95Honda

A well thought out 15" Mayhem build...

maybe some right angle rca adapters will give you clearance around the amp and lc2

might be a good idea... I think I have a few laying around...

Be prepared - sub needs a little time to stretch out before it starts sounding really good. Notice how stiff that cone is????

Brian

Yes I did notice... ;) Hard to believe it will move almost 3"... I would say it is the stiffest suspention I have ever used...

I can't wait to get this project rolling...

The Dampeners. You can see where I found the larger ones... I needed to find some with a 10-24 or 10-32 thread... Jegs was the only place I found that I didn't have to order a shit-ton from... I will use 6 of them for the amp...

005-2.jpg

OK, so the Mayhem arrived today. This things is pretty stout to say the least.

The 3500 and LC2i are oriented exactly the way they will be on the front of the box. You can see how tight the RCA connection will be. I am trying to figure out what RCA ends to use, I need to find some short ones. I was going to use some locking RCA's from Parts Express, but I think they will be too long. I see the P3 ones are pretty short... Any ideas? I plan on using microphone cable, I have several different types, 6-6.3mm O.D.

You can see the XLR connectors. I was making sure the cable will fit with the mesh braid over, I cut a small test piece. It fit fine and I could close the chuck on the strain relief all the way down. The cable is 18 awg 4 conductor shielded.

I am going to start on the box when I get back from New Mexico next week...

It has been a couple weeks past this post^ Dont know if you have made your cables or not.

The P3's are as short as I have found. I have 50 Streetwires 5.0 laying around and they are the same size. The issues is that the hole opening is small. Even after drilling them out a microphone cable is a super tight fit and honestly after a dap of solder on the grounds it is as tight as can possibly be. If you combine the ground and shield it becomes difficult to screw the outer jacket back on.

I like to add heat shrink to the bare RCA ends the screw the outer jacket on, not a good idea with microphone cable. There just isnt room. Hard to make them look good and be 100% functional.

Good luck

I ordered the P3 and Daytons, we'll see what works better. Thanks for the input!

The P3's will work fine.

The Dayton grills are here, they look awesome. I'll post some pics in the next few days...

looks good so far!!

tuned in for more pics

OK, started cutting some wood today. Got the basic parts done, the bracing will take another 1/2 day or so to cut. I decided on a 1.5" thick baffle that will be dado'd into the top/bottom/sides for extra strength. All wall will be effectively braced and there will also be a large center partition brace. I will also brace the vent.

So, here is the baffle being bonded before being cut to size, siting under about 500lbs of Zombie Prep materials:

002-3.jpg

Here is the cabinet just sitting there to get an idea of how it will look. The grill is jst sitting there with some wood shims holding it in place. There is a 1/4" gap around the edge that will be less than 1/8" once the Line-X is sprayed. Also, the grill isn't exactly flat as it isn't bolted down to the stand-offs I am building.

To give you an idea of size, that is a 18" x 28" grill. It will sit flush with the front, the baffle will be 2" behind it with the woofer countersunk flush...006-3.jpg004-5.jpg

I also made a $40 order to Fastenal. All hardware will be black oxide, including the washers. I ordered specific fasters for each application so it will look real nice when finished...

I am heading to San Diego for work next week, will get more done when I get back...

:popcorn:

Must be shooting some zombies from far away. :)

I'm tuned in to see the work, well laid out plans = very good results :)

I had a speak-on connector on one of my old box : I loved it. It was so easy to take out and put in ! No need to check + or -, you just click it in !

But you're right, it takes some room !

I sold the box to a friend and gave the connector back to my builder !!!

This build should be interesting.

Tuned in for sure !

Most of the pieces before assembly...

Tough to see on the bottom piece, (the rear piece) but it has all the recesses for the rubber vibration isolators. There are T-nuts behind and the isolators thread in and mount the electronics perfect, about 1/4" off the box... 003-3.jpg

Assembled and ready for Line-X...

The grill is just sitting there on some paint can caps, my hardware order still hasn't shown up.

I sprayed 1 gallon of deadener inside. I sprayed it during different stages of assembly, so every internal part is coated, even the inside of the vent on all portions.

You can see some of the braces, the vent is also braced, it is actually 2 vents. The box is heavy, but not super heavy. I am glad I dado'd the baffle in, that Mayhem is heavy and will be moving around alot... This box should never come apart...

So, I ended up using 1 and 1/2 sheets od MDF, 1 gallon of VBX-1 deadener, 1 pint of polyurethane glue, some bondo and a ton of T10 torx deck screws, maybe about 150. Every joint is screwed heavily. All joints turned out real nice.

When the Line-X goes on it will make everything flawless, looking forward to getting it done...

006-4.jpg008-4.jpg010-3.jpg013-3.jpg

017-2.jpg

BTW, that VBX-1 smells like shit. It has been about 12 hrs since I sprayed it, it is 90 degrees out todat with 10% humidity and it is still outgassing like a motherfucker, lol...

The box looks very nice! I like the grill idea.

BTW, that VBX-1 smells like shit. It has been about 12 hrs since I sprayed it, it is 90 degrees out todat with 10% humidity and it is still outgassing like a motherfucker, lol...

Oh well, I'm sick of that 'new car scent' anyway...

Looking awesome, great work as always!

Edited by doc

New car smell is overrated lol

Enclsoure looks like a pro audio sub.

Doesn't smell so bad now... Whatever solvent is in that stuff is nasty... Doesn't really help that there is a gallon in there also...

I like this look and have been doing it for some time now. It makes for a clean and tough enclosure... I tend to do this design for removable installs, which I do more than permanent really...

Stopped into the local Line-X shop today. Thier work looks good and prices haven't increased much in the last few years. Will probably get it sprayed Friday...