mikebingham34

Skar IVX 15 or SSA Dcon 15?

This is my second time writing this because my *DELL* laptops monitor just blacked out... haha. Alright, so I am looking for a 15 that is under 180 bones, has good SQ, but will get louder than my sealed Rockford P2 12. I plan on porting whatever I get at 30Hz. I really love the low lows. I have an amp that puts out 500w @ 2ohms. I was choosing between 4 different subs that could fit my description. Obsidian 15, Sundown E-15, Skar IVX 15, and SSA Dcon 15. Whatever I get, it will be a D4. I change my mind a lot, but I am going to look past the OA-15 because I won't be able to power it sufficiently, and I am also looking past the Sundown E-15 because (from what I read on here, and other forums) it won't handle the lows like I would want it to. Right now I am leaning toward the Skar. I'd like the rubber surround. I just don't have enough info about either of these subs to make a decision. I want to assume the Skar will get near the loudness of the Sundown (just based off the fact that they look so close). I know the SSA Dcon 12's get rave reviews, but (according to reviews) arent as loud on the way lows like I want. I want to know if they will be on the 15 inch version. I know for a fact (again, based on someone elses comparison) that the Skar IVX can keep up with its own VVX, and even sounds a bit better. I also heard that they are low end monsters. It's just a matter of how loud they can get... If there is anything I missed, or anything that makes me sound like an idiot, I apologize haha. Thanks for any help I can get!

You don't need near the driver's rms power to "properly" power it. That being said, I wouldn't throw the OA-15 because of that. As far as the driver, can't help you there.

Don't consider one's comparison fair, and certainly not a "fact."

Looks don't mean much.

You could download WinISD, and model all the drivers in various enclosure alignments, of course people will argue this is worthless since the frequency response changes from open space to a vehicle, but I believe it still gives a good baseline. Certainly better then taking one's word for it: "This subwoofer pounds the lows."

The enclosure alignment and it's quality will play a huge factor. With that being said, you could put a zcon in a terrible enclosure, and it could sound like shit and be quiet. Therefore zcons sound like shit and aren't loud?

very true. and yeah i have winisd, but just haven't gotten around to plugging everything in. it would help a bit because i can put 500w for all the subs an get a gen idea of which will be louder. and yeah, i know the enclosure means a lot. i always put TONS of time into planning the boxes. and sorry for the wording of "fact" on the guys opinion, I guess i wasnt thinking because I was too excited for answers lol. and i might still consider the OA because Nick clamped a proto 18 (same coils as the 15) and pulled a 139.9 on 240ish watts. so I guess i can figure a 15 on 500w should fare pretty well. and as we all know that is an extremely rough estimate because like you said, it all depends on the enclosure, and car its in. thanks for the help mane!

This is my second time writing this because my *DELL* laptops monitor just blacked out... haha. Alright, so I am looking for a 15 that is under 180 bones, has good SQ, but will get louder than my sealed Rockford P2 12. I plan on porting whatever I get at 30Hz. I really love the low lows. I have an amp that puts out 500w @ 2ohms. I was choosing between 4 different subs that could fit my description. Obsidian 15, Sundown E-15, Skar IVX 15, and SSA Dcon 15. Whatever I get, it will be a D4. I change my mind a lot, but I am going to look past the OA-15 because I won't be able to power it sufficiently, and I am also looking past the Sundown E-15 because (from what I read on here, and other forums) it won't handle the lows like I would want it to. Right now I am leaning toward the Skar. I'd like the rubber surround. I just don't have enough info about either of these subs to make a decision. I want to assume the Skar will get near the loudness of the Sundown (just based off the fact that they look so close). I know the SSA Dcon 12's get rave reviews, but (according to reviews) arent as loud on the way lows like I want. I want to know if they will be on the 15 inch version. I know for a fact (again, based on someone elses comparison) that the Skar IVX can keep up with its own VVX, and even sounds a bit better. I also heard that they are low end monsters. It's just a matter of how loud they can get... If there is anything I missed, or anything that makes me sound like an idiot, I apologize haha. Thanks for any help I can get!

Whoever wrote that the E series doesn't handle the lows is full of shit. They actually shine on the lows in a properly designed and build ported enclosure.

Actually all the choices you have listed are all good drivers. It just comes down to installation.

My choice is is the DCON. I love my 10" and it has amazing sq.

Just axe the skar off your list and its fine.

haha, now im between the sundown and the dcon... i just wanna know how low the dcon really digs.

With a shovel?

DCONS dig low ... And not with a shovel either lol.

With a shovel?

whaaaat???

I'd go with the Dcon and support America's economy... :-)

With a shovel?

whaaaat???

Idk... for ~80$ more I would just get the Gcon...

With a shovel?

whaaaat???

Idk... for ~80$ more I would just get the Gcon...

I'd say that was a good answer if we knew pricing, unless I missed the leak?!?!?! Cuz I could def go for like 2 -12" setup when I get a new job....

I installed a setup with a 10' Dcon on a 300 watt kicker amp in a box tuned to 30 hz. It "dug" the lowes quite nicely. My vote is either the Dcon or the OA.

One thing not mentioned in the topic, is that the "digging" or the "low low's" are heavily effected by the enclosure.

Get low, Get low, Get Low, Get Low,

To the window, to the wall,

'Til the sweat drop down my....

DCON

looking back, great responses guys, thanks a bunch

Dcon do I need to say more.