Sencheezy

Commercial Cable in Car Audio?

Hello,

I have a simple question and was wondering if anybody has tried or seen this done before and thoughts on it. Its been on my mind ever since seeing it at my last job. This kind of cable is not nearly has flexible, I understand that part, but instead of smaller strands of threaded copper this kind of cableing is like, really think copper which is why I even ask. Since it is made up of thicker copper, then I would assume that it would be able to carry more current than normal cableing we see in most car audio applications. While upgrading my electrical, I was just wondering if this would be a logical move or should there be any reasons to steer away from it. My initials plans was to order 50ft of 4/0 from weldingsupply.com which comes out to be $272.84. If I order from ebay though I can get 60ft of this commercial cable for $252.00 I also have the option to order by the foot, which would be most likely what I would do since I doubt I could make a run from under the hood to the battery bank limited by the flexiblity of this material. But for the connection from battery A to battery B and C, I believe this would be a great idea. Here at my current work place, inside the UPS room, they have this setup and is exactly what I would like to try to do. Here are some pictures and links for people to get a better understanding of the brainstorming I have been doing.

IMG_20120215_034544.jpg

IMG_20120215_034553.jpg

IMG_20120215_034614.jpg

I can also get a set of 20pk of those terminals as well. Below you will find links that I would purchase from.

4/0 XHHW That I would order by the foot

60' 4/0 AWG THHN Drawn Bare Copper Wire THWN Cable

THHN # 4/0 awg Copper electrical wire CUT TO LENGTH

20 New BURNDY YA28 Hylug 4/0 awg LUGs LONG 1/2" STUD thhn xhhw copper wire crimp

Thoughts?

You'll be perfectly fine with that wire even with a lower wire count and less flexibility you will still get the power to where it is needed, to me the biggest factor in any wire is the jacket that protects it from the elements and from any kind of fluid it may come in contact with. I stay as far away from the car audio wire as i possibly can cause of the pvc jacket covering it cause simply put if it can be rubbed through and squeezed so easily than that is something i am not willing to put under the hood of my car.

You'll be perfectly fine with that wire even with a lower wire count and less flexibility you will still get the power to where it is needed, to me the biggest factor in any wire is the jacket that protects it from the elements and from any kind of fluid it may come in contact with. I stay as far away from the car audio wire as i possibly can cause of the pvc jacket covering it cause simply put if it can be rubbed through and squeezed so easily than that is something i am not willing to put under the hood of my car.

Good perspective.

You can safely buy and use this wire, BUT, you will need a pipe bender and a gorilla to bend it and . It is NOT fllexible at all. It would be equivalent to attemping to run a large copper pipe. You will not be able to manipulate this cable to the confines of an automobile. The insulation is also far from ideal for automotive use. It is thinner and harder and can scratch, break, and crack with the temperature extremes in the auto world. Trust me, I have worked with this stuff my entire life.

IF you want to cheapen out, look for DLO or Diesel Locomotive Cable. IT is multi-stranded like welding cable with a very tough and flexible jacket. It's not as flexible as car-audio spec, or welding cable, but it can be cheaper and will work.

You can safely buy and use this wire, BUT, you will need a pipe bender and a gorilla to bend it and . It is NOT fllexible at all. It would be equivalent to attemping to run a large copper pipe. You will not be able to manipulate this cable to the confines of an automobile. The insulation is also far from ideal for automotive use. It is thinner and harder and can scratch, break, and crack with the temperature extremes in the auto world. Trust me, I have worked with this stuff my entire life.

IF you want to cheapen out, look for DLO or Diesel Locomotive Cable. IT is multi-stranded like welding cable with a very tough and flexible jacket. It's not as flexible as car-audio spec, or welding cable, but it can be cheaper and will work.

Thank you very much for the insight. Yeah I kind of already rulled out using it for anything outside of connecting the multiple batteries I will be running. I will look into your suggestions for sure.

That DLO wire looks nice but not much less than welding supply.com wire.... But possibly more durable jacket from the photos I see... Anyway, they most I think I'll need it 2/0 wire for my application sooo ... no worries.

Guys, go to Lowes or HD or your local electrical supply and look at this cable. Try to bend it and you will never think of buying it.

Guys, go to Lowes or HD or your local electrical supply and look at this cable. Try to bend it and you will never think of buying it.

I'm not interested in buying this DLO it was just something to look at... lol

I'm always gonna go with weldingsupply.com ... No sense in going anywhere else unless they jack their shyt up .. :morepower1:

I'd say steal some batteries... or see if your work can get you them with their discount!

I'd say steal some batteries... or see if your work can get you them with their discount!

Lol I'm sure they wouldn't notice until our power generator went out :peepwall:

I bet they could get you a discount on C&D batteries.

thicker strands doesn't mean it will carry more current.

You want the maximum amount of copper you can get per wire, so in theory, more smaller stands will fill in the allotted area better.

And that wire is not flexible at all, and like stated above is not suited for CA use.

haha, I doubt it, thoze are some big bitches tho many lol, like 110lbs each

You want the maximum amount of copper you can get per wire, so in theory, more smaller stands will fill in the allotted area better.

And that wire is not flexible at all, and like stated above is not suited for CA use.

Hmmmm, thanks for the insight, I guess I will steer away from this idea. Again, I was just curious is all. And I was thinking the thicker the copper than more current can be traveled but, thanks for informing me.

Hmmmm, thanks for the insight, I guess I will steer away from this idea. Again, I was just curious is all. And I was thinking the thicker the copper than more current can be traveled but, thanks for informing me.

we're all here to learn :)

we're all here to learn :)

:drink40: