KenC210

A good maintainier charger

So i am in the process of a full rebuild and part of the rebuild consist of new batteries. I have all xs power batteries, a d5100r and a xp3000. What would be a decent charger i could have on them? Also what kind of on-board maintainer charger would be good to use?

Get the xs intellicharger 1215, it's small and does a great job, I love mine. it can be installed inside vehicle and just run a extension cord out to the car once a week or so

Well i was looking at the ctek 7002 but i am unsure to use it because of the battery capacity. The ctek says charging 14-150ah and maintaining 14-225ah. I didnt want to get the xs intellicharger due to the price. I was looking for more of a cheaper alternative.

http://batterytender...CFRRynAod8kcAYg

I used this on my Viper (and most other owners do). Vipers are known for phantom computer draws that'll kill a battery in a few weeks.

Would i be able to use the battery tender for my application? To charge both in series the d5100r and the xp3000

The battery tender is not a charger. It is used to maintain a battery by keeping it charged over periods of time from storage and such.

For example my stock 2000 viper would drain a brand new odyssey 1500 in two weeks if I didn't drive it. With the Tender I kept the same battery in the car for five years until I sold it and the battery still tested and worked fine when I sold the car.

Yeah i meant to maintain them not charge. Then to put the battery tender on the batteries when the car is parked i should be fine? I plan to use it every night unless i forget one night

Yea they make one that's water proof.

Mine was a normal one. It has a quick disconnect plug with ring terminals on the other end. The battery on the gen two viper is in the rear quarter panel so you have to remove the tire to get to it. So I mounted the disconnect plug on the undercarriage so I had easy access to it.

http://batterytender...CFRRynAod8kcAYg

I used this on my Viper (and most other owners do). Vipers are known for phantom computer draws that'll kill a battery in a few weeks.

Would i be able to use the battery tender for my application? To charge both in series the d5100r and the xp3000

Do you mean parallel? WIring the batts in series would yield 24VDC.

I have used a Battery Tender for years. It's wonderful. You would want to get at least a two bank unit and hook directly up to either battery.

battery tender plus is a battery charger/maintainer the positive thing about it is it doesn't charge over 14v but its drawback is that it charges around 1.25 amps so you will easily give it more than it can chew if you are trying to top off a battery bank. Its good for one battery but depending on how low the one gets you can end up leaving it charging overnight. It has two lights a red for charging and a green to let you know its in float mode.

The XSpower charger is perfect as it doesn't go over 14.4v and charges at 15amps thats a big difference but if you have say 6 D3100's I would imagine it could take a bit as well.

I have heard good things about CTEK chargers but again pay attention to your battery bank size regardless which one you use.

I will confess I had to sell my XS charger a few months back and fell back to the BT plus and it took way to long so I recently picked up a schumacher charger 1500 model as it has for AGM type and the option to select between 5, 10 and 15 amps of charge. Only thing that has me a bit worried is that it stays in the 15v range for a while my S3400 is long in the tooth regardless so if I end up having to replace it I will actually moving up in battery size under the hood. I set it at 15 amps on AGM and once it hits full charge then the voltage cycles every few seconds to 15v then down to 14v then back up and down maintaining/float mode.

I like my Schumacher charger/maintainer. got it for around 60-70 from walmart.

I picked the one I have up at o'reilly's for around 75 bucks.

Battery tender has a 5amp 12v charger but its $125 bucks I would save a bit more and just get the XSpower charger. Heres the link to the BTP 5 amp charger.

http://batterytender.com/products/industrial-applications/power-tender-plus-12v-at-5a.html

200 bucks is hella expensive when you can get a 60 amp power supply for 225.

Batter tender does what it is designed to do, tend the battery, not charge the battery overnight because you don't have a proper alternator or battery bank on your vehicle.

Battery Tender is proven to work over many months on rv's, boats and such and they come with a ten year replacement warrantee.

lol

http://www.impactbattery.com/schauer-12-volt-battery-charger-jac1212.html

schauer jac1212

15A

have had it for about a year.

Took about 3 days to charge up my bank of 5 batteries.

cant beat it for the price i think i found it for 70$ gotta shop around

Short Description

The Battery Tender® Plus is a 1.25 amp battery charger designed to fully charge a battery and maintain it at proper storage voltage without the damaging effects caused by trickle chargers. Included is a quick connect ring terminal harness for hard to reach areas and alligator clips for an alternate connection.

• Temperature compensated to ensure optimum charge voltage according to ambient temperature.
  • Automatically switches from full charge to float charging mode.
  • Battery Tender® at 1.25 amps will charge as fast or faster than any 3 amp charger available.
  • Reverse Polarity Protection to ensure user safety. Red & Green Lights Alternately Flash in this condition.
  • Complete 4-step charging program (Initialization, Bulk Charge, Absorption Mode, Float Mode).
  • 10 year Warranty!

^^ i like that one better lol..

4 stage i think the one i have is only 3.

wonder if i can get that at a discount from my job

Yes sir Dj Thats why even though I have owned the XS charger love its compact size and power I was thinking about picking up the older style charger as that has a 25amp option that I'm sure would come in handy for large battery banks or more than one big battery.

just go down to charging time,

http://www.battery-chargers.com/charging_instructions.htm

This is a chart that shows charging time depending on size of battery. Numbers might change from company to company but example is the same.

Edited by crunkjuice1

^^ i like that one better lol..

4 stage i think the one i have is only 3.

wonder if i can get that at a discount from my job

But the one you have puts out 12 amps as to the 1.25 or 5 amps depending on the model you get. I'd stick with what you have.