Adrian_D

Big brake upgrade thoughts

It's about time to replace my front pads on the Jeep and looks like I will need to replace my disks also.

There's a company called Vanco which makes a big brake kit. 12" rotor vs 11" rotor stock and Explorer Sport-Trac calipers.

I've looked around and it seems like I can use the Sport-trac rotor. Sport-trac calipers come in 2 different sizes, one has 2 48mm pistons, the other has 2 46mm pistons. Stock Jeep caliper has 1 66mm piston. Comparing the surface, 2 48mm pistons have more surface while the 2 46mm have a smaller surface.

I can source the smaller Explorer caliper locally for a good price and then it would cost me disks + pads.

Is the smaller caliper piston surface (compared to stock) a big hindrance if I go with the bigger diameter disks ?

Oh yeah, I will do my own machining and even my own 2-piece rotors (Grade 10 hardware is ready) if needed so custom stuff is not a problem smile.png

It's about time to replace my front pads on the Jeep and looks like I will need to replace my disks also.

There's a company called Vanco which makes a big brake kit. 12" rotor vs 11" rotor stock and Explorer Sport-Trac calipers.

I've looked around and it seems like I can use the Sport-trac rotor. Sport-trac calipers come in 2 different sizes, one has 2 48mm pistons, the other has 2 46mm pistons. Stock Jeep caliper has 1 66mm piston. Comparing the surface, 2 48mm pistons have more surface while the 2 46mm have a smaller surface.

I can source the smaller Explorer caliper locally for a good price and then it would cost me disks + pads.

Is the smaller caliper piston surface (compared to stock) a big hindrance if I go with the bigger diameter disks ?

All I can add it that you dodn't want to go with cheap rotors. They warp very easy

Centric is what I have in mind, unless I can source Brembo / ATE / Ferodo cheaper locally.

I have heard good reviews on them.

I don't have much to help, but I did have the vanco big brake kit on my TJ. It was definitely a big improvement.

You don't happen to have pictures of the calipers ? smile.png

There is an obvious difference between the Sport-trac and the Explorer calipers (which were used first by Vanco and same piston bore as the smaller Sport-trac caliper). Big improvement you say smile.png

I don't, sorry. I sold the jeep a year or so ago, and didn't take any pictures of the brakes.

I think they started with some ebc pads, yellow or reds, then had even better luck with black magic pads.

Have you jumped on any jeep forums? I'm sure there are tons of people doing similar, and have info.

While I love big brakes, it's cheaper and easier to use a better pad. That will give you the most significant change. Hawk and EBC make great street pads. This will be far more cost-effective for you and you'll probably see better results versus the upgrade in size. Keep in mind, when adding bigger brakes, you are also increasing the weight (unsprung) and it could have a negative impact versus a positive one. Try the pads first.

i switched to a slotted and cross drilled rotor on my black town car and it helped alot ,

I went to cross drilled/sloted with ebc red stuff, huge gain. big brake kit was 2grand...

edited to remove links

i'll be goin with big brake kit on my car but drilled rotors are not ideal for daily driving.. eats up your pads quicker. Slotted is plenty.

I'm increasing my rotor di by 2" and goin from single to quad piston caliper and still using Hawk pads and using stainless steel lines.

this kit is $1100. Wish it was cheaper but gotta get it when adding half a ton of weight to a car whose stock brakes on stock weight sucked anyway.

Edited by shizzzon

i'll be goin with big brake kit on my car but drilled rotors are not ideal for daily driving.. eats up your pads quicker. Slotted is plenty.

I'm increasing my rotor di by 2" and goin from single to quad piston caliper and still using Hawk pads and using stainless steel lines.

this kit is $1100. Wish it was cheaper but gotta get it when adding half a ton of weight to a car whose stock brakes on stock weight sucked anyway.

i need some stopping power since i have more weight it laggs to stop any recommendations

well.. i actually did what tirefryr said and just upgraded pads.. It did help for a while.. but after a year, it's been eatin thru the rotor quicker or it's just the rotor's time to go..

It's stock rotor on there since AUG 06.

So i gotta replace rotor now anyways. And my rotors are also warped too due to travel to shows when there is snow and ice on the ground. below freezing and heaving breaking and long driving will do it..

So, at the very least, i'd say pads.

Next, multi piston calipers but if u are gonna upgrade your rotor, u gonna have to get the same size rotor pretty much or else it's gonna be close call on the kit fitting inside the wheel.

You could upgrade to just slotted, stock Dia rotor, upgraded calipers and pads.

While I love big brakes, it's cheaper and easier to use a better pad. That will give you the most significant change. Hawk and EBC make great street pads. This will be far more cost-effective for you and you'll probably see better results versus the upgrade in size. Keep in mind, when adding bigger brakes, you are also increasing the weight (unsprung) and it could have a negative impact versus a positive one. Try the pads first.

EBC Yellowstuff was my first idea, however, seeing that I will more than likely need new rotors I thought about going up in size.

Bigger rotors are 7.5 lbs extra per wheel. Probably an extra 2-3.5 lbs for bigger calipers and it adds up to 10 lbs extra unsprung weight per wheel.

Seems like EBC Yellow is only $25 more than the Greens in the UK. I'll be going there in April and I can get them in my luggage, so no shipping cost.

But it's still up for discussion if the slightly smaller surface 2-piston caliper + bigger rotor = better performance than the stock single piston and rotor.

Keep in mind again that I'm not buying a kit, I'm making a kit, so cost will be smaller for sure, just a lot of extra work.

EBC Yellowstuff was my first idea, however, seeing that I will more than likely need new rotors I thought about going up in size.

Bigger rotors are 7.5 lbs extra per wheel. Probably an extra 2-3.5 lbs for bigger calipers and it adds up to 10 lbs extra unsprung weight per wheel.

Seems like EBC Yellow is only $25 more than the Greens in the UK. I'll be going there in April and I can get them in my luggage, so no shipping cost.

But it's still up for discussion if the slightly smaller surface 2-piston caliper + bigger rotor = better performance than the stock single piston and rotor.

Keep in mind again that I'm not buying a kit, I'm making a kit, so cost will be smaller for sure, just a lot of extra work.

i have stock brakes and ill be adding more weight i wanna upgrade my brakes any advice or knowledge you can share

You have a 2005 Grand Cherokee, I don't have too much info on upgrade ideas for that :(

It should already have bigger / better brakes compared to my XJ. Generally what Tirefryr said is the first thing to try, better pads.

Are you overheating your brakes now? Do they fade a lot in use? What is your goal with going bigger? I'm never opposed to larger brakes, but I think Ryan nailed it here a more aggressive pad might be all that you need.

I went to cross drilled/sloted with ebc red stuff, huge gain. big brake kit was 2grand...

The pads helped, the rotors not so much...unless bling is a help.

From the get go they simply don't have enough bite. I stomp on the brakes and it does not have enough bite. I can confirm that the current pads appear to be shite. The middle section of the inside of both disks appears to have not been used.

From the get go they simply don't have enough bite. I stomp on the brakes and it does not have enough bite. I can confirm that the current pads appear to be shite. The middle section of the inside of both disks appears to have not been used.

You have a caliper and/or pressure issue.

Are you overheating your brakes now? Do they fade a lot in use? What is your goal with going bigger? I'm never opposed to larger brakes, but I think Ryan nailed it here a more aggressive pad might be all that you need.

helped with fade, heavy driving around town, hard braking getting off the interestate

helped with fade, heavy driving around town, hard braking getting off the interestate

That was the pad upgrade. The drilled or slotted rotors are really only going to help with heat and gas dissipation which causes heat, which equals fade as you mentioned, but this should not be an issue unless you are towing, racing, and driving like Mario Andretti around town.

It's going to be hard pressed to beat picking up wilwood stuff..it's priced fair considering the amount of time you will have in piecing your own together.

The other thing you got to think about is will your calipers clear the inside of the rims with the larger rotors.

You've got larger tires on the XJ right? I know my heep is a joke with stopping the 35's.

Running 29's. I can only imagine it on 35's.

Wilwood is country-club stuff Nick sad.png

I've looked at pricing a 2-piece rotor and almost fell off my seat.

A buddy of mine runs 33's and he is rather pleased with stock brakes (new discs, good pads but certainly not EBC level). He is going to go with a WJ calipers and Explorer Sport-trac rotors. And after that's said and done, I will have a way to test if my stock wheels fit. Until then, I will go with either Black Magic brake pads or EBC Yellowstuff and new rotors. The Black Magic ones are supposed to be better than EBC. A lot of people claim to be able to lock up 35's on TJ's with Black Magic pads...

Vanco kit which I have mentioned a few posts ago fits most 15 inch wheels.

I'll take pics of my rotors to see if there might be an issue from their wear.

I've always used stoptech rotors with ebc pads. Drilled rotors are not for street use. If they are hot and get splashed with water they will crack.

Edited by Audibel Customs