edouble101

WeldingSupply 2/0 vs car audio brand 1/0

Does anybody have a size comparison of weldingsupply 2/0 and car audio brand 1/0? I would like to see a size comparison with calipers or just a picture side by side would be good :)

I will see if I can get one Monday if some one does not have it posted by then. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure on the strand count difference though.

I will see if I can get one Monday if some one does not have it posted by then. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure on the strand count difference though.

Thanks

Jacket wise they are the same and depending on the car audio wire it has more strands since its not pure copper. Knukonceptz 1/0 wire gives you more trouble getting into a 1/0 lug than 2/0 welding cable, just from my experience with the two.

Edited by jay-cee

What do you mean it's not pure copper? Either it's copper or it's not. There are copper alloys used in construction, but not electrical wiring.

2/0 will be about the same size as "Car Audio" CCA wire... not to say it will conduct less. It will conduct even more since its pure copper.

2/0 will be about the same size as "Car Audio" CCA wire... not to say it will conduct less. It will conduct even more since its pure copper.

+1

Also you will be surprised how flexible it is too.

What do you mean it's not pure copper? Either it's copper or it's not. There are copper alloys used in construction, but not electrical wiring.

The same as saying Genuine Leather, either its leather or its not.

Jacket wise they are the same and depending on the car audio wire it has more strands since its not pure copper. Knukonceptz 1/0 wire gives you more trouble getting into a 1/0 lug than 2/0 welding cable, just from my experience with the two.

What do you mean it's not pure copper?  Either it's copper or it's not.  There are copper alloys used in construction, but not electrical wiring.

I was questioning your post above about the "it has more strands since it's not pure copper." What do you mean here?

Thanks for the info guys!

I currently have 2 runs, one pos and one neg, of Stinger HPM. I was thinking about replacing it with 2/0 welding supply cable but it looks like just adding another 2 runs (1 pos, 1 neg) of welding supply 2/0 would be best.

I was questioning your post above about the "it has more strands since it's not pure copper." What do you mean here?

I can't speak for him, but I think that he meant: Because a lot of car audio wiring is CCA, some better brands are oversized with more strands because there's less copper than comparable OFC wire, whether it be for car audio or welding cable. Basically, he's saying they're making up for having less copper by adding more CCA strands.

Generally, I can't say I agree. Although I think knu CCA is oversized compared to AWG standards.

Actually, CCA is a very small portion of the 12V market.

Stinger HPM 1/0 conductor size is larger than 1/0 welding cable by a noticeable amount. Id go as far to say 2/0 welding cable would more closely match Stinger, Kicker, and Knu's 1/0 cable. Im talking copper vs copper not that retarded cca stuff.

According to Knu's tech spec, the Kolossus 1/0 cable is equal to 2/0.

According to Knu's tech spec, the Kolossus 1/0 cable is equal to 2/0.

Id have to agree with there statement.

get some weldingsupply 4/0 cable

/done

Basically depending on the car audio wire your comparing it to some of it is not copper, cca being an example.

When using welding cable be careful, the strands will prick your fingers unlike car audio wire.

Edited by jay-cee

some CA companies do silver tinning, which will amount to better conductivity. Kicker hyperflex, the new HPM wire just to name a couple.

It would not be worth replacing the hpm wire, but adding to it would be better

KNU Kolossus is definitely larger than just about all car audio 1/0. I have been using HPM and I do have about 20ft laying around so that is what I will stick with. If I was going to replace it it looks like welding 3/0 cable or KNU Kolossus would be better. Depends on cost at that point.

Thanks for all of the replys!

Basically depending on the car audio wire your comparing it to some of it is not copper, cca being an example.

When using welding cable be careful, the strands will prick your fingers unlike car audio wire.

I was reading your post as though you were indicating copper wire was not pure copper. Now that see you were speaking of CCA, the post makes sense.

No problem, I should of clarified better. Honestly out of the three brands of car audio wire I used, Stinger HPM had the better price and did the exact same job the Kicker Hyperflex and Knu 1/0 that was in before it. Then I switched to welding wire(2/0) and never looked back, cheaper and available in bigger gauges. I would just replace the Stinger HPM with welding wire 3/0 or 4/0 less wire to run.

Edited by jay-cee

It's all good. I was just scratching my head going WTF is he saying here. LOL.

'This stuff was made in New York City?' ;)