Sign in to follow this  
TreezNSteez

what else does my box need?

im having one hell of a time trying to cut a couple 45's, do i really need them?

imag0096te.jpg

i have some stuff to seal the edges, its not caulk though. what do i need to brace it.

gonna sand it all since theres some excess glue all over the place, and my top wont fit right cause the port walls are a little taller, so i need to sand that down.

and finally, will it be a problem since one sub is unloading on the port wall?

comments, suggestions?

What drivers are you using? Depending on drivers, you may want to double baffle.

Doing anything with the lower right hand corner part?

A lot of people use wooden dowel rods. Cheap, take up little volume, and seem to work well for bracing.

The driver in front of the port wall shouldn't be an issue.

im using 2 sundown sa12's.

the lower right hand corner is just unused space. somehow my pieces didnt fit perfectly.

im using 2 sundown sa12's.

the lower right hand corner is just unused space. somehow my pieces didnt fit perfectly.

Must be magic.

If you don't double baffle then I would add some hefty bracing to that panel. Perhaps a rectangular panel between the drivers, with holes cut through it.

Like this:

Response-bracing.jpg

oh yeah, i was planning on having a double baffle.

and do i need 45's in all my corners?

From what I've read on the forums it doesn't seem like they do too much, but I don't many boxes either, so might be better to wait until others chime in.

I havent really noticed a difference between using 45s and not using them. they do however make the box a little stronger... also, I have been told that they do not make a difference with airflow until the radius is 3"... but I have never tested that theory.

ok, ill just skip the 45's then, not worth the hassle. my saw isnt the best.

just picked up a couple dowel rods.

getting my amp tomorrow, so hopefully i can get this box done tonight.

i say brace on a need to brace basis test it out first. get some basic bracing though.

Do you have a compound Miter saw? If so cut your 45's on it. Also if you didn't account for 45's they will throw off tuning some

Edited by swift

Do you have a compound Miter saw? If so cut your 45's on it. Also if you didn't account for 45's they will throw off tuning some

Wouldn't raise it enough to be perceived any different though.

i think my tuning is already off. i need to plug it all back into the calculator and see what comes up. hopefully its not to bad because theres no way in hell im making another box.

More then likely you can just add length to the port if you need to lower the tuning.

Looks like you compensated for the full width of the front baffle instead of making the side full depth.

Little weird to leave it like that but I suppose it won't hurt anything.

Double baffle or not I would use a dowel rod from the front baffle between the 2 subs to the back wall. Then another dowel in the center next to that dowel from the top to bottom. There is no such thing over bracing. Well, I guess if you get so carried away you displace a lot of volume doing so.

I can't tell the width of your port, but you may need put a short dowel between the side and port wall to keep that panel from flexing. Especially since you aren't using a 45 on that corner.

If you plan on building many enclosures I'd recommend picking up a router, a couple bits and a circle jig. After you learn how to use them it makes it easier and better results. Hope you aren't going to try and sand the port by hand.

May i ask why not sand port by hand?

May i ask why not sand port by hand?

Nothing wrong--just going to take a long time.

Took me only i couple atrokes to get it nice and smooth. Guess good practice lmao... Oops

I think you should have took the time to do 45's on the port though. Or better yet! Do some kerfing!

kerfing is where it is at!

I think you should have took the time to do 45's on the port though. Or better yet! Do some kerfing!

Seriously, kerfing, dude is already having a hard time doing a slot port.