pmureika

Icon vs Xcon

Will the Xcon sound better?

It's all about the enclosure. I'm sure it will sound fantastic. I know my ZCON's sound great.

D C Creations built the enclousure.

All Your Bass Are Belong To TeamRamRod.

He'll tell you

All Your Bass Are Belong To TeamRamRod.

He'll tell you

Can you recommend a spl meter? But back to the thread will the xcon sound better?

I've had a few icons and xcons. All in different enclosure alignments, no way to give a fair comparison. I would be extremely hard pressed to simply say one driver sounds better then the other.

I've had a few icons and xcons. All in different enclosure alignments, no way to give a fair comparison. I would be extremely hard pressed to simply say one driver sounds better then the other.

I understand. I just thought with the better xmax it would.

Both are sound quality built drivers, XCON handles more power.

I know I will be giving it more power from A skar 1500d. I just thought I would try the skar.

I understand. I just thought with the better xmax it would.

I don't know why you would correlate xmax to sq.

If anything, you want the driver to move the least amount as possible, the further it's in the stroke, greater chance of distortion, although it's probably unlikely to be audible, especially in this spectrum.

I know I will be giving it more power from A skar 1500d. I just thought I would try the skar.

Worried about SQ, and buying one of the cheapest amplifiers?

No I was told the Xcon would sound better.As far as the amp I plan on giving it a fair shot.

I have both the Icon and Xcon as well and I'm not able to determine which sounds better. Even with both hooked up playin one after the other, it's pretty difficult to choose which one is better as far as SQ goes.

x2

Both sound excellent in proper enclosures.

Sound quality is very biased to personal tastes. Buy the driver that is within your budget, power requirement and fits your enclosure limitations.

Sound quality is very biased to personal tastes. Buy the driver that is within your budget, power requirement and fits your enclosure limitations.

Great advice

couldnt have said it better :fing34:

In one of the videos, SSA says the Icon sounds better. I think it was the video with the Chevy truck and 2 x 18"s Xcons is where I read that post.

I dunno if this will really help or not, but it might put it into perspective a little. This is a quote from a conversation I had with Aaron a little while back....

Aaron Clinton

The Xcon has it's own sound. The Icon is very full and smooth with a heavy low end. Lot's of grins from daily listening. The Xcon on the other hand, is a little lighter on it's feet, little more pin point accuracy with collapse the chest pressure.

5:49AM

Alton

oooooooo...... can't wait.... I'm glad I sold the SA-8's and went for the XCON.....

5:50AM

Aaron Clinton

Think of it in terms of heavy weaponry, the Icon being the bomb that is dropped far away and hits you with the shockwave, and the Xcon is the guided missile to the chrome dome.

I really like the perspective it gives anyway... but then I might be a little biased since I did buy an XCON myself.... lol

I dunno if this will really help or not, but it might put it into perspective a little. This is a quote from a conversation I had with Aaron a little while back....

Aaron Clinton

The Xcon has it's own sound. The Icon is very full and smooth with a heavy low end. Lot's of grins from daily listening. The Xcon on the other hand, is a little lighter on it's feet, little more pin point accuracy with collapse the chest pressure.

Alton

oooooooo...... can't wait.... I'm glad I sold the SA-8's and went for the XCON.....

Aaron Clinton

Think of it in terms of heavy weaponry, the Icon being the bomb that is dropped far away and hits you with the shockwave, and the Xcon is the guided missile to the chrome dome.

I really like the perspective it gives anyway... but then I might be a little biased since I did buy an XCON myself.... lol

haha, an epic conversation I would say.

Man I really love the way my icon sounds. But then again, i also love the way my zcon sounds. I'm no sq guru by any stretch. but for me. The icon was, really sharp, sounded amazing, the reproduction of the bass is what really got me. Like a heavy hitter being agile. But the zcon, oh man, you feel when the bass hits your entire surrounding. The Icon, had this like, off into the distance kind of feel, but the zcon makes you feel as if your in the path of its wavelenghts, if that makes sense. idk, I don't think you could go wrong either way.

All this talk makes me want one lol.

Aaron Clinton

Alton

Aaron Clinton

haha, an epic conversation I would say.

Man I really love the way my icon sounds. But then again, i also love the way my zcon sounds. I'm no sq guru by any stretch. but for me. The icon was, really sharp, sounded amazing, the reproduction of the bass is what really got me. Like a heavy hitter being agile. But the zcon, oh man, you feel when the bass hits your entire surrounding. The Icon, had this like, off into the distance kind of feel, but the zcon makes you feel as if your in the path of its wavelenghts, if that makes sense. idk, I don't think you could go wrong either way.

:)

For every day use I liked the Icon on a AQ1200 amp. For loudness the xcon won on a Skar1500d. The Icon needed less electrical. Sound wise about the same except for spl the xcon was 7db louder.

I had both on the same amp and in the same box, same car. Both are great drivers. But if you have the money, get the Xcon. You already have enough power.