Sign in to follow this  
MikeMartel

2004 Impala - Fi BTL 18" N2

Ok. so the first 2 days with my BTL in the car i had no back seats in. I was extremely impressed how accurate the sub sounded, hitting hard everytime the bass note changed. Im actually suprised how often this happens, listening to my old woofers it mostly sounded like 1 long tone. Anyways, other than that. It didnt really sound that much louder than my previous setup, it hit lots harder, but didnt seem as loud. This morning, i put the rear seats in my car, and holy hell. This thing is an absolute monster. :dancing: :dancing:

sweet cap

Ok. so the first 2 days with my BTL in the car i had no back seats in. I was extremely impressed how accurate the sub sounded, hitting hard everytime the bass note changed. Im actually suprised how often this happens, listening to my old woofers it mostly sounded like 1 long tone. Anyways, other than that. It didnt really sound that much louder than my previous setup, it hit lots harder, but didnt seem as loud. This morning, i put the rear seats in my car, and holy hell. This thing is an absolute monster. :dancing: :dancing:

It's amazing what acoustics can do to help and hurt either the quality of the sound you hear or the loudness of it. With the sub facing up, your port facing to the side and your back seat out you were very likely getting a fair amount of cancellation as the wave passed back and forth through the opening.

Glad to see it done and hear that you're enjoying it, I told you those 10's weren't even going to compare in output.

It's amazing what acoustics can do to help and hurt either the quality of the sound you hear or the loudness of it. With the sub facing up, your port facing to the side and your back seat out you were very likely getting a fair amount of cancellation as the wave passed back and forth through the opening.

Glad to see it done and hear that you're enjoying it, I told you those 10's weren't even going to compare in output.

Never really thought about back seats actually helping, but now that you pointed out his box orientation, I can see why cancellation is possible. Nice job on fitting an 18 in the trunk, pretty sweet!

Thanks guys, Just got back from my cottage and its awesome to see my log has gotten some more views :)

UPDATE: Going to try to get car metered at a local shop sometime soon, then based on what number i get i may be building a new box very soon... 5.5 cubes doesnt seem efficient enough for how much power im putting to it, i want more output.. i may just be thinking that the BTL can do much more then it really can do.. Not sure though. Will be posting the meter numbers as soon as i get them done :peepwall:

i bet you would need a huge amp in that little box.

See thats my problem... Im only running an AB 100.1 to begin with.. and like no electrical upgrades.. Im deffinatly going to be building a box as close to 8 cubes as i can get ASAP,

why dont you have atleast the big 3.. you need to be doing everything you can to combat low voltage.

Got my Kinetik Hc1400. Will be hooking it up in the next few days, and ill be disecting my capacitor to take out the voltmeter so i can have one upfront in my dash. Just a quick update, no pictures. Cheers. (Tryed to make a video, and the audio on my iphone didnt do any justice and was basically a waste of time)

glad you got it in and liking it :)

get more power on that thing... upgrade your battery and alt though

Edited by 10000wrms

Future upgrades will have a mechman, probably a 3rd batt and maybe something like a BC5500.. not sure.. :peepwall:

Future upgrades will have a mechman, probably a 3rd batt and maybe something like a BC5500.. not sure.. :peepwall:

You would see a benifit of the Big 3 if it has not been done.

Nice work getting that enclosure in the trunk!

Yeah well i got it in and noticed its TOO small.. Poor me, Ill be building a new one fairly soon, lots more net volume.

If you like how it sounds, why don't you keep it ?!!

The sub is firing up, but directly to the trunk opening. ot so much clearance.

Can you make a box with the sub and the port firing trough the back or through the rear seat into the cabin ?

Well see Notorious thats what ill be building, sadly my seat dont fold, BUT, im going to make it with my sub firing up, and port going up, through the rear deck of my car and make it basically the exact same as firing it directly into the cabin.