wannabang

08 Ford Edge. First build log.

Nice work.

Thank you! It's become a tad stressful with my deadline being 1 week. Hopefully everything will be here Monday and I can get the carpet somewhere local.

okay i was just curious because i have mine the whole way up by my amp. but i dont have it any where it can get hot and melt. so thats good. it was a more convient spot that we found plus the wire im running isnt very flexible

Umm, YIKES. The goal of the fuse isn't for the amp, but for the wire. If it isn't RIGHT at the source you might as well not even have it. Of course if your amp has no fuse then you need one locally to the distribution for it as well, but that should be sized for the amp while the other for the WIRE.

It'll also void your insurance if you have a problem and they figure out you screwed that up. I'd suggest fixing it PRONTO.

Finished the paint, port, and got the top put on. Still need to get some carpet for the floor. Anyone have any recommendations, local stores, that sell automotive carpet, or something thin that will pass for it?

I'll have pictures tomorrow.

You used to be able to buy automotive carpet at Walmart. They were 36 x 72 rolls and real cheap. I haven't seen it in a while but they may still carry it. Parts Express sells it and a little better quality. They are in Ohio and ship quick.

I'm trying to avoid shipping at this point, but I may have to hit that up if this Kraco stuff doesn't work out, or I decide not to use black...

Don't wanna sound like a dick haha but me and nem raided our local carpet shops dumpster for leftover carpet and padding with permission of course :P

I got some more progress done on the floor, just gotta screw all the pieces together, now. The box is half-caulked, and just needs the baffles, and the carpet is waiting to be put on. I picked up the last role from O'Reily's. They were the only place in town with tan. LoL.

Sorry to revert to topic back to the build, but I've got some pictures and a piece of the floor carpeted. Also, everything, but the sub, has arrived in the mail!

What I have done of the box so far.

20120818_112800.jpg

Port is nice and shiny.. maybe too shiny for the Galaxy S3 camera to focus...

20120818_112813.jpg

20120818_112831.jpg

Cut out the hole, too.

20120818_112742.jpg

And to decide which stain I wanted for the baffle:

20120818_112453.jpg

I ended up picking the one on the left. I figured it'd set off the chrome and give contrast to the tan the best.

The lid in the floor has been carpeted. The pieces on the side have not been put on, but they're there to hold the carpet's sides down and show y'all how it should end up going together.

20120818_210910.jpg

And all that came in the mail! XS Power i-bar 556 posts, 6 feet of ground wire, and two more fuses! Oh, and the XP950 came in, too (not pictured). That thing is super compact.

20120818_212907.jpg

Car should be wired and the floor should be carpeted by Monday. Looking forward to getting this all done, fellas!

Small update:

Got the batteries in, and the floor carpeted with the exception of the front, beauty panel. The back piece will have to be carpeted with two different pieces. The box's baffle has to be stained again and all of it painted for it to be completed. The sub won't be here in time, so I won't have it totally completed until it does (should be within a week).

20120821_153435.jpg

Just got home from getting the windows done. Pretty happy. He recommended 28%, but I got 18%. For $85, not bad.

All pictures taken with sun directly overhead/slightly toward front of car.

20120815_151213.jpg

20120815_151222.jpg

20120815_151244.jpg

20120815_151323.jpg

I'm not sure that it's actually darker than the rear, as it looks in the last picture, but the hue is definitely different. I'm happy.

85$!! :wtf:

I hope that can with Life time warrenty, and gaurentee never to bubble or fade...

Small update:

Got the batteries in, and the floor carpeted with the exception of the front, beauty panel. The back piece will have to be carpeted with two different pieces. The box's baffle has to be stained again and all of it painted for it to be completed. The sub won't be here in time, so I won't have it totally completed until it does (should be within a week).

20120821_153435.jpg

Looks good mate! cheers

Get it in already ;)

Just got home from getting the windows done. Pretty happy. He recommended 28%, but I got 18%. For $85, not bad.

All pictures taken with sun directly overhead/slightly toward front of car.

20120815_151213.jpg

20120815_151222.jpg

20120815_151244.jpg

20120815_151323.jpg

I'm not sure that it's actually darker than the rear, as it looks in the last picture, but the hue is definitely different. I'm happy.

85$!! wtf.gif

I hope that can with Life time warrenty, and gaurentee never to bubble or fade...

Yessir. Lifetime warranty, never bubble/fade/crack, and a refund if I find any imperfections within 30 days. Real nice guy.

Small update:

20120821_153435.jpg

Looks good mate! cheers

Gracias, amigo! That empty hole has since been filled with the wire that will run to the amp.

Sub's been shipped, but I start classes Monday. Build to continue next weekend.

The sub arrived at the house yesterday, and my dad graciously finished the staining for me. I'll be home to get it all put together this weekend! Thanks for the patience!

Screenshot_2012-08-30-23-17-58-1.jpg

(Sorry for the shitty quality. It's a screenshot I enlarged on my phone....) Should look real nice against the tan interior!

Everything was going great today...

20120831_163928.jpg

20120831_164031.jpg

20120831_164217.jpg

20120831_170015.jpg

20120831_180756.jpg

...and yes, I do realize I have to paint that one edge...

20120831_180738.jpg

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!

20120901_111907.jpg

...the story is, my screwdriver actually broke in half (shaft away from handle), not sure how, but the shaft went through the cone... dammit.gifangry2.gif

**ehow says I can fix this with some silicone sealer. Anyone think I should try that before ordering a recone kit?

Edited by wannabang

Nail polish or shoe gloo.

Cool, walmart has that for cheap. Let's see what happens. Apply and hope for the best! I have to run the ground wire and plug everything into the amp, so if the shoe goo works, I'll be bumping by tomorrow. Thanks, Stefan.

Cool, walmart has that for cheap. Let's see what happens. Apply and hope for the best! I have to run the ground wire and plug everything into the amp, so if the shoe goo works, I'll be bumping by tomorrow. Thanks, Stefan.

No problem. It shouldn't take much, I would apply a light layer, let it dry for 45min, then do again once or twice.

Also for future reference I believe silicone shares a chemical with a lot of the foam surrounds, so when applied it can deteriorate the foam.

Box looks nice by the way, I really like the mounting panel's finish.

Edited by stefanhinote

No problem. It shouldn't take much, I would apply a light layer, let it dry for 45min, then do again once or twice. Also for future reference I believe silicone shares a chemical with a lot of the foam surrounds, so when applied it can deteriorate the foam. Box looks nice by the way, I really like the mounting panel's finish.

I definitely noticed that when I looked at all the adhesives WalMart had. I picked one up that was foam-safe, but it was labeled "Crafter Adhesive" or something, so we'll see how it holds..

Also, thank you. Looks good in the car. Next weekend I'll probably have some more free time to get some more done. Damn, I guess it's good only going to school 20 minutes from home.

Turned out great!

Sucks about the moofer. Were you able to fix it?

Nice build, things turn out nice when you take your time and dont rush. Sucks about the sub!

aw crap , u must have wanted to kick your own ass when that happen lol , it happens to all of us

next time : position the sub , mark holes with a pecil or marker , remove sub , predrill the holes & use a lowlower speed on the drill

Turned out great!

Sucks about the moofer. Were you able to fix it?

I applied the adhesive and after about 30 minutes I pressed down on the cone and the bond didn't break, so I'm optimistic!

Nice build, things turn out nice when you take your time and dont rush. Sucks about the sub!

It probably was due to the rushing... the anxiety was great.

aw crap , u must have wanted to kick your own ass when that happen lol , it happens to all of us

next time : position the sub , mark holes with a pecil or marker , remove sub , predrill the holes & use a lowlower speed on the drill

I was actually using a hand-powered screwdriver. LOL I always do in an attempt to avoid this very thing.

Thanks for the pity and compassion, y'all. I'll be home this weekend before a concert to run the amp ground and screw the sub in. Should be dandy.

Use amazing goop, that is your best bet.

Definitely agree that Amazing Goop works well