ok so i have a 1997 cavalier and in it is 2 12 inch sundown audio sa-12's, 1 saz-1500D on 1 ohm, a box that is tuned to 28ish and has about 4.5 cubes including my port. I also have a kinetik hc800 hooked up to this system. I am using a Kenwood eXcelon kdc-x395 head unit with 4 gauge wire all around and no big 3 atm. My problem is that when i have this system turned up past 30 (max is 35) on certain songs my deck will shut off and it turns my subs off too, and seems to reboot it self and then resumes playing, and i have no idea why. i dont have the volume maxed either i never go above 33 unless the songs arent very bassy, like with eminem and some other rappers with light bass. i dont have pictures to post right now but i hope to get some up soon. also i use cd's and my ipod on this deck and it shuts off either way. Can somene help me with this problem please? if you have any questions ill try to answer them as best i can.

Edited by J_dizzle

First of all, a main rule is never to play your HU on anything over 3/4 max volume. You should only be playing it at about 24 max. That could be the problem, also check and make sure your gain isnt set too high.

when its below like 26/27 its not loud at all, and it doesnt even start to get loud until 23/24, and im not sure how i would check that, i just started getting into systems and my buddy set it up for me.

i would be checking the ground connection for the headunit.

alright ill have to try checking that. anyone else have any other suggestions? the bass doesnt get noticeable untill 21 and its quite light and you cant really hear any lyrics untill 15-16+ on the volume if that makes a difference.

...One other very important thing!!! negative and positive could possibly could be backwards on the amp common thing that happens to me.

i am familiar with Alpines as they also have a range of 0-35.

When i set my Alpine up, it's set on volume 31 -3db test tones.

Not until i reach volume ~23-25 does it really start to show signs of life...

So it may be normal.

The volume control may not be linear.

i am familiar with Alpines as they also have a range of 0-35.

When i set my Alpine up, it's set on volume 31 -3db test tones.

Not until i reach volume ~23-25 does it really start to show signs of life...

So it may be normal.

The volume control may not be linear.

My Alpine is the same way, I have to go up to about 23/35 to get loud enough for me to enjoy it.

yeah thats how it is for me, i need to be at 24 atleast for there to be enough bass and treble to be a little better than stock, then at 26-29 it hits pretty satisfying, and 30-32 is awesome. im totally satisfied with this system, i just want the deck not to shut off on some of my favorite songs because they have alot of bass. i thought the spare battery would help but it doesnt seem to make a difference with the deck.

also since i cant edit my first post i forgot to ask if the excelon kdc-x395 is a good HU or is it kinda crappy? ive heard from my friend that hooked it up and who owned it previously before me said my deck was bad, and suggested a new one (because it shuts off mid song) anyone know if this is accurate? and anything about the x395?

he suggested a new head unit just because you have symptoms of a bad ground connection?

I wouldn't assume correct advice from him anymore.

i guess, cuz he was the one who set it up so he might just think its all in correctly, idk. ill have to take a look at it soonish. that would be nice if it was the problem

Edited by J_dizzle

Sounds like you don't have good door speakers, and you need to get some new ones or have them amped at least.

Decks should never be past 3/4 30+ is way too high.

I had the same problem with my Kenwood KDC-X589, never found out what happened i simply just bought a new head unit.

Sounds like you don't have good door speakers, and you need to get some new ones or have them amped at least.

Decks should never be past 3/4 30+ is way too high.

yea they are stock haha, and im not sure what having them amped means. so how should i correct that volume issue then because anything under 25 is honestly not that loud to me. so then shouldnt the volume at 24 be as loud as it is when its on like 31 or 32 then??

I had the same problem with my Kenwood KDC-X589, never found out what happened i simply just bought a new head unit.

did buying a new unit fix your problem? im contemplating bringing it back to where i bought it and trying to get a different/new one

No, your settings might have to be turned up or down depending.

If you're only turning that high for your speakers, you should invest in door speakers and amplifier for them for an almost 140 db system

did buying a new unit fix your problem? im contemplating bringing it back to where i bought it and trying to get a different/new one

Yeah that's what I ended up doing, Mine would do it randomly just shut off then come back on a few seconds later.

No, your settings might have to be turned up or down depending.

If you're only turning that high for your speakers, you should invest in door speakers and amplifier for them for an almost 140 db system

kinda confused on the tuning thing sorry, i was thinking up if my deck should play at 3/4 volume but i am not that experienced so i could be wrong. and id like to invest in some speakers for my doors, but i need to figure this deck issue out before i move on to another project. i was thinking of my next project after fixing this deck issue was to re wire my big 3 + re wire everything with 1 or 0 gauge but who lnows. and julian did getting a new hu fix the problem then?

could it be that my deck is getting too hot from having the volume up too high and is going into protect mode or something? or what if the gain is turned up some so the deck can be played at a lower volume?

Edited by J_dizzle

could it be that my deck is getting too hot from having the volume up too high and is going into protect mode or something?

ding ding ding. Does it do it at low volumes, ever?

What modes does it do it on? radio? cd? ipod?

could it be that my deck is getting too hot from having the volume up too high and is going into protect mode or something?

ding ding ding. Does it do it at low volumes, ever?

What modes does it do it on? radio? cd? ipod?

no but its not really played at a low volume ever heh. it does it on ipod and cd's thats all i listen to. if i listen to the radio its sports talk shows, i dont listen to actual music on the radio ever

i would be checking this out for starters!

actually where is this h/u grounded to? harness or a piece of steel somewhere in the car? you need to have a solid connection, for me I ran a piece of wire from my h/u all the way to my frame of my car and called it a day! ( I also have the big 3 done in 1/0)

also does it make a wine-ing noise when accelerate.

also before getting a new h/u you should get this issue sorted out because chances are when you install the newer h/u the same issue will still be present! heck for shyts and giggles just buy a bnib h/u (kenwood) and plug it in using the existing plugs(should take the same plugs so no soldering in a new plug) and what not and see if the issue is still there! if it is you have a wiring issue and you need to address this issue first and if it isn't there the h/u is screwed! and then simply return the other kenwood h/u! and tell them you didn't like how it looked! lol

i would be checking this out for starters!

actually where is this h/u grounded to? harness or a piece of steel somewhere in the car? you need to have a solid connection, for me I ran a piece of wire from my h/u all the way to my frame of my car and called it a day! ( I also have the big 3 done in 1/0)

also does it make a wine-ing noise when accelerate.

also before getting a new h/u you should get this issue sorted out because chances are when you install the newer h/u the same issue will still be present! heck for shyts and giggles just buy a bnib h/u (kenwood) and plug it in using the existing plugs(should take the same plugs so no soldering in a new plug) and what not and see if the issue is still there! if it is you have a wiring issue and you need to address this issue first and if it isn't there the h/u is screwed! and then simply return the other kenwood h/u! and tell them you didn't like how it looked! lol

alright i have it grounded to the chassis on the sidewall in my car. my buddy said he was pretty sure the ground is fine, but im going to get him to look at it again. and no it doesnt whine when i accelerate. im not sure what a bnib is. im not too worried about the hu being screwed cuz it is warrantied, but i dont really like the settings the deck has that much, kinda wish i spent more cash on a better one

he suggested a new head unit just because you have symptoms of a bad ground connection?

I wouldn't assume correct advice from him anymore.

Yeah that's what I ended up doing, Mine would do it randomly just shut off then come back on a few seconds later.

haha you got owned shizzzon.

Edited by LauGhNoWQQLaTeR