Sign in to follow this  
MikeMartel

2004 Impala - Fi BTL 18" N2

Hello Guys, I dont have any real pictures yet, but iv decided to get a little hype going for my first ever build. So heres what is going to be happening.

Iv got a 2004 Impala, Currently with a set of Infinity 5.25 Reference components and Pioneer 6x9 coaxials in the back, powered by a PG Ti 500.4.. I had 2 Alpine Type X 10" and sold them.

Now what will be happening with my current setup is as follows

-Removing rear 6x9's to make room for my box in the trunk.

-Replacing Infinity's with Bravox CS50k's

-Keeping PG Ti 500.4 to power Bravox's

-American Bass VLF 100.1 to power the subwoofer

-18" Fi BTL N2 in the trunk, tuned to 32hz.

Ill be building a box out of cardboard to make sure it will slide in nicely before i actually build the full thing. Pictures coming soon of my sub and amp, Ill also be posting the process of building my box (Be easy on me its my first time!)

Sounds like its gonna be a good build. My friend wants to fit an 18" into the same impala. Tuned in to see how this goes :)

I'm looking forward to seeing your build progress bro. Doing the build log on here is a great thing too. It won't be easy shoe horning that 18 into that trunk and I figure you're gonna need some help. What better place to get it? :D

Well, bring on the pics, mach up box and all. This will be a great build if you take your time and do it right.

Now,

:ttiwwop:

Well... im at my girlfriends house tonight... and tomorrow is football.. So ill do my best to get those pictures in on Monday

Alright, got some pictures. Heres my Fi BTL N2 18", the AB 100.1 and what done of my box so far. Hopefully get a bit more done later tonight :)

017.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

Edited by MikeMartel

Fuckin' yay! It's about time brother, you've got plenty to work with, I hope everything works out for you. :morepower1:

Feeling a bit better about it today, yesterday i was a little nervous because it was my first time but im getting the hang of it. Had a little bit of a scare because i split the wood with my first screw :suicide-santa: I used a bit of a bigger drill bit for my pilot hole and that fixed the problem. Hopefully pictures later tonight. :morepower1:

Loving your equipment choice.

Enclosure is coming out nicely. :)

Here is what i got done last night.. Ill be putting up more pictures up on sunday, or maybe even tomorrow night when its done!

photo2.jpg

looking good bro!!! :fing34: :fing34: :fing34:

Ok... So my box wont fit with the double baffle.. Its too high. :suicide-santa: I think what ill do, is use the router to cut the height down just around where the sub needs to be mouted, that way i can still basically have a double baffle, with the same height as a single.

Ok... So my box wont fit with the double baffle.. Its too high. :suicide-santa: I think what ill do, is use the router to cut the height down just around where the sub needs to be mouted, that way i can still basically have a double baffle, with the same height as a single.

Like flush mount?

I think that's what he means, and flush mounts are sexy, so no biggy! lol

Also- Are you building that enclosure in your living room?! :peepwall:

Building it in the basement, :)

OK so, here is what iv decided to do, because it wont fit, and because i butchered that one baffle pretty bad this is what i did.

IMG_0264.jpg

I kind of flush mounted a bottom baffle for extra support, and will be screwing the top baffle to that. Heres what it looks like. (I know i know i messed up that cut bad, thats why its on the bottom ;) )

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

My box doesnt fit with the top on so its not secured yet.. Im going to have to slide my box into my trunk first, then glue and screw down the top baffle and sub while its in my trunk with like 2" clearance..... awesome :D

Also, got my gains set properly using my multimeter and a 45hz test tone.

What do you think :D. Not bad for my first time. :peepwall:

should get loud. good job

Building it in the basement, :)

OK so, here is what iv decided to do, because it wont fit, and because i butchered that one baffle pretty bad this is what i did.

IMG_0264.jpg

I kind of flush mounted a bottom baffle for extra support, and will be screwing the top baffle to that. Heres what it looks like. (I know i know i messed up that cut bad, thats why its on the bottom ;) )

My box doesnt fit with the top on so its not secured yet.. Im going to have to slide my box into my trunk first, then glue and screw down the top baffle and sub while its in my trunk with like 2" clearance..... awesome :D

Also, got my gains set properly using my multimeter and a 45hz test tone.

What do you think :D. Not bad for my first time. :peepwall:

This is the only way I do double baffles. I hate the way slot enclosures look with a 1.5" thick top at the port opening with a 3/4" side and bottom, call me crazy. Good job!!!

It looks great dude, can't wait to hear your first thoughts on how it sounds and how loud it can play over your old 10's!!

Im kinda curious on how your gonna screw in the top baffle and get the sub in while its in the trunk? So far its a nice start.

Hehe, its a stunt let me tell you. Ill post step by step pictures of how i need to do it. Because theres so little clearance ill be using a ratchet with a star screwdriver attachment to crank down all the screws. BTW, does anyone have suggestions as to what screws i should use to actually mount the subwoofer with?

Lookin' good! Do you plan on removing the sub more than once or twice? If not, drywall screws will probably work just fine.

predrilll your holes for your sub screws other wire you will never get the screws in

Yep, i make sure i predrill all my holes. Im not risking splitting any more wood..

IMG_0274.jpg

Alright, everything is in, and its leaking on the 'port side' outer wall, its at the back and was almost impossible to get screws into. I tried gluing it the best i could but theres a section in the center of it thats leaking. Because its in the port side im pretty lucky, later today ill use some silicone and put a bead on both the inside and outside seam and then hopefully everything will be ok.

(Leaking side, put some wood glue for now, silicone later)

IMG_0275.jpg

And a few pictures of my amps. :) (Dont slam me for my cap i know its useless)

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

Feels good to get it done. Love the PG amp.