kballenger

New System

I am lookin to replace my current single Diamond D3 10 with a single or possibly two 12's but dont want to buy run of the mill subs (ie JL Rockford Alpine) and would like to explore other options. I will try to give as much info as i can.

1st - My current set up is -

Pioneer head unit - that will be replaced also

MB Quart Ref 6.25

MB Quart Onyx 4.80

Diamond D3 10

Kicker ZX1000.1

2nd - I listen to a wide range of music and perfer SQ to SPL.

3rd - Even though i have a good amount of room to use, i would prefer NOT to use the entire cargo area for a speaker box but understand i have to give to get so i am willing give up some room if needed.

4th - Budget i would like to stay in the 300 +/- range

5th - I have looked at FI - SSA - Sundown but dont know the brands but willing to try.

6th - look to install this into a 91 suburban.

I have been out of the car audio market for awhile and only really of know the common market brands. I also understand that a lot of this personal opinon and respect that fact.

If i left anything out our you need more detail let me know and be gentle.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by 91burb

Can you build a box?

If you can build your own enclosure, then Id suggest a Fi Bl 12" or 15" running off your current amp (im assuming its around 1000wrms).

yes, i will be building my on box

MTX ZX1000.1? Google search came up empty. What is the rated power?

suppose to be 1000 watts at a 2 ohm load, sorry had a brain fart its a Kicker ZX 1000.1

You know how it is, all responses will be very opinionated. I would go with whatever you can find the best deal on. Sundown is having a sale on SSA, might be a good deal. Here's a link. I've also heard very good things about the Skar VVXs. Here's a link.

If that doesn't suit you, I'd look for some used SSA ICONs, Fi Qs, etc. Like I said, whatever you can find, as long as it's a reputable company.

Before anyone recommends anything it'd be good to know what you don't like about what you currently have or what could be improved. Otherwise you are just going to either get subjective responses of what people have or people e-gurgitating things they've read.

I've also heard very good things about the Skar VVXs.

From a bunch of weasels with internet boners. Far from a good solution for this guys needs from what he has told us. I'd rather have the D3.

Well thats kinda my problem, i have only heard the FI's on you tube and never heard of SSA or Sundown or Skar. i know that i will be making the final call but looking for that push. I sure you have been there.

thanks,

Well thats kinda my problem, i have only heard the FI's on you tube and never heard of SSA or Sundown or Skar. i know that i will be making the final call but looking for that push. I sure you have been there.

thanks,

Umm, not at all what I said. What about this setup:

MB Quart Ref 6.25

MB Quart Onyx 4.80

Diamond D3 10

Kicker ZX1000.1

Would you like to improve and why. Without that info it is really hard to make recommendations which you already saw as someone was asking you to take a step back...

You shouldnt be so quick to rule out big brand name equipment. I had a SSA XCON 15" powered by 2000wrms. I had the XCON in a 4^3ft enclosure tuned to 32hz. It was a large box for the trunk of my sedan. Now I have a JL Audio 13w6 powered by 600wrms in a 2.1^3ft enclosure tuned to 31hz. The JL sounds better than the XCON and is very efficient. The JL is in an enclosure half the size of the XCON, I have my trunk back :) The XCON was over all louder (not by much) but the XCON was more cone area and three times the power.

Think about your goals and budget.

/// M5

Sorry about that but i was hitting burko back and your post slipped in there when i wasnt looking. I am pretty happy with the SQ of the D10 but looking to go louder and lower. This switch in subs was always in the plans but was supposed to be done later. The ZX was part of a recent trade and now seems to be a good time. I am looking for sound quality and open to all suggestions.

You shouldnt be so quick to rule out big brand name equipment. I had a SSA XCON 15" powered by 2000wrms. I had the XCON in a 4^3ft enclosure tuned to 32hz. It was a large box for the trunk of my sedan. Now I have a JL Audio 13w6 powered by 600wrms in a 2.1^3ft enclosure tuned to 31hz. The JL sounds better than the XCON and is very efficient. The JL is in an enclosure half the size of the XCON, I have my trunk back :) The XCON was over all louder (not by much) but the XCON was more cone area and three times the power.

Agree, i was planning on getting a single Diamond D6 12 and almost did until i started looking at different sites and second guessing myself. i then started looking at JL 13w7 and 12w6's along with Rockford's P3 and T series and Orion HCCA all brands i have used in the past but just want to step outside the box and get something nobody else has kinda thing.

Agree, i was planning on getting a single Diamond D6 12 and almost did until i started looking at different sites and second guessing myself. i then started looking at JL 13w7 and 12w6's along with Rockford's P3 and T series and Orion HCCA all brands i have used in the past but just want to step outside the box and get something nobody else has kinda thing.

For an SQ setup I highly recommend the 13w6. Excellent driver. I bought mine for a little over $300 shipped. Contact Ryan at Ram Designs for an enclosure. He designed mine. The JL Audio spec enclosures are small higher tuned enclosures, there are better designs.

If you want a great mix of SQ and the ability to get crazy loud go with he SA series from Sundown. The SA are one sale right now at a killer price. IMO the SA from Sundown has no competition at that price. You could buy two Sundown SA 12" for the price of one 13w6. Sundown has a strong SPL crowd following. I have seen reviews and setups where the SA and Z series have been praised for their SQ abilities as well.

Thanks - edouble101

I will look into the Sundowns.

everybody can have his own opinion.

Don't forget the SSA subs. With the power you have, you can run an Icon or even an Xcon. You'll love it . you seem to want loud and sound good : the xcon can be a very good choice.

But I don't know nothing about the Diamond subs. I can't compare.

Good luck !!!

Based on your comments (not your request) I don't think the w6 is at all right for you. You want louder and lower and haven't discussed the front stage which means to me SQ isn't important. You just want a louder sub that doesn't make things sound worse. That is easy and sure the w6 can do some of it, but that isn't its forte.

Have you thought about re-building a new enclosure to achieve what you're looking for in your sub stage? Larger enclosure and lower tuning?

I agree with M5 here. There's no need to bust your budget on a sub that's not going to really shine for what you want.

I would like to throw out a recommendation on either a pair of 10" SSA DCON's or the Fi X series subs. A pair of 10's should really help your appetite for more output over the single, not take up a great deal more room and they are well known for being very impressive for both output and their ability to sound good. My sister's single 12" DCON surpassed my expectations to the point that if I had to trade my pair of 12" Q's for her single DCON I would not be afraid to do so. I would take a little hit in output but not enough to bother me any at all and it sounds every bit as good as the Q's.

Just my .02 for a seemingly budget, space, and sound fitting solution.

Based on your comments (not your request) I don't think the w6 is at all right for you. You want louder and lower and haven't discussed the front stage which means to me SQ isn't important. You just want a louder sub that doesn't make things sound worse. That is easy and sure the w6 can do some of it, but that isn't its forte.

My front stage is fine. I have 2 sets of the MB Quart Onyx 6.5 components on the four channel MB Quart Onyx amp and very happy with the quaility and output of my front stage, which is the reason for wanting to "up grade" the sub. If my front and rear stage was a concern i would have asked for suggestions on how to handle. I was settled in my decesion with the Diamond D6 12 with a Diamond 600 to 1000 watt amp to provide power until I aquired the ZX 1000 my plans changed and so did my thought process as to which sub/subs i would get. I am of the age where SPL is not a concern and SQ is.

i also think a single sub would fine for me but my questions was to which as their are several brands that were not in the market 10 or 20 years ago and did not want to purchase a major brand with out exploring some of the less popular quality brands. i am not stuck on a brand but just looking for suggestions. i would prefer a single but not opposed to a dual set up.

I personally just purchased a 13w7 and I'm satisfied with the results. Previously, I had a 12w7 in the JL High-Output box and I loved that sound, but I can tell a good bit of difference between the 12 & 13.5.

edouble101- I'm not sure about the higher tuning part..My box for my 13w7 was made to JL specs and it is tuned into the low 30-32hz, even JLs site says the boxes should be tuned to 32 hz. Just my observation though, not trying to call anyone out.

But as far as other brands, I've read good things about FI's Q series. Maybe look into getting one 15 inch sub?

Edited by 420centraltime

I personally just purchased a 13w7 and I'm satisfied with the results. Previously, I had a 12w7 in the JL High-Output box and I loved that sound, but I can tell a good bit of difference between the 12 & 13.5.

edouble101- I'm not sure about the higher tuning part..My box for my 13w7 was made to JL specs and it is tuned into the low 30-32hz, even JLs site says the boxes should be tuned to 32 hz. Just my observation though, not trying to call anyone out.

But as far as other brands, I've read good things about FI's Q series. Maybe look into getting one 15 inch sub?

I was referring to the W6. I though that was easily identified in my post. The JL site recommends 34.5hz for tuning on the W6 in a 1.875^3ft nest enclosure. I am running mine in a 2.1^3ft tuned to 31hz. Yes the tune is only a couple hz difference but the overall system efficiency and fr are better than JL specs IMO, which was my point.

The W7 is a completely different beast.

Its mostly in the enclosure..

A w6/7 can sound bad in a poorly built enclosure.

Jensen can sound great in a well built one..

Pick a sub, build a good box and you should be pleased. Crossovers and equalizers can help making SQ better too.

Its mostly in the enclosure..

A w6/7 can sound bad in a poorly built enclosure.

Jensen can sound great in a well built one..

Pick a sub, build a good box and you should be pleased. Crossovers and equalizers can help making SQ better too.

ending getting 2 sundown SA12 and waiting on the enclosure, but i believe i will use the dual ported enclosure for a SSA xcon which is a 4 cu ft box touned to 30 hertz. looking forward to hearing them soon!