with the crossovers included or if I am better off with something else.

I have time off the weekend of the 7th-10th but just don't have the spare coin for a plane ticket and ink...

J

Hummm.... The 8" might work for a midbass. hook it up active and see what it sounds like, you never know. Obviously you would have to ditch the comp midbass and xovers. So then you'll need 3 seperate pairs of amp channels to run active, unless you have a processor.

If you can get here, I will ink you for free Bro. Then you can demo the full-ranger set-up.

You realize your making a ticket to CO sound really good considering the amount of ink I want done.

Let me talk it over with the Wifey.

As for the active setup, I could see going that way..........Kinda waiting on Sean's input here too.

J

Midbass + that comp set is a no. I'd actually either choose to use those as is and mount them close together or go all in and do an active setup. Can't pick effort level for you.