onebadmonte

A Suburban A Warhorse and a Pair of SMDeez

Thanks Rick. If you knew how long I had these horns and how long it really took me to get them installed, I'd probably be getting a slap upside the head and a " 'bout damn time" comment. biggrin.png

I've done that before...

Really nice man! I would love to hear an under dash horn setup. I have never even heard horns in a vehicle before :( I am such a rookie

Really nice man! I would love to hear an under dash horn setup. I have never even heard horns in a vehicle before sad.png I am such a rookie

Don't worry, most people haven't.

Very nice! smile.png

Thanks. :D

sweet im off next weekend... you have SOOO much stuff hugo its CRAZY

That'll work. We'll stay in contact. :D As for the second half of your comment, it's a condition I'm working on. I think they even have a pill for it. :D

Thanks Rick. If you knew how long I had these horns and how long it really took me to get them installed, I'd probably be getting a slap upside the head and a " 'bout damn time" comment. biggrin.png

I've done that before...

Well, the first step is admitting the problem. :P

lol i think its a nice crazy!

did the SemDEZ break your windsheild?

lol i think its a nice crazy!

did the SemDEZ break your windsheild?

No, I'm not that loud. :/ It actually happened driving to El Paso two Thanksgivings ago. There was a hard freeze in between  Ft Stockton and Van Horn. The windshield  started icing over, so I turned on the defrost full tilt. All of a sudden I saw this crack creeping along the windshield. It was nerve racking. :D

oh my yeah that will do it!

Wow, time flies when you're not in jail. biggrin.png I don't know how some of you guys do it, posting day in and day out with build updates and advice. Well I'm back with a little update of my own. smile.png

I opted to replace the compression drivers with something a little more robust. Here is what I got.

01_zpsc6c56c6b.jpg

Here is a little side by side of the original driver next to it's replacement. ohmy.png

02_zps445087d2.jpg

The Dayton driver is a little more substantial but nothing like what I use in my home stereo rig. biggrin.png

03a_zps6f8ca643.jpg

One more shot, now of the business end.

04_zps3364932d.jpg

Here is a shot of all three.

05_zps3c698f13.jpg

With a larger compression driver, I had to update the rear mounting bracket. Here is the horn assembly with the new rear bracket.

06a_zps011ea9a1.jpg

Before I get into the re-installation of the horn assemblies, I opted, after hearing many suggestions, to update the mounting hardware. biggrin.png

This is what I started off with.

07_zps50995106.jpg

Here is my painting rig with homedepot's finest 97cent rattle can paint.

08_zps65390a6b.jpg

After a couple of layers and a once over with a heat gun this is what I ended up with. smile.png

09_zps4b2a0ccf.jpg

Here is the final product.

010_zps34600327.jpg

Lastly, a shot of the underside.

011_zpsc1215375.jpg

Fingers crossed, hope it sounds good. LOL!

holly crap dude... i was hoping you were going to be out at american sounds on june 1st for the usaci show but  you no show :(

nice update sir. Initial thoughts on the change?

What do you think of the new compression drivers? What is your high pass setting for those? 

Keeping it clean as usual! I might have to pick your brain as far as ib setups go, if you have time.

holly crap dude... i was hoping you were going to be out at american sounds on june 1st for the usaci show but  you no show sad.png

:/ Dang, I thought that show was on the 8th so I really didn't pay attention to it since I'm going to the IASCA show in college station on the 8th. If I would have know it was on the 1st I would have at least shown up in the creampuff. Sorry man :( Lately my focus hasn't been on car audio, I've been having some other things going on that I'm hoping on working through for the best. Keep me posted on anything coming up. :D I will be at heat wave in austin fo sho. :)

nice update sir. Initial thoughts on the change?

Off the bat they weren't as bright as the drivers that came with the horns. They EQed  easier, not requiring as much EQ I mean. I've still have lots to learn though. I'm still at grasshopper level. :D

Very nice updates!

Thanks. :)

What do you think of the new compression drivers? What is your high pass setting for those? 

I like them.  For now it's just a high pass at 900Hz with a 24dB/oct slope.

Keeping it clean as usual! I might have to pick your brain as far as ib setups go, if you have time.

Thanks. No problem ask away. :D

What made you go the Dayton route for your compression driver? Lately I been thinking about just getting some horn bodies from Eric Stevens and experimenting with my own drivers. Thanks for any input.

How did you mount the Dayton driver to the horn?

The horns are bolt-on pattern as well as the Dayton drivers, either 2 or 3 bolt.

The horns are bolt-on pattern as well as the Dayton drivers, either 2 or 3 bolt.

I know that the horns have a two bolt pattern and that the Dayton's are both 2 or 3 bolt.  I have two sets of horns and researched the Dayton's. I asked onebadmonte specifically to see if he had any issues with mounting since I have not tried any other drivers other than the ESAudio Ultra's.

jay-cee, which compression drivers have you mounted on a ESAudio horn?

I only have the old ID minis to experiment with, since these bodies came in not so stellar shape I bit the bullet and bought some ES bodies yesterday. None so far as I'm looking at new drivers for them at the moment.

What made you go the Dayton route for your compression driver? Lately I been thinking about just getting some horn bodies from Eric Stevens and experimenting with my own drivers. Thanks for any input.

The Dayton's were on sale so I thought I'd give them a shot. They sound good, but I noticed they don't go as deep as I'd like them to. I'll probably experiment a little more and try the titanium diaphragm since the spec a lower crossover point. From there there is one more compression driver I'd like to try out before I settle on which to keep. Don't ask which one, cause I ain't tellin. :P

How did you mount the Dayton driver to the horn?

The Dayton driver mounted to the horn using the two hole pattern. No hole alignment issues. My only beef with the Dayton driver is that the threaded holes are metric. :/

Don't tease me like that, I wanna know. Haha, Im tuned in to this as I'm shopping for compression drivers at the moment.