SMpaintball78

my alt. pretty much exploded today.....

well i was at a stop light with the system on about 1/4 the way up so not drawing much power. my volt meter was reading 13.8-14V constent. then when i took off from the stop light i cranked her back up to around 3/4 volume ( slowly increased volume) and i heard a loud squeel from under the hood and everything shut off ( HU,amp subs, ect. ) my volt meter was going nuttsssss. it went from 14V down to 12.1 in a milla second and eveything was powered off so nothing was drawing power besides the truck running. so now i have to find a replacement alt with hardly any cash... im F'd in the A big time now.

Hard acceleration? Hot outside?

Yes stock 130 amp alternator. IV never had a problem out of it and all the sudden poof it's dead. Before it squeeled, the voltage was at a steady 13.8v so it didn't seem like it was under a lot of stress.

Nope regulare excelleration and it was 72 outside. I'm guess it just finally had enough of the aq3500 and just quite. I just went and drove my truck around the block with everything off and the voltage seemed fine. Steady 14-14.2v. I didn't bother turning the system on though

Your battery should've sustained the voltage for a little bit, not just a straight drop down to 12.1 in a second. Maybe it's the amp doing something that's pulling heavy current.

Edited by AllenH427

Well my volt meter is through my tuner so I'm pretty sure it reads the output of the alternator before the battery.

If the alt goes poof your voltage will drop instantaneously. A normal battery will only charge to 12.6 volts.

sounds more like a bearing locked up

mechman is always a great option... .

but if money is short

pretty sure i can get a cheap h/o for you.

If the alt goes poof your voltage will drop instantaneously. A normal battery will only charge to 12.6 volts.

The voltage will drop instantly yes.. but his audio equipment should not have turned off, especially if it were at 12.1v.

Sounds like the battery was undercharged because it was either low, or not enough batts in the vehicle for the setup.

Anyways, the voltmeter had to be lying about realtime voltage because your amp can handle voltages well below 12.1v and the short burst current from a battery will last longer than a split second to power that amp fine...

To me, sounds like you already had damaged part of the bridge rectifier and it was on it's last set of diodes (prob about 50A worth) and when you cranked a 3500w amp on a ~50A rectifier, lol, and i'm sure the rectifier is hella-hot from stressfully working all the time.. POOF

Well my volt meter is through my tuner so I'm pretty sure it reads the output of the alternator before the battery.

regardless of what it said, u cant have your stuff shut off at 12.1v, that's not low enough.

Idk man. Everything shut off. It was only for about 3 seconds before everything came back on

well, it came back on.. sounds like your battery wasis REAL REAL REAL LOW when it discharged when u lost your alt!

I'd be charging that batt back up soon before you use it again.

Ill put it on a charger tonight and see what happens

Ill put it on a charger tonight and see what happens

if your alt. went out your voltage would immediately drop down to 12s and would just go down from there...

Ok.. something happens to my alt. Today and its its fuck. It is time for a new one. Just somed up my post.. lol.

its funny, whenever i work the normal 20-25hrs/week at work (part time student), nothing breaks down or screws up.. BUT as soon as i start working some good hours (45hrs last week and as for this week, im on track for another 40+hr week) something goes wrong and i have to spend all my extra cash to fix it lol. anyone else have this problem?

http://www.car-part.com/index.htm

Choose your ride and part and scroll to the bottom and find the asterisk and click on that number and work your way back to the first page trying to find the one closest to you that's the cheapest, it will at least buy you some time till you can get an H/O alt when you have the funds.

Edited by Skullz

i have a new alt. all lind up thanks to a freind lol. and its H/O

me and lantz were talking...... and i need yall to give your opinion aswell...

he has a 3500 watt amp.... on the OEM battery... and a OEM alternator ...

IMO ,.. thats why the factory alt failed... and even if he gets another alternator and does not add more batteries he will fun into the same issue again....

i cant see how you have been running that amp as long as you have with out the amp its self having issues...

when i had my 3000D i ran 2 yellow tops in the rear, and a fatory OEM battery under the hood, with a 200 amp h/o and i had issues.......

it wasent untill i added 3 optimas in the rear my problems went away

its funny, whenever i work the normal 20-25hrs/week at work (part time student), nothing breaks down or screws up.. BUT as soon as i start working some good hours (45hrs last week and as for this week, im on track for another 40+hr week) something goes wrong and i have to spend all my extra cash to fix it lol. anyone else have this problem?

don't blow your money when you get it. Try saving some. Then when life happens, you can afford it.on sunday the ac in my house went out, now its fixed. If I blew all my money on my Camaro I wouldn't have had the 1000s of dollars to fix it. When you make it, save it.

Normally I only make $300 every two weeks and I don't spend a dime except on gas. My work is rather far away and I only get 15mog at the best.. $8/hr sucks big time. And I'm limited on hours.. atleast I was lol. Last week I clocked out with 45hrs and so far this week, I on track for another $40+hr week. I was planning on saving all of it but this happened but its gotta be fixed

me and lantz were talking...... and i need yall to give your opinion aswell...

he has a 3500 watt amp.... on the OEM battery... and a OEM alternator ...

IMO ,.. thats why the factory alt failed... and even if he gets another alternator and does not add more batteries he will fun into the same issue again....

i cant see how you have been running that amp as long as you have with out the amp its self having issues...

when i had my 3000D i ran 2 yellow tops in the rear, and a fatory OEM battery under the hood, with a 200 amp h/o and i had issues.......

it wasent untill i added 3 optimas in the rear my problems went away

to be honest.. im not sure how my alt and everything lasted as long as it did. even when i was driving and beating harddd, my voltage would only drop into the low 13's. and at idle, it would drop into the mid to low 12's.. how.. idk lol but i am going to pick up a yellow top under the hood and a deka 9a31 for the rear on the 15th of this month. before i upgrade to my future 2 aq2200's i will make sure my electric is up to par for it. id really like to get 2 or 3 xs d3100's in the back but once again, money is a issue lol