TheWhiteDemon

15" Lethal Injections

So I bought 2 Incriminator Audio 15" Lethal Injection subs during the Black and Blue Sale and they just got installed today. I'm going to write this review today and update it after the subs are broken in and I've heard them for a few weeks.

The Setup:

- Sealed box - 1.7 cubic feet per sub

- 1500 watt MB Quart amp tuned to about 1200 watts.

- In the trunk of my 2010 ecoboosted MKS

Music Tested so far:

- Brotha Lynch Hung - Siccmade

- Hollow Tip - Hoo Ride Attack

- Chingo Bling - Rancho En McCallen

- The Game - It's Okay

- Hed PE - Raise Hell

- Deftones - Shove It

- Scary Kids Scaring Kids - The Deep End

- Slipknot - Wait and Bleed

Initial Impressions:

Keep in mind that I'm really picky about subwoofers and I have different qualifications for what a "good" sub is than most. So far it's been a mixed bag with the LIs. On the plus side they have a really quick attack time and I'm pleased with how crisp sounding they are and how well they do on rock songs. The long bass riffs on Shove It play very well and the subs have no problem at all separating the kick drums on Wait and Bleed. Also, rap with higher basslines like Rancho En McCallen play VERY loudly and with a lot of authority.

On the negative side, the LIs don't play low frequencies with as much authority as I'd like. I often read posts on car audio forums where people say a certain sub "hit the low notes" but I never really believe they listen to low frequencies. Siccmade has a long bassline that drops down to 20 hz at the end. Very few subwoofers I've owned actually hit the low side of this bassline and the ones that do usually can't do it with any authority. The LIs hit the note but not with much authority. Same story on Hoo Ride Attack. I think that this will get a bit better over time after the subs are broken in, but they definitely have their range and the sub 24 hz frequencies are not their sweet spot. I was afraid of this going in since the FS on these subs are above 27 hz, but I took the chance anyway.

Overall I'm satisfied at this point. These aren't the best subs I've ever owned, but they are good subs, and the level they play at with only 600 RMS (the way a real sub should be engineered) is very impressive. For the price I paid during the Black and Blue sale it would be hard to match what you get out of these subs. At regular price though, I think I'd spend just slightly more and go with the new Earthquake Magmas or the JBL Mk IIIs.

I'll update in a week or two.

Nice!! ... you sure your amplifier settings are good??? what is your SSF set to??? is it on??? just curious....

Yeah, amp is set correctly. My Sub Sonic is at 18 hz. One other thing I've noticed about the LIs is that they have very consistent and good output at both low and high volumes. Some subs I've owned play very quietly unless turned up fairly loud, but the LIs do very nicely at lower volumes as well.

I am not familiar with the music you selected for this review. Regardless, good job and thanks.

As far as your setup not hitting the "lows", did you look at the system f3 before you built your enclosures? Depending on your desired system qts you can vary enclosure size to reduce the f3, possibly hitting the "lows" better. I would assume the fr is nice and flat that is why you are not experiencing annoying dips and peaks. A lower f3 may take away from that, too bad we can't have it all.

I used to own a 12" lethal injection and it didn't "hit the lows" until I put it in a ported enclosure. If you can find the room to port those subs, they will come alive on the lows.

I used to own a 12" lethal injection and it didn't "hit the lows" until I put it in a ported enclosure. If you can find the room to port those subs, they will come alive on the lows.

You might be right, but I will never put a ported setup in any of my rides.

I just ordered a LI 12 that is going in a 1.39 cu box sealed , I hope it to perform as well or better than my current set up, I have been waiting a while and I am ready to get here! I also have 2 sets of the 6.5 comps and the 6.4 IA amp on the way I will post review when I get it all in

I just ordered a LI 12 that is going in a 1.39 cu box sealed , I hope it to perform as well or better than my current set up, I have been waiting a while and I am ready to get here! I also have 2 sets of the 6.5 comps and the 6.4 IA amp on the way I will post review when I get it all in

Nice setup!

Well it's been a couple weeks now and I would say the subs are likely broken in at this point. As I expected, the low end has gotten slightly better with more play. I really love these subs on so many different kinds of music, but overall I guess I listen to too much rap with sub 25 hz basslines and I have decided to upgrade to the JBL GTI MK IIs. The LIs are now on ebay.

Edited by TheWhiteDemon

They are a nice performance value. :)

Well it's been a couple weeks now and I would say the subs are likely broken in at this point. As I expected, the low end has gotten slightly better with more play. I really love these subs on so many different kinds of music, but overall I guess I listen to too much rap with sub 25 hz basslines and I have decided to upgrade to the JBL GTI MK IIs. The LIs are now on ebay.

Did you try a larger sealed box first?? That would lower the tuning.

Did you try a larger sealed box first?? That would lower the tuning.

Yeah, I just don't have the room.

Why do you make that statement?

I have never heard a ported application that I liked (including ones I've built for my friends, and one's I've paid lots of money for on a custom build). Ported applications just don't match sealed applications for range and sound quality in my opinion.

I have never heard a ported application that I liked (including ones I've built for my friends, and one's I've paid lots of money for on a custom build). Ported applications just don't match sealed applications for range and sound quality in my opinion.

plus 1 for sticking to your likes.. I somewhat feel the same way, I had a ported enclosure twice in my life... They had tremendous output over the sealed off a 500w amplifier but the limited range and other items you have to be more specific/calculated are not what I think I wanna do... I'd rather do a high power sealed application ... Might run 1500w to my Xcon and see if there is a difference... :attempt:

If you ever get a chance, I would HIGHLY recommend a bandpass type enclosure. The range and out of them is almost unrivaled.

If you ever get a chance, I would HIGHLY recommend a bandpass type enclosure. The range and out of them is almost unrivaled.

Never had a bandpass myself, but I have read that the sound quality out of them can be amazing.

Perhaps check the settings on your amp dude

I dont like my 4th orderBP

The stupid thing play so loud it hurts my ears and for the first time ever I am turning the volume down and the lows are breaking things in my car and all of a sudden I have developed new rattles. This is on half the woofers on double the impedance which effectively means its half the power as well. This from a guy who wanted to replace two 12"s with a 18...no more please make it stop.