RJT2011

What sub would perform better in this box?

Ok this is one of my first posts and I'm pretty audio ignorant so bear with me. I have a 2008 silverado duramax crew cab and a sundown 1200 mono amp. I know the box has to go under the seat unless I do crazy customization so there isn't much room. The box that has been recommended to me by a few people is this one

http://subthump.com/Chevrolet-GMC-Sub-Boxes/Silverado-Sierra-Crew-Cab/07-Up-New-Body-Style-GM-Crew-Cab-Dual-Downfire-Box.html

It holds 2 10s and has a mounting depth of 6.5 with .83 ft per chamber and it's sealed. Downfiring. I know a g con and a sa10 would fit but the sa 10 requires .5ft while the gcon ranges from .85-1.25. I need to know what two subs would sound better with that setup, and im open for suggestions on a dif box too! Any help will be appreciated I messaged denim about it but I feel bad for bothering the guy he's busy I know.

The SA is not as happy in a sealed enclosure.

SSA will work pretty good.

I also have pair of Memphis HPO 10's that would work out really well in that enclosure if your interested.

Thanks for the offer man but I'm really just trying to decide between the gcon and sa. Being that the box won't have enough ft to support the gcon what does that mean? G con needs .85 this one has .83 and I think it will lose more ft when the sub is installed? I think that's displacement? I'd aprreciate some help guys!

Go with the gcon and add some poly fill. Should be fine in that box

Edited by swift

I sealed my SA's at one point and hated them. I'm not hating on the Sa's as I did like them ported, but sealed I would not recommend.

Thanks for the replies! I also just noticed the skar audio vvx10. I looked around and it seems that if you divide the Fms number(hertz) and the qes number and the result is below 50 and up to about 75, then a sealed box is better suited. Well I may have screwed up royally because I'm so new to this but I did the sa which came out to be 64.5, the gcon, which came out to be 61.4, and the vvx, which came out to be 57.8. Now assuming I did right, does that mean the skar would work best in a sealed box compared? I also read that if your box doesn't have enough cubes it doesn't sound as good. Taking sub displacement into account wouldn't that mean that .83 cubes would not suit well with the gcon? The skar needs .65 and after displacement I figured that'd put it closer to optimal output than the g con or sa. I know I'm probably wrong so please correct me people haha.

I don't recommend the Skar, between the GCON and SA I vote GCON for sure due to you using a sealed enclosure.

Ok thanks! Will it be a big deal that my sundown 1200 won't be able to push them to their rms rating?

Ok thanks! Will it be a big deal that my sundown 1200 won't be able to push them to their rms rating?

Not at all. Don't think of an RMS rating as what a sub "needs". 600 watts a piece is perfect.

I can also tell you the sa line isn't that great sealed. It isn't terrible until you hear it ported.

Another vote for the gcon as well.

May also consider Fi Q series. It is one of very few subs I thought sounded good sealed. And they don't require much airspace either.

gcon

Thanks for the input guys....bout to order the gcons. Think they'll bump pretty hard in a downfiring box? My only worry is they won't be loud enough I'm fairly sure they'll sound clean though most sealed boxes I've heard do. They just seem to have not as much volume but these subs seem pretty damn legit and I know my sundown amp is at least decent.

I have the same truck and built a box much like the subthump box. I'll be running dcon 10s in it. But I'm not looking for shear output. I had sundowns in the truck last year and hated them for daily use. Did ok in competition though.

Idk how to quote on here yet but Steve why didn't you like the sa's? And I hadn't even looked at the dcons. Now I'm wondering if they'd do better in my box haha. But I feel that my amp would overpower them unless I turned it down if that's even possible. I'm gonna figure out this audio stuff eventually I love it too much not to.

Idk how to quote on here yet but Steve why didn't you like the sa's? And I hadn't even looked at the dcons. Now I'm wondering if they'd do better in my box haha. But I feel that my amp would overpower them unless I turned it down if that's even possible. I'm gonna figure out this audio stuff eventually I love it too much not to.

The DCONs are great subs but the GCONs will be better for your application.

The quote button is in the bottom right corner of each post.

The DCONs are great subs but the GCONs will be better for your application.

The quote button is in the bottom right corner of each post.

Ahhh my iPhone hid it Til I actually clicked the bottom right corner. Damn man thanks a lot you've helped me the most with my sub setup so far.

Fi Q imo

don't use polyfill.

Good option, but the Q is ~ $100 more than the GCON.

Fi Q imo

don't use polyfill.

Why not use Polyfill?

I used the sa8s and they selfdestructed. The new sa8s seem better. I don't know much about the 10s. Ssa drivers are just better design and build quality. That's why I buy only ssa subs anymore. The Qs are bad ass too. I had two under my seat for a while also. My truck had seen lots of different set ups.

Gcon hands down amongst those three in that box, but of course the VVX is a joke so even with a different box I'd avoid it unless you have some really strange audio goals.

Gcon sealed is yummy.