ch33zy

Amp help

So I just recently ordered a fully loaded Fi Q 15" and now I need to decide on an amplifier. I'm thinking either a Hifonics HFi2000D or a Hifonics Brutus BRZ2400.1D. I will be running them at 1 ohm. Do you think 2400 watts rms is too much for a fully loaded Q? I think it should be okay, but I would like to hear some other opinions.

Edited by ch33zy

In further research I found that the HFi2000D is one ohm stable as well. I want to get the most power out of my woofer, which is why I'm going with one of these two amps rather than a 1000-1200 rated one.

I definitely suggest staying around 1500 rms and not exceeding the rating too much. Do you know that it takes (in theory) double power to notice a difference in output? If you exceed its rated power to then you no longer have any room for abuse handling (installation error, clipping etc...). Its nice to have a little headroom for your woofer in case of a fuck up, you see what i mean?

So I just recently ordered a fully loaded Fi Q 15" and now I need to decide on an amplifier. I'm thinking either a Hifonics HFi2000D or a Hifonics Brutus BRZ2400.1D. I will be running them at 1 ohm. Do you think 2400 watts rms is too much for a fully loaded Q? I think it should be okay, but I would like to hear some other opinions.

If you have to ask then yes it is, how much are you willing to spend?

If you have to ask then yes it is, how much are you willing to spend?

I would like to stay in the 200-300 dollar range.

Why buy an SQ driver only to wanna push that much shitty power to it? :suicide-santa:

Why buy an SQ driver only to wanna push that much shitty power to it? :suicide-santa:

Because I would like SQ and power, since it is fully loaded I feel that 2000 watts would be a safe amount for the speaker to handle.

Because I would like SQ and power, since it is fully loaded I feel that 2000 watts would be a safe amount for the speaker to handle.

I think you are wrong.

You can use the amp (check)

You can not use the full power (check)

I suspect at full tilt that amp will not put out clean power (Double fail)

For the record I am completely open to buying an amp that puts out less power. I'm just looking for some input on my thoughts which is why I created this post in the first place.

Don't put 2Kw on a Q, fully loaded or not. You have a gain knob for a reason, use it.

1. It couldn't do 2000 watts, not even if it wanted to.

2. You clearly don't know what SQ is, so your wasting that driver.

3. And if you have to ask these questions, then sending over rated rms to speaker is probably a bad idea.

Not sure If I can do this here, but since its partner related.

In or very close to your budget, perhaps not the best option for a SQ driver but a very good match for your budget and what it sounds like you want to achieve.

Refurb

New

I decided to get the refurbished Sundown Audio SAX-1200D from dB-r. I felt that $180 for that amp was too good of a deal to pass up. Thanks Punkeyboozter and to the rest that helped me with my decision.

I decided to get the refurbished Sundown Audio SAX-1200D from dB-r. I felt that $180 for that amp was too good of a deal to pass up. Thanks Punkeyboozter and to the rest that helped me with my decision.

The SAX 1200d is an awesome amp and a little underrated you'll love it. I love mine

I have been using 2 FI Q 15" since 1.5 years. Only the cooling option is added and i am running them on two Hifonics BRZ 2100.1D giving them a total of 4200 RMS all day long and they work fine.. And these are the subs with the old motor wherein the stock was used to be rated at 1000 RMS..

Dont go for Hifonics HFI series they are crap.. Brutus series is good.

I have been using 2 FI Q 15" since 1.5 years. Only the cooling option is added and i am running them on two Hifonics BRZ 2100.1D giving them a total of 4200 RMS all day long and they work fine.. And these are the subs with the old motor wherein the stock was used to be rated at 1000 RMS..

Putting over rated power is obviously working fine for you, but it will not work for everyone because not everyones set up is the same. Factors such as enclosure size play a role i power handling. Just trying to clarify so someone doesnt come in here and say "hey it works for him it will work for me" then they wonder why their woofer blows.

excellent choice

Those Qs are never seeing 2100 watts each, much less "all day long"

I should have everything I need by around christmas time. I'll be sure to post some pictures of the install.

I understand that. Its because of the box rise/ impedance rise which is unavoidable and depends on a lot of factors..Apart from that if you are trying to say amplifier is over-rated, It would be a lot better that you try it yourself and then u'll get to know

I understand that. Its because of the box rise/ impedance rise which is unavoidable and depends on a lot of factors..Apart from that if you are trying to say amplifier is over-rated, It would be a lot better that you try it yourself and then u'll get to know

What is this, 'impedance rise' you speak of?